Author Topic: DA / Catastrophic Mistake  (Read 13656 times)

Re: DA / Catastrophic Mistake
« Reply #105 on: July 12, 2014, 06:20:46 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I don`t disagree with your logic but you should also agree with me that LA and Cs didn`t do the same think
Besides what could stop MIA from getting younger also while, keeping LBJ?

I`m not saying that the trade helped CLE more than Cs. But if the rule is to make a trade only if you get the better then nobody should make any trades !!!

DA had an asset with an expiration date. He had the chance trade it for something instead of losing it.  Saying it was a colossal mistake because he helped create an new powerhouse to block C`s way in 4-5 years when (and if) the Cs will contend again is at least exaggeration.....

« Reply #106 on: July 12, 2014, 06:29:28 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I wouldn't argue that Danny shouldn't have made the rule because of the outcome, since there very well could have been other teams that for a slightly higher price would have obliged Cleveland anyway.

But even if Riley had managed to extend the Window in Miami for another year or two, I don't think that compares to what Cleveland has, potentially, put together. Really, it makes sense, with Cleveland having got three of the last four #1 picks, that they'd be able to put together something astounding. Add in that they're LeBron's home town and it's not surprising if they have built what could be a monster team for the next 15 years.

The Cavs probably still need another major piece--whether it's Love or someone else--to get there next year or next. (As James has acknowledged.) They still need healthy young defense in the middle and bad management can spoil just about any advantage.

But with all those assets, merely competent management should be able to cash in for years to come if the key players stay healthy and reach even close to their full potential.

« Reply #107 on: July 12, 2014, 06:40:40 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
CLE should be better than MIA and for a longer run. Hard to deny that.

But today the Cs should not worry about who is the A dog in the east. The team is pretty far from contending. In 4 years possibly Cs miss the finals because of CLE but trying to set the competion you ll face in 4-5 years is not very reasonable and realistic

« Reply #108 on: July 12, 2014, 06:45:17 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Rutzan, please answer this question:

Do you think if Boston says No to the Marcus Thornton deal, that Cleveland just gives up and doesn't find someone to take Jarrett Jack's contract?  That they would just give up on the chance to sign the best player in the world?

of course they don't...what kind of question is that...seriously...

It's the kind of question that proves that your whole point is silly.  Cleveland was gonna move Jarrett Jack, and Lebron was going to end up Cleveland.  This happens with or without the Celtics being involved.  The Celtics got involved, and picked up a couple of assets for their trouble.  Why is this a colossal mistake again?

« Reply #109 on: July 12, 2014, 07:23:07 AM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
this thread is funny reminds of the anti kevin love topic a while back. wonder if it's an alternick.lol

« Reply #110 on: July 12, 2014, 11:30:20 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
the celtics are irrelevant right now and the foreseeable future, so it doesn't matter. plus if it wasnt the celts, someone else would have filled the void, so at least we got something.

« Reply #111 on: July 12, 2014, 11:52:22 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I suppose we shouldn't have fleeced the Nets last year then. Getting all those first round draft picks was such a boneheaded move by Ainge.

This.... Next thread.

« Reply #112 on: July 12, 2014, 01:11:02 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
[dang]ed if you do, [dang]ed if you don't.

Dude, its Danny Ainge, not Danged ;D

« Reply #113 on: July 12, 2014, 01:39:08 PM »

Offline Randy

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 4
I didn't read every page so this has probably been said but what makes you think the Cavs are going to be better than the Heat would have been if he stayed with them? Either way Lebron was going to stay in the east, so it doesn't really matter what team he is on. The Celtics will be lucky to land the 8th seed next year at this point... So why are we worried about teams who are championship contenders? I could probably get behind your argument if we where in say the pacers position but we are far from it. Right now Danny needs to worry about making us contenders and not about how other teams are going to do in our conference.

TL;DR we have no dog in this fight.