Author Topic: DA / Catastrophic Mistake  (Read 13687 times)

Re: DA / Catastrophic Mistake
« Reply #90 on: July 11, 2014, 03:32:56 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
let me preface this by saying that i am a big DA supporter...i actually think he has been brilliant...

with that said...

the oldest rule in the book...you NEVER trade in your division or conference...

DA opened the door for lebron and love to cleveland with the zeller trade...if you disagree...prove to me that there was another way for cleveland to clear cap space with the wave of a TPE...

bron is 29...love is 25...irving is 22...we will not sniff the Finals for 5 to 7 years...barring injuries in cleveland...

i know...you're going to say you can't control what other teams do...you have to do what makes your team better...i'll never buy that argument...you NEVER trade in your division or conference...oldest rule in the book...

Lebron was staying in the East...it's the easiest way for him to get to the Finals every year and he knows that.  He chose to massage his image by going back to Cleveland with a younger squad.

Danny did a great job landing Zeller, Thornton, and 1st rounder.  You cannot debate that.

« Reply #91 on: July 11, 2014, 04:49:08 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
The bottom line is that Danny did the right thing...he did what was best for the Boston Celtics.  That's his job.  He can't deny a trade because of what may happen in the future with the other team.  Who knows what will happen with the Cavs?  They still have Gilbert and he's a boob so they may turn out to be the Cavs of old...good enough to make the playoffs but not good enough to win it all.  But, this much is known...Cleveland was going to do anything and everything to get Lebron.  They would have ditched Zeller and Thornton to someone and the C's took advantage of it.  Just like the way they took advantage of the desperate Nets.  Based on your logic, Danny shouldn't have traded with Brooklyn.

Come off the ledge and at least see what the C's look like at the start of the season. 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #92 on: July 11, 2014, 04:51:46 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
This is ridiculous. There are like 7 teams with Aton of cap space right now that would have entertained Cleveland on this deal. DA being proactive here made sure we didn't miss out

« Reply #93 on: July 11, 2014, 05:47:19 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
I get your point but really disagree.

We got a decent young center, a first round pick and an expiring contract. We have a ton of picks over the next 3-4 years, a great young nucleus and a ton of cap space this coming off season. Also, Danny isn't done yet.

Zeller / Faverani / Iverson?
Sully / Olynyk / Bass
Green / Wallace / Free agent
Bradley / Thornton / Young   
Rondo / Smart / Pressey

Even with Love on the Cavs - I like my match ups at PF, OG, PG and C against the Cavs. Green and Wallace can also give LeBron a run for their money.

I think our Backcourt of Bradley, Rondo and Smart will give Irving and Waiter all they want defensively.

I think Ainge will make another move or two but you have a large number of guys on our team who really understand how to play the game - I wouldn't discount that.

« Reply #94 on: July 11, 2014, 05:53:28 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
I think Boston is going to be better than people expect this season - even as currently constructed.

Remember, Stevens had a Rondo less team much worse than the one below playing 500 ball. We've added Thonrton, Zeller, a good tough pick in the back court and will have Rondo back healthy (unless traded...).

Rondo needs weapons who can score and he will tear you up.

Thornton and Zeller will make an impact. Sully and Olynyk are a year older.

I also think Marcus Smart is goign to be a real surprise at how quickly he progresses and how much toughness and inspiration he will bring to this team as he gets comfortable. 

I can't wait for the season to start. bring on Cleveland.   

« Reply #95 on: July 12, 2014, 03:24:18 AM »

Offline n4nirvana

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
http://www.netsdaily.com/2014/7/6/5876101/woj-brooklyn-nets-and-cleveland-cavaliers-attempting-three-team-deal

Later, Woj told FOX Sports Radio "Nets and Cavs have deal in place" but still need the third team. Woj didn't provide details of the deal. Among the teams FOX Sports reports could take on Thornton are the Suns, Timberwolves and Mavericks.

http://www.netsdaily.com/2014/7/6/5876101/woj-brooklyn-nets-and-cleveland-cavaliers-attempting-three-team-deal

So 3 teams could've pulled the trigger on the deal before the celtics.

This would've happened with or without the celtics

This was pretty common news. I don't get the point of this thread.

« Reply #96 on: July 12, 2014, 03:42:25 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
[dang]ed if you do, [dang]ed if you don't.

« Reply #97 on: July 12, 2014, 04:13:33 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Who knows, maybe the Lakers would have taken what we did, if we did not do the trade.

« Reply #98 on: July 12, 2014, 04:25:45 AM »

Offline lurkerStrips

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
i love the terms common sense and denying reality...what a bunch of fluff...that basically means you got nothing and are dealing in hypotheticals...

Pretty much the premise of this thread then right? You don't have any concrete "evidence" that there WEREN'T any other offers as well, but continue.

You logic is too logical for this illogical person.

Lakers just broke the cardinal rule too, since they traded with Houston....ALL THE RULES ARE BREAKING  ::)

i agree with you...look at the lakers chances now...not only did you have sa, okc, port, clippers...you just added hou...hou is going to sigh bosh and parsons...so getting lin and a late first is worth putting one more team ahead of you...i don't buy it...why help your competiton get better..do you really think lin and a late first is such a coup...

]

« Reply #99 on: July 12, 2014, 04:27:58 AM »

Offline Celtsfan92

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 11
so basically...the logic here is get something for nothing...i love it...are people really going to tell me that zeller, thorton and a late 1st is some kind of blockbuster for us...reality check please...the fatal mistake is thinking that because you either made the road smoother or that you can go faster that you are being effective and productive...BUT...you just knowingly put an INSURMOUNTABLE rock is your path that you would NEVER get around for 4 or 5 years...so yes...would i take the risk of losing the tpe, zeller, thorton and a late 1st...heck yeah...i would roll the dice that no one else steps up to the plate...it's not even close...zeller, thorton and a late first are not such a coup that i would willingly and knowingly block my own path for 4 or 5 years...no brainer...

