Author Topic: Brandon bass almost traded to GS, using GS TE  (Read 5630 times)

Re: Brandon bass almost traded to GS, using GS TE
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2014, 09:07:57 AM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
I'm a total geek who loves this stuff (CBA, TPE, DKC, LOL ;))... a few comments:

Not sure how big GS's TE was, but to me you do it for a protected 2nd Rounder if you can include Anthony:

- Gives the Celtics a new TE around $9 Million
- Frees up minutes for our young guys
- Gets us away from the Luxury Tax

That's actually not how it works. If BOS was to have traded both Bass and Anthony (into 2 different parts of GSW's TPE) and get a 2nd rounder back then we'd get two TPE's back --- one for ~$6M (Bass) and one for $3.3M (Anthony) not one mega-TPE.

Wizards just got an $8.5 million trade exception. Maybe Pierce could talk them into trading for Bass.

How did the Wizards get a TPE?

In the Ariza trade.

Was Ariza a S&T to Houston?

That would be odd.

Yeah it turned into a weird sprawling 3-team deal that involved Ariza, Asik, Omri Casspi (NOP), Alonzo Gee (HOU), and Melvin Ely (Was).

WAS did it obvs to get the TPE; HOU did it to make sure the Asik trade went through (NOP was struggling to make the $$ fit w/o cutting a player of substance) where they got a #1 pick from NOP. A sign-and-trade would also allow them to offer Ariza slightly higher raises annually (though his contract is structured to go down each year (an option I'm surprised more teams don't use) so that doesn't much matter).

------------

Seems like there's some context missing.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/lebron-james-cleveland-cavaliers-aftermath-miami-heat/

Yeah, James held up NBA business for 11 days while he decided his future. Teams were angry. Some had assets that evaporated during the wait, including the Warriors, who considered Brandon Bass and other names in exchange for a trade exception that expired yesterday at midnight. But everyone takes time to mull hard professional decisions. Those are times to be careful, to bounce ideas off of everyone in your inner circle. LeBron inconvenienced the league, but it was just that ?€” an inconvenience ?€” and smart teams did whatever business they could in the interim.
This is hilarious. Did the Warriors really think they were going to land LeBron, Bosh, or Wade? Let's not pretend this is somehow LeBron's fault and not just poor team management.

I don't think that's what Lowe was saying they were thinking.

Lowe's point was that until Lebron announced where he was signing few teams were going to do anything of substance with their assets (cap room, TPEs, etc) since his signing would indirectly affect what would happen (or could happen) to any number of other players that they could in fact land or whose signing could have an affect on players they could land: i.e. Bosh, Love, Melo, Lin, Parsons, etc.

A team like GSW was unwilling to use their TPE on someone like Bass if they were still in the running for a guy like Love (and would instead need it for Kevin Martin). If Lebron re-signed with MIA, there might have been a small but non-zero chance MIN saw GSW as the best option for Love and they could make it happen before the GSW TPE expired. With Lebron signing in CLE, MIN can use the poss. of a Wiggins-Love trade to push GSW to include Klay T and Dray G, etc.

---------------

HOU is having an odd offseason. They gave/got...

Gave: Asik, Lin, Chandler Parsons, Omri Casspi, HOU 2015 #1, LAC 2015 #2
Got: Ariza, a $8.4M TPE, and a NOP #1 pick (protected #1-4 and #21-30).

---------------

One last thing on TPEs. Zach Lowe tweeted out an article from Mark Deeks who shared and NBA memo that -- if I was understanding correctly -- sought (among other things) to clarify trade rules to reduce teams acting as salary dumping grounds in 3-team trades (via cap space or the use of TPEs).

I wonder if the NBA pushes to reduce the use of the TPE if more teams are going to structure deals  like Bogans, Jameer Nelson, etc with the last year unguaranteed. We're already seeing this more --- so their salaries can be used to add up in trades, but who can be waived by the receiving team.
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!