Author Topic: Was Mike Moser the best player on our summer league team?  (Read 6797 times)

Re: Was Mike Moser the best player on our summer league team?
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2014, 09:02:03 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2014, 10:20:51 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
I thought Chris Johnson played better last year on the Celtics than he did in the Summer League. I wonder if he played himself out of a job.  Thought Babb looked better...  If there is one thing I pray for is that Pressey learns that he shouldn't rely on 3 pointers for his offense.  He does everything else so much better.  It takes away from his game and everyone else's.   

He wasn't mentioned, but I thought Iverson was much better shooting the ball than expected.  IF, 1.  Brad isn't going to play Anthony and 2.  Vitor is going to be on injured reserve all season and 3.  Humphries is going elsewhere, then Iverson might be a good fit with Smart in the lineup.  I thought Smart found him open a number of times and he shot the ball pretty well.   He could spread the offense with his outside shot and inside hook.  The Celtics need players who can shoot.   

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2014, 10:54:28 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Babb and Johnson lost their hunger and both were outplayed by Moser and Bertans.  I don't think Iverson will be able to beat out Vitor or Zeller.   

I rate us Olynyk, Smart, Moser, Bertans, Pressey, Jackson and Iverson in summer league ranking.  I don't know if the stats bear it out though.  This is off the cuff.   Babb and Johnson looked lost on offense.   I expected a step up not a stumble.

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2014, 11:02:14 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I know KO had the best scoring average, but after the first game, I became very disenchanted with his defensive play.  He seemed very lackadaisical.  Yeah, it's summer league, but he should have been giving better effort on the defensive end. In the final game, he looked lost.

Offensively, he was basically a jump shooter.  He had a lot of trouble finishing when he went to the hoop, unless he was able to duke a guy to go up before slipping by him for an easy bucket.  Had great difficulty going over anyone. Also thought his rebounding effort was sub-par.

I was very concerned with Smart, but feel the last game he seemed to finally get his confidence going, and really is starting to please me.  His defense is always going to be A-1.  Now I can see he has a decent handle, and can definitely play the point, with some more work. Never at the RR level, but no one else can either.

Pressey was the only other player that I would consider keeping on the team, except the guy who got injured/concussion.  He actually looked like he has a decent game, and has a sweet shot.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 11:10:36 PM by footey »

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2014, 11:28:37 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
nobody besides our rookies will stick, maybe besides pressey...

Moser out played Johnson and Babbs. Pressey was not great; but not the right environment for a PG to shine. Moser was 3 or 4 - not bad; but we have plenty of PF's. He was insurance if the love trade went through and we lost our back up Forwards.

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2014, 11:30:08 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
If you were disenchanted with KO, I can't imagine how you'd be impressed with Moser.  He hit a few open threes but wasn't creating anything for himself or anyone else at all.

When KO and Smart were off the floor, the SL team fell apart.  Pressey could handle the ball but his shooting wasn't good and he had a lot of turnovers.

I thought KO's offense was OK.  I'd still like him to be more aggressive.  I also thought he wasn't doing great on the boards but in the game he didn't play they were nightmarish on the boards.  KO comes back and they held their own.  Just his blocking out makes a huge difference allowing the guards to come in and get rebounds.

Smart's defense was as advertised.  He gets his hands on a LOT of passes.  I think he will be really good.  He could have drawn four or five more offensive charges but the refs were really letting players get away with a ton.

Iverson just isn't good enough.  Nothing against the guy but defensively he doesn't block shots and offensively he doesn't do much of anything but fumble passes.

Bertans I really liked but there just isn't a spot for another 2 guard on this team.

Pressey shot horribly but at least created shots for others and at times was a pest defensively.

Moser doesn't have the handles of a 3 nor the size and athletic ability of a 4.  His defense wasn't great nor his passing.  He is a guy who can't create his own shot and probably not good enough of a shooter to make it on just his shooting.  Good player, maybe be a role player in a few years if he improves other parts of his game.

Everyone else was AWFUL.  How many assists could KO, Smart or Pressey have had if Johnson, Baab, and the others could have thrown it in the ocean.  Most of those guys didn't look like D League players.  We had no size at all behind KO and Iverson.  No shooting outside of KO and Moser when he was wide open and only KO, Smart and Pressey were creating shots for other guys.  Just a pathetic roster when compared to other teams.

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2014, 11:37:22 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
If you were disenchanted with KO, I can't imagine how you'd be impressed with Moser.  He hit a few open threes but wasn't creating anything for himself or anyone else at all.

When KO and Smart were off the floor, the SL team fell apart.  Pressey could handle the ball but his shooting wasn't good and he had a lot of turnovers.

I thought KO's offense was OK.  I'd still like him to be more aggressive.  I also thought he wasn't doing great on the boards but in the game he didn't play they were nightmarish on the boards.  KO comes back and they held their own.  Just his blocking out makes a huge difference allowing the guards to come in and get rebounds.

Smart's defense was as advertised.  He gets his hands on a LOT of passes.  I think he will be really good.  He could have drawn four or five more offensive charges but the refs were really letting players get away with a ton.

Iverson just isn't good enough.  Nothing against the guy but defensively he doesn't block shots and offensively he doesn't do much of anything but fumble passes.

Bertans I really liked but there just isn't a spot for another 2 guard on this team.

Pressey shot horribly but at least created shots for others and at times was a pest defensively.

Moser doesn't have the handles of a 3 nor the size and athletic ability of a 4.  His defense wasn't great nor his passing.  He is a guy who can't create his own shot and probably not good enough of a shooter to make it on just his shooting.  Good player, maybe be a role player in a few years if he improves other parts of his game.

