Author Topic: Breaking: Zeller and Thornton Put Celts Over the Top  (Read 13379 times)

Re: Breaking: Zeller and Thornton Put Celts Over the Top
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2014, 01:43:47 PM »

Offline NorthernLightning

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • zap
Now Detroit joins the party? Lol, just like last year.

And Melo + DLeague All Stars isn't scaring anybody.

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2014, 01:45:07 PM »

• Jayson Tatum
  • zap
We're not going to make any noise lol, we're going to be a few wins better than last year. The Celtics aren't going to be good next year if no more moves are made. Just face it

You simply lack the ability to accurately project draft talent and the development of young players, and the impact of a top coach like Stevens.

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2014, 01:55:29 PM »

• Jayson Tatum
  • zap
The only thing that held the Nets together two years ago and kept them competitive was the toughness of Gerald Wallace, Hump, and even Bogans.

Those were the only guys with any heart.

Last year, Pierce and KG brought a lot of heart to the Nets, and they still started off terribly before finally figuring things out.

Now with Pierce gone and KG aging fast, the Nets simply don't have enough tough guys with heart to be anything more than an unlikely 8th seed.

DWill, Johnson, and Lopez are simply soft and gutless, not to mention frail, injury prone, and aging.

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2014, 02:03:20 PM »

Offline staticcc

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
Cleveland
Miami
Chicago
Indiana
Toronto
Washington
Charlotte

If by some miracle, we beat Atlanta and Brooklyn for the 8th seed, then what? I know those two teams have flaws too, but we have way more flaws than them. Our best bet is another injured season for Horford and Lopez to sniff the 8th seed, and that isn't even guaranteed.
"The bigger the lie, the more they believe." - Bunk

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2014, 02:04:41 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
The only thing that held the Nets together two years ago and kept them competitive was the toughness of Gerald Wallace, Hump, and even Bogans.

Last year, Pierce and KG brought a lot of heart to the Nets, and they still started off terribly before finally figuring things out.

Now with Pierce gone and KG aging fast, the Nets simply don't have enough tough guys with heart to be anything more than an unlikely 8th seed.

DWill, Johnson, and Lopez are simply soft and gutless, not to mention frail, injury prone, and aging.
You must be a writer...your choice of words are pinpoint accurate.   
TP +1

« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2014, 02:14:54 PM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 364
  • Hook 'Em
CLE
IND
ATL
WAS
TOR
MIA
CHA

All significantly better than us^

NY
BRK
ORL

Probably better than us^
DKC Suns

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2014, 02:16:03 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
How many wins will it take for them to make the 6th to 8th seed?

Probably 33-38 wins. The east is a mess.
You realize that there are perhaps 3 or 4 teams that have made the playoffs with less than 35 wins in an NBA season in the history of the NBA, right? Or are you just throwing numbers?

My money's on the latter.

With LeBron moving to CLE, there's definitely 8 teams that are better than Boston this year:

Miami
Indiana
Washington
Atlanta
Cleveland
Charlotte
New York
Brooklyn

I think all of those teams can comfortably beat the Celtics with the roster we have right now. And that's in the Eastern conference, so its not like we can just cruise over to the West to pick up the 40 or so wins that it'll take to make it into the 8th seed in the East next season.

It will be an interesting season in the Eastern Conference. How do you see the standings ending up? With Miami losing Lebron but keeping Wade, Bosh and adding possibly Deng, Granger, and McRoberts, they will still be very good. The Cavs will be a top team just by having Lebron, but they have a ton of talent and a tough center in Varejao. The Hawks get Horford back and have added some talent recently. The Wizards have a good team and are adding Pierce. The Pacers, assuming they keep Stephenson, are still a team with the talent to be the top in the ECF. Toronto was good last year and kept their main core. Lowry and Vasquez love to play there. Also, the Pistons under Van Gundy imo are going to be a good team, they have the players on their to be much better than they were last year. I'm going with:

Cavs
Indiana
Wizards
Miami
Atlanta
Toronto
New York
Detroit

I could see a run at 8th coming from Detroit if everything breaks right and the team falls in line under SVG, who's a hell of a coach.

My guess is;

Indiana
Cleveland
Chicago
Toronto
Miami

Will be in the mix for the top 4 slots with

Washington
Charlotte
Atlanta
New York
Brooklyn

Fighting for position in the bottom. That's 10 teams that, IMO, have a better shot at making the postseason than the Celtics. 6th Seed is utterly unrealistic if you actually watched the games last year, rather than Youtube highlights.

