Author Topic: can Tyler Zeller be a starting center?  (Read 7534 times)

can Tyler Zeller be a starting center?
« on: July 11, 2014, 08:40:28 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
If he puts on 10-15 pounds of weight without really affecting his quickness and athleticism , can he be a starter in this league??  Or bc his of standing 8'8.5 standing reach it won't matter anyways and the best he could be is a nice role player off the bench??

Zeller kind of reminds me of PJ Brown. Similar kind of bodies, quick, decent leapers, good iq, responsible and near auto 15-17 ft jump shots.  But also like PJ Brown may not be able to play FT center. 

Re: can Tyler Zeller be a starting center?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 08:50:58 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
If he puts on 10-15 pounds of weight without really affecting his quickness and athleticism , can he be a starter in this league??  Or bc his of standing 8'8.5 standing reach it won't matter anyways and the best he could be is a nice role player off the bench??

Zeller kind of reminds me of PJ Brown. Similar kind of bodies, quick, decent leapers, good iq, responsible and near auto 15-17 ft jump shots.  But also like PJ Brown may not be able to play FT center.
Good comparison. I think PJ was maybe an inch shorter than Zeller. In any case, yes, I think Zeller could start eventually.

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 08:51:34 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
As of right now I'm thinking he's going to be our starting center, still like to upgrade.

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 08:54:19 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Zeller has started 64 games in the NBA.
So yes, he can be a starting center.

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 08:56:42 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
As of right now I'm thinking he's going to be our starting center, still like to upgrade.

I think so. The only way otherwise is if Vitor brings his A game or Sullinger and KO duo is better than Zeller/Sully or Zeller/KO duo (not likely).

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 09:00:09 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
He's our starting center by default. If you are asking if he can be the starting center on a contender then that's a different question.

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 09:03:47 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
He's our starting center by default. If you are asking if he can be the starting center on a contender then that's a different question.

well that's what i'm asking.

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 09:05:10 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
If Zeller can reach PJ Brown's ceiling in the defensive end, the deal Danny pulled will end up a high way robbery.

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 09:10:42 PM »

Offline Londongreen

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 4
If Vitor can bring his best, then he might share starts. Youtube has a chanel with Vitors game, he can pass, finish with both hands, Like to play Pick and Roll, takes charges, is physical, can dunk(barely) and can block shots and loves to rebound and can shoot three's.

While Zeller is athletic and has mid range game and might fit brads stysem more.

Aint seen much of Zeller but hear he is reliable more than Vitor, who like green shows up some times and then looks lost.

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 09:15:25 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

well that's what i'm asking.

Ok, then the answer is no. He can be a decent backup center on a contender.

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 09:15:58 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
If Vitor can bring his best, then he might share starts. Youtube has a chanel with Vitors game, he can pass, finish with both hands, Like to play Pick and Roll, takes charges, is physical, can dunk(barely) and can block shots and loves to rebound and can shoot three's.

While Zeller is athletic and has mid range game and might fit brads stysem more.

Aint seen much of Zeller but hear he is reliable more than Vitor, who like green shows up some times and then looks lost.

I agree. Vitor was lost alot last season and didn't much toughness to the table.  Zeller doesn't have either of these issues. I like his toughness.  10-15 pounds in a year or two is not out of the question either. But definitely it can't hamper his quickness and decent leaping ability. These are advs he has over other centers in the nba

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 09:21:57 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Vitor has talent and size, but he often looked like he just rolled out of bed when checking into the game, and was walking up and down the court half asleep and out of shape. He's like a guy you would see at the local outdoor court who decides to step in for a few plays, chuck up a few threes, throw an elbow or two, and roll back to the sidelines to smoke a joint or eat a burger.

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 09:22:24 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I question the legitimacy of his standing reach of 8'8.5".  That's unusually low for a guy his height and should be noticeable when watching him play, but I don't see it.  His reach looks normal to me.
At 6'11.25" barefoot, he is on the tall side for a center.

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 09:30:18 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKlsRYLAQFQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkvP6ytFQX8

Some nice games by Zeller. The bad part from both games is that opponents scored alot of points. Hard to pin point if some/alot of it had to do with Zeller or Cleveland's team defense

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 09:35:15 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I question the legitimacy of his standing reach of 8'8.5".  That's unusually low for a guy his height and should be noticeable when watching him play, but I don't see it.  His reach looks normal to me.
At 6'11.25" barefoot, he is on the tall side for a center.

I think is valid. If you look at his shoulders, it goes downwards from neck to arms.  It makes his wingspan look longer than it is.  But when he raises his arms, not sure if its his traps/neck , it doesn't look long enough for a C.  Like some ppl said, he might have a long neck that makes him 7ft tall.   

The ok part about this is that he has a 34 inch vertical leap and a normal max reach . Joahkim Noah only has like a 8'10 reach , similar profile as Zeller but with added 15-20 pounds since being drafted, has been able to hold his own