Author Topic: Opening for Ainge to exploit  (Read 1944 times)

Opening for Ainge to exploit
« on: July 11, 2014, 03:20:55 PM »

Offline BoS78

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 0
With the recent LeBron to CLE news opening up Bosh to HOU, Ainge has another chance to profit.

After the cap came in lower than projected the Asik to NO trade is having issues where NO needs to dump salary to accommodate the incoming salary.  Ainge could offer Bogans, Johnson and Babb for Asik and Capela. I'd like to see this include Anthony's expiring 3.8MM contract, but that is less likely.  The significance of the Asik deal is big for HOU being able to add the 22MM slot for Bosh before the window to match the Parson's deal (and go over the cap) closes.

This could give the C's a legit starting center and a player to stash for a year or two, who reminds me of a young Dwight Howard.  I am of the belief that Capela holds more future value than any future pick from HOU.

Your thoughts?

Re: Opening for Ainge to exploit
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 03:23:15 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
what are these issues of which you speak?

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 03:27:57 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
NO  isn't that far away. I think they'll look to unload Ajinca and a 2nd round pick or something like that.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 03:35:15 PM »

Offline Al91

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18

I think NOLA is considering using the stretch provision on Rivers which I believe would eliminate him from the team's salary cap. The team would still have to pay him but I believe he would also become a FA. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, just trying to remember the details of the stretch provision when it came up in regards to Nash last season.

Sounds like NOLA is having a little trouble making room for Asik.
Long-form is far from dead, but please refrain from paragraph-laden posts! Who wants to read that?!

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 03:36:37 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Whats up with every ones love for Asik and the constant talks of trading for him?

Does he fart unicorns or something?

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 03:39:21 PM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50
Whats up with every ones love for Asik and the constant talks of trading for him?

a lot of people on here have a thing for overpaid slow centers with poorly structured contracts.

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 03:40:30 PM »

Offline BoS78

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 0

Full rundown on the cap problems with this trade can be found at this source http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/10/with-lower-than-expected-salary-cap-will-rockets-and-pelicans-still-complete-omer-asik-trade/.

Basically NOLA needs to waive all non-guaranteed contracts and then still trade a player or 2 to make room for Asik

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 04:14:38 PM »

Offline fandrew

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 25
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to hear that Cleveland makes a play for Omar Asik at this point. They have plenty of pieces to move around, and he would be a perfect fit for that team as currently constituted, or if they made a trade for Kevin Love. If Houston, Cleveland and New Orleans did a three way trade that landed Verajo to NO and Asik to Cleveland, I could see something working.

Unless we trade for Kevin Love, I don't see a point in trading for Asik at this point. And I really don't see us getting Kevin Love at this point.
"It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care." - Peter Gibbons

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 04:16:27 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

a lot of people on here have a thing for overpaid slow centers with poorly structured contracts.
A lot of people prefer legitimately sized centers who can play, instead of overweight, unathletic PFs masquerading as centers. But that's just personal taste I guess.

Also, Asik's contract is only "poorly structured" if you're in a position where you have to match an offer sheet.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 04:28:43 PM »

Online footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

You have not watched Asik play much based on that comment.  Very quick feet for his size on defense, which is why he is such a good defender.

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 04:31:19 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Add the Celtics as a third team to the NO-HOU trade and have the Celtics jettison Babb and Johnson while taking back Withey and Ajinca, while getting a couple of future seconds from Houston.

There are probably a few teams out there trying to hold out for getting a first as compensation for taking back Ajinca and Austin Rivers.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 04:36:18 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
They're cutting Austin Rivers.

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 04:39:59 PM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
For me the dream scenario is for Ainge to find a way to grab Terrence Jones. I don't think it's terribly likely, but with the Rockets desperate to get cap space it isn't completely impossible.

I know grabbing Jones gives us a real logjam at the power forward spot, but I think he projects better than either Sully or Kelly (as much as I like those two). He is still really young and improved massively this past season. He's already a good rebounder and good defender. He has great hands (he, like, never fumbles the ball. Ever). He's already a super efficient scorer around the basket, he draws fouls, and while he isn't a good 3-point shooter he still improved to be just north of 30% from there last season.