THERE WAS ALREADY THAT ROCK!!! IT JUST MOVED FROM MIAMI TO CLEVELAND!!

You couldn't beat that team when you had Pierce, Garnett, Allen, with Rondo. You think Love was enough?!

AHHHHHHH

I can't take the nonsense. Is this how Tommy Heinsohn went insane?

How is this debate still going on?

Then again, I just added another post *facepalm*

« Reply #100 on: July 12, 2014, 04:50:02 AM »

Offline lurkerStrips

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
the tpe is a terrible thing to waste. i think majority of the people here would agree on that. danny didn't waste the tpe and got assets out of it. i doubt that zeller and thornton are going to stay here for long. they are more like moving pieces that we can still use while there is no deal in place yet, possibly for a future trade or something.

on the whole, it was a nice haul for the tpe.

for the op: you might want to read up on this to know more about the tpe. a very logical explanation of what the tpe is, and how valuable it can be. good stuff.
http://www.celticsblog.com/2014/7/6/5875827/the-celtics-have-a-10-3m-traded-player-exception-what-does-that-mean

« Reply #101 on: July 12, 2014, 04:54:21 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
let me preface this by saying that i am a big DA supporter...i actually think he has been brilliant...

with that said...

the oldest rule in the book...you NEVER trade in your division or conference...

DA opened the door for lebron and love to cleveland with the zeller trade...if you disagree...prove to me that there was another way for cleveland to clear cap space with the wave of a TPE...

bron is 29...love is 25...irving is 22...we will not sniff the Finals for 5 to 7 years...barring injuries in cleveland...

i know...you're going to say you can't control what other teams do...you have to do what makes your team better...i'll never buy that argument...you NEVER trade in your division or conference...oldest rule in the book...

Very silly argument.

Firstly, Danny Ainge doesn't need to care what he does to other teams - he needs to be concerned with his own team.  He basicaly just traded NOTHING AT ALL in return for a talented young center, a skilled scorer on an $8M expiring contract, and a first round draft pick.

That is highway robbery.

Cleveland right now has one established superstar - Lebron James.  Irving is nowhere near as good right now as Dwyane Wade was in his prime, and Love is no better than Bosh was when he was with the Raptors.  Wiggins could be a beast or just as easilly become a bust.

More importantly, Cleveland don't actually HAVE Love.  Love isn't a free agent, so Cleveland cannot sign him outright.  If they want to get him via a trade, then it's Minnesota (not Love) that Cleveland needs to win over.  What do Cleveland have that the Wolves would want?  They said they want established players or stars.  Cleveland only has young guys who have yet to prove anything.  Guys like Bennett and Waiters have not proven themselves to be any better than guys like Sully and Green, and Cleveland have nowhere near as many draft picks to offer as Boston do.

On top of all that, neither Irving nor Love has yet led their teams to anything even resembling NBA success. 

Take a look at the past cases where guys have run to stacked teams - Boston (Garnett, Allen), Miami, LA Lakers (Malone and Payton), LA Lakers (Dwight and Nash), Brooklyn Nets (Pierce and KG), etc.  Only two of those teams won a title.  Look how stacked the Thunder have been every year - they still haven't won a title.

To assume that having Lebron going to Cleveland assures them future titles is not an argument that can be justified - period.

« Reply #102 on: July 12, 2014, 05:21:54 AM »

Offline AidaCelt

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 13
So your argument is that trading with a conference rival to help them clear cap space is "catastrophic"?

Really?

Firstly, we got a recent 1st round draft pick with size, an expiring contract that can be used in a future trade and a future 1st round pick for NOTHING. So, in this regards it's a win.

Secondly, Lebron was already in the East playing for a team that just missed a 3-peat and we helped the Cavs clear space for him to go home. So, he's moving from the EAST to the EAST.

They don't have Love yet and he is not a free agent so where he gets traded is not up to him. He could say he won't resign with GSW or Boston or wherever, but all that means is it is even harder to get to the Cavs. They won't have cap space to sign him next year.

If you have the opportunity to improve your team, assets or cap space, you do it no matter who the trade is with... period!
Expectations, Execution, No Excuses

« Reply #103 on: July 12, 2014, 05:23:25 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

i agree with you...look at the lakers chances now...not only did you have sa, okc, port, clippers...you just added hou...hou is going to sigh bosh and parsons...so getting lin and a late first is worth putting one more team ahead of you...i don't buy it...why help your competiton get better..do you really think lin and a late first is such a coup...

LA helped HOU improve
Cs helped CLE improve and killed MIA

i can`t believe you fail to see the difference. DA just moved the contender status around the conference, he DIDN`T CREATE A NEW ONE !!!

« Reply #104 on: July 12, 2014, 05:57:06 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

LA helped HOU improve
Cs helped CLE improve and killed MIA

i can`t believe you fail to see the difference. DA just moved the contender status around the conference, he DIDN`T CREATE A NEW ONE !!!

By moving to the Cavs LBJ just opened a new powerhouse window as his aging powerhouse window was closing with the Heat. The Cavs still have to reel in someone like Love for the full, long-term effect however.

Part of what LBJ will have accomplished then is to bring Love together with himself and three of the number one picks in the last four years. That's far more than declining team he had in Miami, and that could create a monster for the next 15 years.