Author Topic: I don't buy this Cavs hype just yet...  (Read 11287 times)

I don't buy this Cavs hype just yet...
« on: July 11, 2014, 04:17:27 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Irving, Wiggins, Lebron, Thompson, Varejao with a bench of Waiters and Bennett and who else?

I don't see them as title contenders by any means as currently constructed.  Wiggins and Lebron are the only two players that play above average defense on that team, and Wiggins is several years away from making any true two-way contributions to the team. That's not to say that they won't attract some other veterans to come play with them, but we have to remember this isn't Miami. Cleveland definitely isn't going to have the same appeal as Miami.

Even if they get Love, I still don't buy their chances at truly competing at a title. A lineup of Irving, Waiters (assuming Wiggins is involved in the trade), Lebron, Love, and Varejao is God-awful on defense. They may score 110+ points a night, but they're almost certain to give up nearly that many points up, too. Plus, God only knows if they'll be able to mesh in time to compete while Lebron can still be "the man."

So, even if they attain Love, I'm not buying them as perennial title contenders until three things happen: they bring in a solid supporting cast, they develop chemistry, and for the love of God they teach Irving and Love to at least be passable on defense. Anyone feel this way?

Re: I don't buy this Cavs hype just yet...
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 04:24:56 PM »

Offline puskas54_10

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 13
Don't be jealous. They are clearly the favourites in the east. Finals will be tough, it doesn't matter who they play.
That's a great core. They will sign Ray Allen  and Mike Miller to stretch the floor. If they get Love, the only team that can challange them are the Spurs.

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 04:29:32 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Don't be jealous. They are clearly the favourites in the east. Finals will be tough, it doesn't matter who they play.
That's a great core. They will sign Ray Allen  and Mike Miller to stretch the floor. If they get Love, the only team that can challange them are the Spurs.

Is that like when the Heat were supposed to be unbeatable for 6+ years?
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 04:36:15 PM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48

Lebron made an average guy like Mo Williams an All-Star imagine what he is going to do with guys like: ( Irving, Thompson, Waiters and Wiggins ) or if they get Love....It may take a year or two but Cavs are going to be the class of the conference for the foreseeable future...( unless Melo goes to Chicago )....then it's a toss up...

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 04:41:57 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
This thread is just wrong.  Cleveland will add a couple of talented veteran role players to form a strong bench.  Irving is an arriving star, Wiggins will be a star or he'll be traded for a top ten player in Love.  Waiters and Thompson are young, improving, and will help this team, and Bennett may show something in his second year.  The Cavs are easily the favorites in the East right now and will get better in coming years.

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 04:47:53 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Obviously people don't read the entire thread! lol I listed three conditionals at the bottom that would make me believe the hype...

As of now, though, I just don't see it.  The Heat's Big 3 were much better two-way players than the Cavs' Big 3 (James, Irving, Wiggins/Love).  Also, they were all in their prime when they joined. Irving is still a ways from his prime and so is Wiggins. If it took the Heat that long to figure out themselves, I think it will be a couple of years at least before they're true title contenders and can compete with the likes of SAS, OKC, HOU, and LAC.

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 04:48:19 PM »

Offline puskas54_10

• Derrick White

I don't understand the people here. OP questioned if the new cavs will be even a contender? Lebron is on the team, enough said.
You imply that the Miami Heat in the last 4 years were not successful. Because they just won 2 rings and 4 EC Finals. So if you not win the championship you're nothing. I don't understand this mentality.

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 04:49:34 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
They'll fill out their roster with quality role guys now that Lebron is onboard.

That alone will probably make them the favorites unless Chicago pulls off something with Melo.

Now if CLE brings Love on board, even at the expense of Wiggins, they are the definite favorites in the East.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 04:52:10 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
I never claimed that.  I thought our Big 3 era was a success with just two Finals appearances and one ring. I just think automatically putting the Cavs' current roster as the title favorites because of Lebron is incredibly premature. He's an excellent basketball player, but he's not God.

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 04:54:00 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I don't understand the people here. OP questioned if the new cavs will be even a contender? Lebron is on the team, enough said.
You imply that the Miami Heat in the last 4 years were not successful. Because they just won 2 rings and 4 EC Finals. So if you not win the championship you're nothing. I don't understand this mentality.

