Author Topic: Breaking: Zeller and Thornton Put Celts Over the Top  (Read 13351 times)

Re: Breaking: Zeller and Thornton Put Celts Over the Top
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2014, 04:18:16 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
We're not going to make any noise lol, we're going to be a few wins better than last year. The Celtics aren't going to be good next year if no more moves are made. Just face it

You simply lack the ability to accurately project draft talent and the development of young players, and the impact of a top coach like Stevens.

Regardless of how good our team is on paper you have to realize we are rebuilding so making the playoffs isnt exactly a goal. If it happens ok, but that's not the goal. When Olynyk sprains his pinky he is going to sit for 2 weeks. We are going to try for another top pick and possibly trade Rondo.

« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2014, 04:21:59 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I still expect the Celtics to make a move or two before the season. I am optimistic like Nl about this team. It seems like a lot of Celtics teams feel that we will be as bad as last year's version. I think they will be considerably better for the following reasons.
1. Rondo completely healthy and in a contract year
2. Development of Sully/Olynyk, Bradley
3. Thornton is better than Bayless
4. Smart getting the minutes that Johnson, Babb and Pressey
5. Green in a potential contract year with a healthy Rondo setting him up.
6. Second year of Stevens.

Not saying we are going to contend but being one of the quest teams in the league isn't in the cards either.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2014, 04:42:10 PM »

Offline NorthernLightning

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • zap
We're not going to make any noise lol, we're going to be a few wins better than last year. The Celtics aren't going to be good next year if no more moves are made. Just face it

You simply lack the ability to accurately project draft talent and the development of young players, and the impact of a top coach like Stevens.

Regardless of how good our team is on paper you have to realize we are rebuilding so making the playoffs isnt exactly a goal. If it happens ok, but that's not the goal. When Olynyk sprains his pinky he is going to sit for 2 weeks. We are going to try for another top pick and possibly trade Rondo.

I think the playoffs absolutely are a primary goal this year. There's little to no reason to tank again. Last year Rondo was out for more than half the year and the season was basically over by the time he got healthy, plus we were coming off the KG PP trade and the roster was a total mishmash.

After the Zeller trade our roster is better balanced, and KO is a going to be stronger and more experienced next year, plus Fav should be better.

All three should be better options at center than what we had last year at the center position.

« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2014, 04:47:56 PM »

Offline celtics24

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 10
celtics could make playoffs this year especially with zeller balancing out the roster being our starting center. a full year of rondo and a healthy bench we are not bad rondo/bradley/green/sully/zeller starting 5 with smart pressey wallace kelly fav young thornton and bass and all them another year developed why is it so impossible to think that we could develop like any other team?
this celtics team healthy can compete for a playoff spot this yr :D

« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2014, 04:57:37 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
celtics could make playoffs this year especially with zeller balancing out the roster being our starting center. a full year of rondo and a healthy bench we are not bad rondo/bradley/green/sully/zeller starting 5 with smart pressey wallace kelly fav young thornton and bass and all them another year developed why is it so impossible to think that we could develop like any other team?
this celtics team healthy can compete for a playoff spot this yr :D
Why?  Because though it may seem deep, it is not a very talented squad. In any case, I really doubt this is the roster going in to training camp.

« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2014, 05:08:11 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
The way I see it the following are locks for the EC Playoffs:

CLE
IND
ATL
CHI
CHA
WAS

That's it. Six teams. Can't put BKN there until Paul Pierce makes a decision. Won't put NYK in there until Carmelo chooses. Three of those teams (ATL, WAS, and CHA) should make good strides in '14-'15 and make for a much more entertaining playoff series than this past year.

So I wouldn't say BOS is a lock for the 8th seed, let alone 7th or 6th. Really depends if that's what the organization wants and if it is, they'll make one or two more moves. Honestly it may be a battle for that 8th seed this year. Wouldn't mind seeing that happen though.

