Author Topic: Looks like Miami should start rebuilding  (Read 3346 times)

Re: Looks like Miami should start rebuilding
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2014, 05:18:05 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Miami has a ton of cap room and could put together a pretty nice team among the remaining free agents.  I mean they literally have Norris Cole at 2.1 million under contract and no one else.  Obviously Wade has a huge cap hold, and Napier is something like 1.25 million along with McRoberts and Granger of like 7 million.

Say you sign Wade for 4 years, 70 million (so year one is like 15.5 million or so).  That is around 26 million of the 63 million cap, leaving Miami 37 million to play with.  That is plenty of room to put together a pretty solid team from the available free agents.  For example, they could throw major dollars at Monroe and Stephenson/Bledsoe/Thomas (or some combination thereof).  Maybe they bring in Pau and Deng/Ariza.  Maybe they shock the world and sign Carmelo Anthony to pair with Wade and then fill in around them.

Maybe they do something crazy like absorb Amare and take on a bunch of assets from the Knicks.  On that angle, I'm actually a bit surprised they didn't acquire Lin and a 1st from Houston.  I mean that seems like the perfect move for a team like Miami.  Get pieces for nothing, especially in a player that will draw some interest and maybe some new fans.

I am interested in this "bunch of assets" the knicks have. What does that entail?

Also with them losing their 1st pick next year if it falls outside the top ten, they actually have incentive to suck. Even if they signed Monroe, Bledsoe and Wade that is pretty far from a championship contender.
Hardaway, Shumpert, Larkin, Early

Not superstars, but guys you could easily see as at least rotation players on a contender.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2014, 05:25:26 PM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
Who says a wade led Miami can't win that division? Pretty weak that keeps them top 4 in the east.

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2014, 05:58:16 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Who says a wade led Miami can't win that division? Pretty weak that keeps them top 4 in the east.

they won't. bc he barely plays in the regular season.

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2014, 09:42:11 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
well Bosh is back.  Should make them an easy playoff team.  If they can land Ariza or Deng, they should probably win their division.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2014, 09:55:59 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Miami does have a lot of room to play with, but with Bosh back in the fold, and I'm sure Wade soon to follow, there wont be as much.

My understanding is that Granger and McRoberts were not official, so I don't think Miami needs sign those guys (ie: it was contingent on LBJ being back and those guys knew that).

As a side note, it is funny that a player like Ariza is suddenly the hottest commodity on the market. There is about to be a bidding war out there for him. I have nothing against him, but he's about to get $15M/year for several years from someone..... Seems like a huge overpay for a #3 or #4 player....
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2014, 10:16:12 PM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
Bosh played this situation like a virtuoso.  He is the clear winner here.

No way he gets,or deserves, $ 118m unless LBJ bolts Miami.  He was patient, used Houston to drive up his price.