I didn't say they weren't successful. I didn't say they were nothing. I said they weren't unbeatable. The 4 years they made the Finals, they were beaten twice by veteran teams that they were favored against (the Mavs were more underdogs than the Spurs). My point is, before Miami's Big 3 played together, the media dubbed them a juggernaut dynasty in the making. As talented as they were, the hype will always overshadow their actual accomplishments.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 04:56:07 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
to plagiarize myself, LeBron will play all of the defense.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 04:57:49 PM »

Offline puskas54_10

• Derrick White
Obviously people don't read the entire thread! lol I listed three conditionals at the bottom that would make me believe the hype...

As of now, though, I just don't see it.  The Heat's Big 3 were much better two-way players than the Cavs' Big 3 (James, Irving, Wiggins/Love).  Also, they were all in their prime when they joined. Irving is still a ways from his prime and so is Wiggins. If it took the Heat that long to figure out themselves, I think it will be a couple of years at least before they're true title contenders and can compete with the likes of SAS, OKC, HOU, and LAC.

I think you overrate Bosh and Wade. I saw almost every Heat game since Ray Allen joined them, I tell you Wade can't shoot the three, and overall not a good shooter. His injuries robbed his game (going to the basket with ease). And Bosh is hate to be in the paint and gets flustered if his shot not falling.  On defense he will not block many shots. He's not even trying to block which is maddening. Your only legit concern is the chemistry issue. But that will develop with time.

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 04:58:10 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I argued in another thread and firmly stand behind the statement that if any team in the East (yes that includes Milwaukee and Philly) added Lebron James (and lost no one to do so) that team would be the clear favorites in the East.  I firmly stand by that statement.

As for the Cavs, they have had a couple of issues getting to that next level in the past, but James fixes all of them. 

First, the Cavs are young, immature, and have no leaders.  James fixes the gaping leadership hole and provides a level of work ethic and maturity that the young Cavs need. 

Second, the Cavs don't have a true #1 guy and thus everyone was forced into roles they shouldn't be in.  You slot James in as the #1 guy, Irving now becomes the #2, Waiters the #3, etc.  They are all much better situated one spot down the rung (if they keep Wiggins he helps here as well and Love would slot in as the #2 and everyone else would move down farther). 

Third, the Cavs are pretty terrible defenders.  James is, one of, if not the best overall defender in basketball.  His defense alone won't cure this problem, but it will greatly improve the entire Cavs defense and he won't stand for some of the laziness on that end that the Cavs got away with in the past (if they keep Wiggins he also improves the defense a ton).

Fourth, no veterans would go to Cleveland on the cheap because they wouldn't want to deal with 1-3, but with James there and the Cavs being a true contender the veterans will flock there and can help James lead the young guys and help them fulfill their promise and potential.

I fully expect Cleveland to sign Chris Anderson and Ray Allen.  Add them to the bench and the Cavs are the clear favorites in the East even if they don't get Love (unless Anthony signs in Chicago, though I think I would still pick Cleveland they just wouldn't be the clear favorites).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 05:00:36 PM »

Offline NorthernLightning

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • zap
Because Irving is a media darling he has almost completely escaped serious scrutiny for the toxic locker room atmosphere that ruined the Cavs last year and drove Luol Deng away.

LeBron and Kyrie are not close, and the situation could become inflamed very quickly, especially if Dion Waiters remains.

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 05:03:38 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

I think you overrate Bosh and Wade. I saw almost every Heat game since Ray Allen joined them, I tell you Wade can't shoot the three, and overall not a good shooter. His injuries robbed his game (going to the basket with ease). And Bosh is hate to be in the paint and gets flustered if his shot not falling.  On defense he will not block many shots. He's not even trying to block which is maddening. Your only legit concern is the chemistry issue. But that will develop with time.

You can't honestly sit there and say that defense isn't a concern on this team, if they get love. lol Also, you can't tell me that Wiggins' development won't be an issue for contending if they keep him. They're going to be good, yes, but to call them title contenders at this point with a third of their Big 3 being a rookie with questions about his lackluster mentality is asinine.