Author Topic: Breaking: Zeller and Thornton Put Celts Over the Top  (Read 13389 times)

Breaking: Zeller and Thornton Put Celts Over the Top
« on: July 11, 2014, 02:10:06 PM »

Offline NorthernLightning

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • zap
(Associated Pressey)

Lost in the LeBron circus this week is the fact that the Boston Celtics are now in prime position to secure a 6-8 seed in the 2015 NBA Playoffs, after nabbing a starting center and scoring sparkplug in a one-sided trade.

Celtics insiders and intelligent fans are still celebrating after acquiring Tyler Zeller and Marcus Thornton for virtually nothing this week, and Celtics tickets are expected to go fast in the aftermath.

The 7'1" Zeller possesses the same knock down jumpshot that the Celtics have missed since Kevin Garnett was traded to the Nets last year. Zeller has never played with a true point guard like Rajon Rondo since entering the NBA two years ago.

'I've been lifting weights every day since the season ended,' Zeller may have said. 'I feel like I'm ready to make a big leap in my play, and playing for Boston gives me a perfect opportunity to break out.'

Boston is expected to trot out a Rondo/Bradley/Green/Sullinger/Zeller starting 5, and a bench that will compete for tops in the league.

'Kelly and I are going to be pretty lethal in the pick-and-roll off the bench', rookie Marcus Smart may have said. 'I have no problem coming off the bench behind Rondo and Bradley, and this second unit is going to be a wrecking crew. I can't wait for the season to start.'

Boston's second unit will be filled out by a Thornton/Young combo at shooting guard, Gerald Wallace at small forward, and the ever-steady Brandon Bass at PF.

We asked Celtics head coach Brad Stevens if this roster is really enough to compete in an improving Eastern Conference. 'Pfff', Stevens may have responded, 'not every young team is created equal. You reporters are starting to sound like the Negative Nancys on the fan blogs. Get ready to have your mind blown, that's all I have to say.'

It's hard to argue with that logic. This team was in need of a young, athletic starting center, and Zeller certainly appears to fit the bill. But only time will tell.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 02:20:06 PM by NorthernLightning »

Re: Breaking: Zeller and Thornton Put Celts Over the Top
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 02:12:10 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
LeBron*

:D
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 02:42:28 PM »

Offline Al91

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
The way I see it the following are locks for the EC Playoffs:

CLE
IND
ATL
CHI
CHA
WAS

That's it. Six teams. Can't put BKN there until Paul Pierce makes a decision. Won't put NYK in there until Carmelo chooses. Three of those teams (ATL, WAS, and CHA) should make good strides in '14-'15 and make for a much more entertaining playoff series than this past year.

So I wouldn't say BOS is a lock for the 8th seed, let alone 7th or 6th. Really depends if that's what the organization wants and if it is, they'll make one or two more moves. Honestly it may be a battle for that 8th seed this year. Wouldn't mind seeing that happen though.
Long-form is far from dead, but please refrain from paragraph-laden posts! Who wants to read that?!

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 02:47:39 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The way I see it the following are locks for the EC Playoffs:

I would only consider a team a lock if I thought they would make the playoffs even if their best player missed over half the season due to injury.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 02:57:19 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
(Associated Pressey)

Lost in the LeBron circus this week is the fact that the Boston Celtics are now in prime position to secure a 6-8 seed in the 2015 NBA Playoffs, after nabbing a starting center and scoring sparkplug in a one-sided trade.

Celtics insiders and intelligent fans are still celebrating after acquiring Tyler Zeller and Marcus Thornton for virtually nothing this week, and Celtics tickets are expected to go fast in the aftermath.

The 7'1" Zeller possesses the same knock down jumpshot that the Celtics have missed since Kevin Garnett was traded to the Nets last year. Zeller has never played with a true point guard like Rajon Rondo since entering the NBA two years ago.

'I've been lifting weights every day since the season ended,' Zeller may have said. 'I feel like I'm ready to make a big leap in my play, and playing for Boston gives me a perfect opportunity to break out.'

Boston is expected to trot out a Rondo/Bradley/Green/Sullinger/Zeller starting 5, and a bench that will compete for tops in the league.

'Kelly and I are going to be pretty lethal in the pick-and-roll off the bench', rookie Marcus Smart may have said. 'I have no problem coming off the bench behind Rondo and Bradley, and this second unit is going to be a wrecking crew. I can't wait for the season to start.'

Boston's second unit will be filled out by a Thornton/Young combo at shooting guard, Gerald Wallace at small forward, and the ever-steady Brandon Bass at PF.

We asked Celtics head coach Brad Stevens if this roster is really enough to compete in an improving Eastern Conference. 'Pfff', Stevens may have responded, 'not every young team is created equal. You reporters are starting to sound like the Negative Nancys on the fan blogs. Get ready to have your mind blown, that's all I have to say.'

It's hard to argue with that logic. This team was in need of a young, athletic starting center, and Zeller certainly appears to fit the bill. But only time will tell.
I don't think there's a team in the East other than Philly that you could make a good case for finishing worse than the C's.  Looking at the C's roster, I wouldn't bet against Orlando finishing better than us based on the talent they picked up in the draft.

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 03:12:42 PM »

• Jayson Tatum
  • zap
Only Cleveland and Chicago look clearly better on paper.

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 03:23:02 PM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50
No. Anyone sane would know were not contenders.

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 03:28:56 PM »

• Jayson Tatum
  • zap
not contenders, but right in the thick of the playoff hunt. There's probably only one or two teams in the east that are going to be contenders.

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 03:33:01 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Very funny. How's Aaron Gordon doing on his way to NBA stardom these days?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 03:38:57 PM »

• Jayson Tatum
  • zap

Are you saying the Celtics are completely out of the playoff picture?

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 03:47:12 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
How many wins will it take for them to make the 6th to 8th seed?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 03:49:26 PM »

• Jayson Tatum
  • zap

Probably 33-38 wins. The east is a mess.

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 04:12:38 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Probably 33-38 wins. The east is a mess.
You realize that there are perhaps 3 or 4 teams that have made the playoffs with less than 35 wins in an NBA season in the history of the NBA, right? Or are you just throwing numbers?

Are you saying the Celtics are completely out of the playoff picture?
No, just asking about Aaron Gordon...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 04:18:24 PM by kozlodoev »
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 06:00:48 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
This thread makes me  :o and  ;D

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 06:05:09 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Miami will be a playoff team again with Bosh returning and the signings Riley is doing now.