Author Topic: Was Mike Moser the best player on our summer league team?  (Read 6790 times)

Re: Was Mike Moser the best player on our summer league team?
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2014, 09:55:57 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
If you were disenchanted with KO, I can't imagine how you'd be impressed with Moser.  He hit a few open threes but wasn't creating anything for himself or anyone else at all.

When KO and Smart were off the floor, the SL team fell apart.  Pressey could handle the ball but his shooting wasn't good and he had a lot of turnovers.

I thought KO's offense was OK.  I'd still like him to be more aggressive.  I also thought he wasn't doing great on the boards but in the game he didn't play they were nightmarish on the boards.  KO comes back and they held their own.  Just his blocking out makes a huge difference allowing the guards to come in and get rebounds.

Smart's defense was as advertised.  He gets his hands on a LOT of passes.  I think he will be really good.  He could have drawn four or five more offensive charges but the refs were really letting players get away with a ton.

Iverson just isn't good enough.  Nothing against the guy but defensively he doesn't block shots and offensively he doesn't do much of anything but fumble passes.

Bertans I really liked but there just isn't a spot for another 2 guard on this team.

Pressey shot horribly but at least created shots for others and at times was a pest defensively.

Moser doesn't have the handles of a 3 nor the size and athletic ability of a 4.  His defense wasn't great nor his passing.  He is a guy who can't create his own shot and probably not good enough of a shooter to make it on just his shooting.  Good player, maybe be a role player in a few years if he improves other parts of his game.

Everyone else was AWFUL.  How many assists could KO, Smart or Pressey have had if Johnson, Baab, and the others could have thrown it in the ocean.  Most of those guys didn't look like D League players.  We had no size at all behind KO and Iverson.  No shooting outside of KO and Moser when he was wide open and only KO, Smart and Pressey were creating shots for other guys.  Just a pathetic roster when compared to other teams.

Very well put man!  I agree on just about all of it.  I do think KO was pretty great on offense besides that he kind of refused to jack shots (which he should have, even though he still scored well anyways).

Smart is taking a lot of heat right now for his shooting percentage but the more I thought about it the more I came to the realization: who else out there should be shooting?  And who even COULD shoot and make a shot on their own?

Being on our real team, fitting in as a piece, will be so different it's hardly worth worrying about.

The Celtics, proper, have really lacked this in my opinion outside of a few players so Smart will help out big time and be asked to do less.

And yes he's great on defense.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2014, 10:13:56 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Babb and Johnson lost their hunger and both were outplayed by Moser and Bertans.  I don't think Iverson will be able to beat out Vitor or Zeller.   

I rate us Olynyk, Smart, Moser, Bertans, Pressey, Jackson and Iverson in summer league ranking.  I don't know if the stats bear it out though.  This is off the cuff.   Babb and Johnson looked lost on offense.   I expected a step up not a stumble.
I agree he won't beat out Zeller.  However, my guess is Vitor will be injured much of the season.  Think about it.  He was either out injured or played injured much of last year and he's still not healed.  Something's up....I would like to keep Iverson as an insurance policy.   

Would rather play Sully and KO at the 5 than have to sign Iverson if we run out of spots.

Everyone else was AWFUL.  How many assists could KO, Smart or Pressey have had if Johnson, Baab, and the others could have thrown it in the ocean.  Most of those guys didn't look like D League players.  We had no size at all behind KO and Iverson.  No shooting outside of KO and Moser when he was wide open and only KO, Smart and Pressey were creating shots for other guys.  Just a pathetic roster when compared to other teams.

Also, now that you mention it, I would have loved to see James Young get some action.

You're right. Outside of our "main guys" (really just KO, Smart and maybe Pressey), our SL roster was kind of lackluster. The rest of the roster made our "main guys" look bad quite a few times (outside of Moser).

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2014, 10:32:31 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I mean it had to be KO by a landslide right?

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2014, 11:15:26 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
best performers of the SL for the Celtics were:
1. KO
2. Smart
3. Moser
4. Pressey

Moser definitely outperformed Babb and Johnson who might be on the outside looking in.  I think he could be a candidate for end of roster SF backup since that's a position we aren't deep at.  But you know, it's only summer league showcasing. 

Once training camp starts, the coaches will see how the players respond playing against experienced veterans.  That's a different ballgame, at which point the roster decisions will be made.

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2014, 12:39:35 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
One more thing.  I am really excited to see how Bradley and Smart play together.  Smart can handle the ball well enough to run the team but they will need to run an offensive set or pick and rolls because he really doesn't seem to have the instincts of a PG. 

But defensively, Smart deflects so many passes and Bradley gets up the floor so quickly, it could be very interesting to see how disruptive they are as a team.  The 4 and 5s are so unathletic though I'm afraid  we might not see a real defensive team out there.  I was slightly impressed with KO jumping some passing lanes.  Not sure he will be able to do that in the regular season but it did give me a twinge of hope that with Bradley and Smart being disruptive, KO and maybe Green can steal some passes and get up the floor for some easy hoops.

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2014, 12:57:32 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The press is on.

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2014, 09:47:45 AM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
The overrating of Smart's play is to be expected, I guess.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.