TP +1

His hyperbole definitely screams "hot sports take."
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2014, 02:22:20 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
How many wins will it take for them to make the 6th to 8th seed?

Probably 33-38 wins. The east is a mess.
You realize that there are perhaps 3 or 4 teams that have made the playoffs with less than 35 wins in an NBA season in the history of the NBA, right? Or are you just throwing numbers?

My money's on the latter.

With LeBron moving to CLE, there's definitely 8 teams that are better than Boston this year:

Miami
Indiana
Washington
Atlanta
Cleveland
Charlotte
New York
Brooklyn

I think all of those teams can comfortably beat the Celtics with the roster we have right now. And that's in the Eastern conference, so its not like we can just cruise over to the West to pick up the 40 or so wins that it'll take to make it into the 8th seed in the East next season.

It will be an interesting season in the Eastern Conference. How do you see the standings ending up? With Miami losing Lebron but keeping Wade, Bosh and adding possibly Deng, Granger, and McRoberts, they will still be very good. The Cavs will be a top team just by having Lebron, but they have a ton of talent and a tough center in Varejao. The Hawks get Horford back and have added some talent recently. The Wizards have a good team and are adding Pierce. The Pacers, assuming they keep Stephenson, are still a team with the talent to be the top in the ECF. Toronto was good last year and kept their main core. Lowry and Vasquez love to play there. Also, the Pistons under Van Gundy imo are going to be a good team, they have the players on their to be much better than they were last year. I'm going with:

Cavs
Indiana
Wizards
Miami
Atlanta
Toronto
New York
Detroit

I could see a run at 8th coming from Detroit if everything breaks right and the team falls in line under SVG, who's a hell of a coach.

My guess is;

Indiana
Cleveland
Chicago
Toronto
Miami

Will be in the mix for the top 4 slots with

Washington
Charlotte
Atlanta
New York
Brooklyn

Fighting for position in the bottom. That's 10 teams that, IMO, have a better shot at making the postseason than the Celtics. 6th Seed is utterly unrealistic if you actually watched the games last year, rather than Youtube highlights.

TP +1

His hyperbole definitely screams "hot sports take."

Great analysis, pretty spot on imo. I had forgotten about Chicago, and I agree that Washington, Charlotte, NY, and Brooklyn will all be fighting for the 5-8 seeds. The only point I disagree is Atlanta, I think they will be in the mix for top 4 seeds. Overall though, yes, that's 10 teams in the east that will be ahead of the Celtics. Thinking the Celtics have a shot at the playoffs or even the 6 seed is green tinted fan fiction.

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2014, 02:37:44 PM »

• Jayson Tatum
  • zap
Are you Knicks fans even aware of their roster situation?

What is their roster, and how is it clearly better than the Celtics?

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2014, 02:39:54 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I just looked at last year's standings, and considering other team's talent upgrades, experience from the playoffs (Washington, Toronto in particular), as well as better health records of their own, i think Boston is going to be in that 5-8th worst bracket in the NBA again.

Dont sleep on Detroit improving by 5+ games under Stan van gundy as well.

« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2014, 02:41:16 PM »

• Jayson Tatum
  • zap
My guess is;

Indiana
Cleveland
Chicago
Toronto
Miami

I pretty much agree with those. Everything else is up in the air and the Celtics are right there with:

Washington
Charlotte
Atlanta
New York
Brooklyn

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2014, 03:40:08 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
All of those teams have better players than the Celtics, with the possible exception of the Knicks -- but I doubt they'll be as bad as last year, and probably not as good as they were 2 years ago. ~40 wins, which is more than I can say for the C's.

I don't think we're as good as the Hornets, the Hawks. We're certainly not as good as the Wizards, and it would take a season-long streak of good luck (injuries, trades,etc.) for us to be better than either New York team.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2014, 03:58:32 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
My guess is;

Indiana
Cleveland
Chicago
Toronto
Miami

I pretty much agree with those. Everything else is up in the air and the Celtics are right there with:

Washington
Charlotte
Atlanta
New York
Brooklyn

We all need whatever you are smoking.....

« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2014, 04:10:41 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
This is how I see the EC shaping up (1-10):

1. Cleveland
2. Indiana
3. Washington
4. Chicago
5. Miami
6. Toronto
7. Boston
8. Charlotte
9. Atlanta
10. New York
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2014, 04:11:00 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Bobcats, Wizards, Cavs, Bulls, Raptors, Nets, Heat, Indiana, and Hawks are all clearly better than us. I dont see us making the playoffs.