Everyone else was AWFUL.  How many assists could KO, Smart or Pressey have had if Johnson, Baab, and the others could have thrown it in the ocean.  Most of those guys didn't look like D League players.  We had no size at all behind KO and Iverson.  No shooting outside of KO and Moser when he was wide open and only KO, Smart and Pressey were creating shots for other guys.  Just a pathetic roster when compared to other teams.

Wasn't able to watch other SL games aside from a couple.

TP for a writeup.

Marcus Smart seems to have pretty good stamina. Not talked about since it's assumed that NBA players have incredible stamina but Smart's motor is exceptional. He just keeps chugging 24/7 on both ends of the floor.

This is also something Westbrook has - dude just goes nuts on both ends.

Maybe they should start measuring lung size or lactic acid tolerance or something.

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2014, 11:44:42 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
Babb and Johnson lost their hunger and both were outplayed by Moser and Bertans.  I don't think Iverson will be able to beat out Vitor or Zeller.   

I rate us Olynyk, Smart, Moser, Bertans, Pressey, Jackson and Iverson in summer league ranking.  I don't know if the stats bear it out though.  This is off the cuff.   Babb and Johnson looked lost on offense.   I expected a step up not a stumble.
I agree he won't beat out Zeller.  However, my guess is Vitor will be injured much of the season.  Think about it.  He was either out injured or played injured much of last year and he's still not healed.  Something's up....I would like to keep Iverson as an insurance policy.   

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2014, 11:50:02 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I know KO had the best scoring average, but after the first game, I became very disenchanted with his defensive play.  He seemed very lackadaisical.  Yeah, it's summer league, but he should have been giving better effort on the defensive end. In the final game, he looked lost.

Offensively, he was basically a jump shooter.  He had a lot of trouble finishing when he went to the hoop, unless he was able to duke a guy to go up before slipping by him for an easy bucket.  Had great difficulty going over anyone. Also thought his rebounding effort was sub-par.

I was very concerned with Smart, but feel the last game he seemed to finally get his confidence going, and really is starting to please me.  His defense is always going to be A-1.  Now I can see he has a decent handle, and can definitely play the point, with some more work. Never at the RR level, but no one else can either.

Pressey was the only other player that I would consider keeping on the team, except the guy who got injured/concussion.  He actually looked like he has a decent game, and has a sweet shot.

I believe the name you're searching for is James Young ;D

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2014, 11:52:50 PM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
Or Bertrans.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2014, 09:06:27 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
I think there were three players on the Celtics Summer League team who looked like they had the skills that could make them viable rotational players in the NBA:

Olynyk, Smart and Pressey and I think Pressey might not even be a rotational type player because he can't shoot and is so so small and easily exploited by any PG with even the slightest bit of size.

Moser threw up some stats but his skills didn't appear to translate to anything more than an end of the bench type player.

I agree he isn't rotational yet, but a better bet than Chris Johnson or even Babb who have shown they don't have what it takes. The guy was active in all aspects of the game and I'd rather take a chance on him than these other two who already have shown they don't have it. Maybe next year someone else comes in and takes his spot, but he could be a solid player based on what we see.

Using this same logic, I would say that Iverson, Bertans and Jackson are long shot, end of the bench, roster filler guys who are needed occaissionally on non guaranteed contracts. If we have a need for depth at a particular position as a third string guy then you keep them.

This is what Moser currently is and maybe Pressey as well. Pressey and he are likely last cut candidates on our current roster. Depends on if we keep Brandon Bass and how well Smart picks up the back up point duties in his first season IMO.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2014, 09:15:04 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2014, 09:17:26 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

TP for reading my mind.

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2014, 09:21:45 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I think there were three players on the Celtics Summer League team who looked like they had the skills that could make them viable rotational players in the NBA:

Olynyk, Smart and Pressey and I think Pressey might not even be a rotational type player because he can't shoot and is so so small and easily exploited by any PG with even the slightest bit of size.

Moser threw up some stats but his skills didn't appear to translate to anything more than an end of the bench type player.

I agree he isn't rotational yet, but a better bet than Chris Johnson or even Babb who have shown they don't have what it takes. The guy was active in all aspects of the game and I'd rather take a chance on him than these other two who already have shown they don't have it. Maybe next year someone else comes in and takes his spot, but he could be a solid player based on what we see.

Using this same logic, I would say that Iverson, Bertans and Jackson are long shot, end of the bench, roster filler guys who are needed occaissionally on non guaranteed contracts. If we have a need for depth at a particular position as a third string guy then you keep them.

This is what Moser currently is and maybe Pressey as well. Pressey and he are likely last cut candidates on our current roster. Depends on if we keep Brandon Bass and how well Smart picks up the back up point duties in his first season IMO.

Pressey has to be cut by Tuesday or his contract is guaranteed for the year. I expect he sticks for the PG depth chart, whether or not Rondo gets traded. Moser is a real long shot and more likely a training camp body, which is why he's keeping his options open. By comparison, Pressey was offered a contract coming out of SL last year, not just an invitation to camp.

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2014, 09:29:10 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178

Pressey has to be cut by Tuesday or his contract is guaranteed for the year. I expect he sticks for the PG depth chart, whether or not Rondo gets traded. Moser is a real long shot and more likely a training camp body, which is why he's keeping his options open. By comparison, Pressey was offered a contract coming out of SL last year, not just an invitation to camp.
True and I don't think he will be cut. I think he is "organizational depth" that Danny really likes. He will be gone if we have a deal coming up that requires his salary slot or roster spot though so keeping him remains a debate. I wonder if he would stick around for a training camp invite if Danny wanted to 'cut' his salary in order to make moves and resign him? Is that even legal?
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku