Author Topic: I don't buy this Cavs hype just yet...  (Read 11227 times)

Re: I don't buy this Cavs hype just yet...
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2014, 06:32:37 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
The issue is the Eastern Conference.  If the Cavs played out West, I think they'd be hard-pressed to make it out of the first round, and certainly not out of the second round.  However, they play in the East, where their biggest challengers will be the LeBron-less Heat and the Pacers, who were in a bit of disarray at the end of the season and may lose Lance. 

So it's quite likely they could get out of the East.  And keep in mind that whoever emerges from the West will have had a far tougher road to get there.  So who the heck knows how things could play out?

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2014, 09:35:50 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I argued in another thread and firmly stand behind the statement that if any team in the East (yes that includes Milwaukee and Philly) added Lebron James (and lost no one to do so) that team would be the clear favorites in the East.  I firmly stand by that statement.

As for the Cavs, they have had a couple of issues getting to that next level in the past, but James fixes all of them. 

First, the Cavs are young, immature, and have no leaders.  James fixes the gaping leadership hole and provides a level of work ethic and maturity that the young Cavs need. 

Second, the Cavs don't have a true #1 guy and thus everyone was forced into roles they shouldn't be in.  You slot James in as the #1 guy, Irving now becomes the #2, Waiters the #3, etc.  They are all much better situated one spot down the rung (if they keep Wiggins he helps here as well and Love would slot in as the #2 and everyone else would move down farther). 

Third, the Cavs are pretty terrible defenders.  James is, one of, if not the best overall defender in basketball.  His defense alone won't cure this problem, but it will greatly improve the entire Cavs defense and he won't stand for some of the laziness on that end that the Cavs got away with in the past (if they keep Wiggins he also improves the defense a ton).

Fourth, no veterans would go to Cleveland on the cheap because they wouldn't want to deal with 1-3, but with James there and the Cavs being a true contender the veterans will flock there and can help James lead the young guys and help them fulfill their promise and potential.

I fully expect Cleveland to sign Chris Anderson and Ray Allen.  Add them to the bench and the Cavs are the clear favorites in the East even if they don't get Love (unless Anthony signs in Chicago, though I think I would still pick Cleveland they just wouldn't be the clear favorites).

There's a major difference between being favorites in the East and being true title contenders, which is what I'm arguing.  I don't think they can beat the best of the west in the Finals THIS YEAR. They might be able to win in a couple of years, but not this year.
If you are in the Finals and you have the best player in the world (and by a wide margin), then you are a true title contender.

Sure, I'll give you that they'll be a contender in your terms.  But do you really think they're the favorites right now? (That's really what I'm arguing against. I phrased it wrong by saying they're not true title contenders.)
Do I think they will beat the western team, probably not, but I wouldn't be surprised if they have the best odds (given how weak the east is, even with Bosh returning to Miami).  I mean there are probably 5 or 6 real contenders in the west so picking just one as the favorite would be difficult, not so much in the east.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2014, 09:40:57 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Believe the hype.  Cavs won 60+ with Anthony Parker as LeBron's 2nd best player.  This is going to be ridiculous whether or not they trade for Love.

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2014, 09:44:13 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I don't believe the hype either.
No one can predict the future.

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2014, 09:55:59 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Believe the hype.  Cavs won 60+ with Anthony Parker as LeBron's 2nd best player.  This is going to be ridiculous whether or not they trade for Love.

There were better players than Parker but not much better...

So you're pretty right.  Their issue right now is big depth though.  Varejao is hurt so often and they have basically nothing backing him up.

But personally I see Kyrie killing it with LeBron.  It's be some of that same vibe as with Wade in transition but the fact that Kyrie can shoot will really open things up.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2015, 09:08:18 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I remember creating this thread a little before the Love trade, and I think it deserves a bump now after all that has happened and the current state of the Cavs.

I didn't buy the hype back then, and my suspicions came true in the form of a god-awful defense in Cleveland and chemistry issues.

It's amazing how much the narrative has changed in just six months. Many on here were ready to hand Cleveland the title before a single game was played.

« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2015, 09:16:13 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I remember creating this thread a little before the Love trade, and I think it deserves a bump now after all that has happened and the current state of the Cavs.

I didn't buy the hype back then, and my suspicions came true in the form of a god-awful defense in Cleveland and chemistry issues.

It's amazing how much the narrative has changed in just six months. Many on here were ready to hand Cleveland the title before a single game was played.

Still a few months left in the season, but you're spot on so far. There was even some narrative about this same thing on NBATV tonight with Rick Fox and Brent Barry.

It makes what happened in 07-08 in BOS even more special, seeing those stars come together past their primes.

The 10-11 Heat came together faster than these Cavs have so far.

We'll see. If they continue to implode, here's hoping that KLove will see the error of his ways and chose BOS this time.

« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2015, 09:17:16 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
But haven't we all realized that Kevin Love sucks by now?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2015, 09:21:25 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

Still a few months left in the season, but you're spot on so far. There was even some narrative about this same thing on NBATV tonight with Rick Fox and Brent Barry.

It makes what happened in 07-08 in BOS even more special, seeing those stars come together past their primes.

The 10-11 Heat came together faster than these Cavs have so far.

We'll see. If they continue to implode, here's hoping that KLove will see the error of his ways and chose BOS this time.

It really does make you realize how special that season was. For three superstars to come together so fast in the first year is just unprecedented.

« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2015, 09:26:18 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

Well, he definitely has not been the Minnesota Love this year, especially when sharing the spotlight with two other stars. Maybe he should've thought about that before skimping out on Boston and an ideal partner in Rondo.

« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2015, 09:33:41 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Well, he definitely has not been the Minnesota Love this year, especially when sharing the spotlight with two other stars. Maybe he should've thought about that before skimping out on Boston and an ideal partner in Rondo.

Agreed.

Rondo would've made KLove look a LOT better than what he's looking right now.

KLove would've had Rajon, a running SF in Jeff Green (to catch his beautiful outlook passes) and whatever else Danny would've pieced together.

He chose the limelight in CLE....can't say I blame him, but even as that team was coming together you could just see that it didn't mesh...Brent Barry mentioned "Chemistry" several times tonight in regards to CLE.

Now, supposedly LeBron is using these 2 weeks off to take a step back and see how to integrate himself into the team. We'll see how that works.

« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2015, 09:38:05 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

Agreed.

KLove would've had Rajon, a running SF in Jeff Green (to catch his beautiful outlook passes) and whatever else Danny would've pieced together.

He chose the limelight in CLE....can't say I blame him, but even as that team was coming together you could just see that it didn't mesh...Brent Barry mentioned "Chemistry" several times tonight in regards to CLE.

Now, supposedly LeBron is using these 2 weeks off to take a step back and see how to integrate himself into the team. We'll see how that works.

I love how the best player in the world needs "to step back and see how to integrate himself into the team" lol

It seems their supporting cast (Love and Irving) should be bending around Lebron's game; you know, the guy who actually has playoff and championship experience. But that's what he gets for pairing up with two unproven young stars who aren't yet ready to sacrifice to win.

« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2015, 09:38:40 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
But I thought CelticsBloggers swore that LeBron = insta-championship team, chemistry be [dang]ed?

« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2015, 09:42:37 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215

Nice call. I don't think we're seeing the same Lebron. He was 15 pounds heavier and a step faster last year. He's still a handfull but he's not the same freight train coming down the lane anymore.

« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2015, 09:48:13 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215

Agreed.

I love how the best player in the world needs "to step back and see how to integrate himself into the team" lol

It seems their supporting cast (Love and Irving) should be bending around Lebron's game; you know, the guy who actually has playoff and championship experience. But that's what he gets for pairing up with two unproven young stars who aren't yet ready to sacrifice to win.
I think Spoelstra did a great job at setting up those Miami Heat defenses. Now Lebron is on a team with no emphasis on defense. I think they'll be a coaching change if this team doesn't get better on D.