Please share with me HOW the Hornets have improved themselves!!!  They lost the glue to their team in McRoberts.  They lost out of Hayward.  They drafted Vonleh who went 0-13 or 1-13 (depending on who you believe) in his first Summer league game while their other first round pick is a thug who shot 2-16 in his first game!!

PJ Hariston, while at UNC, was caught driving the car of a convicted felon TWICE and caught with a gun and marijuana in the vehicle he was in.  He just assaulted a 17-year-old kid at a Durham YMCA, hitting him twice!!  Now, we just found out he has an agent that is NOT certified by the NBA.

Oh yes, the Hornets did just sign Marvin Williams, one of the worst #2 picks in the last 10 years!!

Please fill me in on how the Hornets will even make the playoffs this year!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2014, 05:14:07 PM »

Offline NorthernLightning

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • zap

Smitty77

I think Michael Jordan's strategy was to pay Marvin Williams 7 million per and hope he plays like a 7 million dollar player.

Don't you love the way every other team gets hyped except the Celtics?

Now Pierce goes to Washington as a downgrade from Ariza, and Celtics fans project Washington second in the East, just like last year when Celtics fans thought the Nets were serious contenders. Because its still 2008.

« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2014, 05:51:37 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
;D

I do think this will be an exciting overachieving team. Not sure about the playoffs though.

Yeah. Last season started out so well, after Stevens finally stopped starting Bradley at PG after 4 games. We even led the division at one point. With a healthy, super-motivated Rondo and four good newcomers in Smart, Young, Zeller, and Thornton, we are going to make some noise.
I want to make noise but not the playoffs. Its just my feeling is that we will trade Rondo and go full youth movement.

Stuck in mediocrity?

« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2014, 05:56:29 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Smitty77

I think Michael Jordan's strategy was to pay Marvin Williams 7 million per and hope he plays like a 7 million dollar player.

Now Pierce goes to Washington as a downgrade from Ariza, and Celtics fans project Washington second in the East, just like last year when Celtics fans thought the Nets were serious contenders. Because its still 2008.

Michael Jordan said this about Josh McRoberts:

“The success of the team is McRoberts and how he can connect the dots,” said Jordan. “Hopefully he doesn’t opt out of his contract. We need to do everything we can to keep him.“

How in the world do you let a guy like that go to the Heat, no less, when you could have kept him by offering 3 years with a 4th year option of by paying $500,000 more per year than the Heat?????  Josh wanted to stay.  Once again, this PROVES that MJ is an absolutely HORRIBLE GM and owner since ending his real playing days!!!!  He is as bad of a GM and Owner as he was great as a player!!!!

BTW, I totally agree with how so many on this alleged CELTICSblog short-change our team compared to others.  I see our team as currently sits (and it will change by the start of the season) as EVEN with the "mighty" Hornets!!!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2014, 06:07:30 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Smitty77

“The success of the team is McRoberts and how he can connect the dots,” said Jordan. “Hopefully he doesn’t opt out of his contract. We need to do everything we can to keep him.“

How in the world do you let a guy like that go to the Heat, no less, when you could have kept him by offering 3 years with a 4th year option of by paying $500,000 more per year than the Heat?????  Josh wanted to stay.  Once again, this PROVES that MJ is an absolutely HORRIBLE GM and owner since ending his real playing days!!!!  He is as bad of a GM and Owner as he was great as a player!!!!

BTW, I totally agree with how so many on this alleged CELTICSblog short-change our team compared to others.  I see our team as currently sits (and it will change by the start of the season) as EVEN with the "mighty" Hornets!!!!!

Smitty77

And you know what MJ offered him?

Who's to say MJ didn't offer more, but McRoberts opted to play with the Heat Big 3 (now Big 2 if Wade stays).

« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2014, 06:32:27 PM »

Offline DesertDweller

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 92
(Associated Pressey)

Lost in the LeBron circus this week is the fact that the Boston Celtics are now in prime position to secure a 6-8 seed in the 2015 NBA Playoffs, after nabbing a starting center and scoring sparkplug in a one-sided trade.

Celtics insiders and intelligent fans are still celebrating after acquiring Tyler Zeller and Marcus Thornton for virtually nothing this week, and Celtics tickets are expected to go fast in the aftermath.

The 7'1" Zeller possesses the same knock down jumpshot that the Celtics have missed since Kevin Garnett was traded to the Nets last year. Zeller has never played with a true point guard like Rajon Rondo since entering the NBA two years ago.

'I've been lifting weights every day since the season ended,' Zeller may have said. 'I feel like I'm ready to make a big leap in my play, and playing for Boston gives me a perfect opportunity to break out.'

Boston is expected to trot out a Rondo/Bradley/Green/Sullinger/Zeller starting 5, and a bench that will compete for tops in the league.

'Kelly and I are going to be pretty lethal in the pick-and-roll off the bench', rookie Marcus Smart may have said. 'I have no problem coming off the bench behind Rondo and Bradley, and this second unit is going to be a wrecking crew. I can't wait for the season to start.'

Boston's second unit will be filled out by a Thornton/Young combo at shooting guard, Gerald Wallace at small forward, and the ever-steady Brandon Bass at PF.

We asked Celtics head coach Brad Stevens if this roster is really enough to compete in an improving Eastern Conference. 'Pfff', Stevens may have responded, 'not every young team is created equal. You reporters are starting to sound like the Negative Nancys on the fan blogs. Get ready to have your mind blown, that's all I have to say.'

It's hard to argue with that logic. This team was in need of a young, athletic starting center, and Zeller certainly appears to fit the bill. But only time will tell.

Finally, someone with "BALLS" with a capital "B".  so stinking tired of hearing the same old negative posts over and over.

« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2014, 06:45:22 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
Seems like we are forgetting the 30+ mins Bass/Humphries will steal from our developing front line.  :o

« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2014, 06:46:36 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Smitty77

Smitty77

And you know what MJ offered him?

Who's to say MJ didn't offer more, but McRoberts opted to play with the Heat Big 3 (now Big 2 if Wade stays).

You are correct.  I don't know the exact figure offered, but from what I have heard (and I live in NC about 45 minutes from the Time Warner Arena), the hold up was that Charlotte was ONLY will to offer 2 guaranteed years with a team option on year 3, but Miami offered an extra year.  Why would MJ not offer the years Josh desired IF he was SO important to the Hornets???

http://hoopshabit.com/2014/07/07/josh-mcroberts-bidding-war/

According to Stein, Michael Jordan‘s team made re-signing McBob one of their top offseason priorities given Miami’s interest. Unfortunately for the Hornets, it wasn’t quite enough.

Coach Clifford calls losing McRoberts a "hit!!"

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/07/10/5036098/hornets-coach-steve-clifford-on.html#.U8MLRbHOtaU

This from their GM Cho:

Hornets general manager Rich Cho spoke about his desire to bring the power forward back to Charlotte after he opted out of his current deal, per the Associated Press, via ESPN.com:

"He was a big part of our team and we definitely want to re-sign him," said Cho. "He helped Kemba (Walker) and he helped Big Al (Jefferson). He's such a great passer. He's a connector to the team. And he's a great teammate also. So we're hoping we sign him."

Now, would someone, anyone, please tell me how MJ has been successful at ANY point as a GM or owner?????

Smitty77

« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2014, 06:53:54 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
With all the first round picks we got

It would be hard NOT to land a Center  or  rather land at least ONE keeper player between now and 2018

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then

« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2014, 08:19:26 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Bobcats, Wizards, Cavs, Bulls, Raptors, Nets, Heat, Indiana, and Hawks are all clearly better than us. I dont see us making the playoffs.

How are the Hornets better than us??