Author Topic: Anyone gain a lot of respect for LeBron?  (Read 15939 times)

Re: Anyone gain a lot of respect for LeBron?
« Reply #90 on: July 12, 2014, 10:23:24 AM »

Offline showtime

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 20
 There should be a picture of LeBron  under the word Quitter. He quit on the Cavs in game 5 against the Celtics and went off to the Heat. He quit and sat on the bench as the Spurs defeated his Heat. He has given the term " when the going gets tough, the tough get going" a whole new meaning.

« Reply #91 on: July 12, 2014, 10:41:12 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
There should be a picture of LeBron  under the word Quitter. He quit on the Cavs in game 5 against the Celtics and went off to the Heat. He quit and sat on the bench as the Spurs defeated his Heat. He has given the term " when the going gets tough, the tough get going" a whole new meaning.

I've been as critical of Lebron as anyone and would have taken pleasure in bashing him if he went to Houston, Chicago, or the Lakers.  Or even if he re-signed with the Heat with an opt out after one season giving him the option to join Carmelo in NY next year.  But returning to his rundown hometown, who he previously played for, whose fans were devastated when he left after he failed to win a championship for is a classy move... even if it may be in his best long term basketball interests.

I also liked how he quietly delivered a well written essay to Sports Illustrated just prior to hopping on a plane to Brazil.

« Reply #92 on: July 12, 2014, 10:56:03 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
...or he thought - "forget about trying to build a super team, if i'm going to lose. I may as well go back home, get a max deal and sit back and get a fat check while i'm losing." 

« Reply #93 on: July 12, 2014, 11:00:17 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
no respect at all.  i look at the body of his work and actions.  i believe the "essay" was written by him and PR people, in order to attempt at rectifying his image.  he is the best player in the world, but he is still an egocentric DB in my eyes.

« Reply #94 on: July 12, 2014, 11:49:36 AM »

Offline showtime

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 20

I've been as critical of Lebron as anyone and would have taken pleasure in bashing him if he went to Houston, Chicago, or the Lakers.  Or even if he re-signed with the Heat with an opt out after one season giving him the option to join Carmelo in NY next year.  But returning to his rundown hometown, who he previously played for, whose fans were devastated when he left after he failed to win a championship for is a classy move... even if it may be in his best long term basketball interests.

I also liked how he quietly delivered a well written essay to Sports Illustrated just prior to hopping on a plane to Brazil.
  The word classy and LeBron should never be used in the same sentence!

« Reply #95 on: July 12, 2014, 12:05:18 PM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50

« Reply #96 on: July 12, 2014, 12:07:03 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
I'm rooting for him. Lebron going back is great.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #97 on: July 12, 2014, 12:33:38 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I respect his decision because he's doing what he feels is the right thing -- and that's the only thing that matters.  And he handled it in a mature manner.

Nobody knows what conversations Lebron had with Wade and Bosh behind closed doors.  If he really led them on to believe he was staying in Miami, then fleeced these 2 good friends of his, then I'd lose respect for him.  But I don't feel that happened.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #98 on: July 12, 2014, 12:50:02 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
Ship jumper.  He had a smart guy write up that piece for him, so I respect the fact that the people around him are giving him better advice.

But I don't credit him for being the first one off a sinking ship.  Bosh and Wade just can't get it done and they make too much money for that team to be any good.  Well, good enough I should say.  They are taking on water and the boat was only going down.  Might have been a slow sink but the hole wasn't repairable.

What he needed was a team with one high paid star and maybe the last two #1 overall picks on rookie deals so he could make max money and still be on a contender for the next 4 years.  Where could that be... oh yeah, but he'd have to go work for the guy who publicly called him a coward and a quitter and left it on the team website up until a week or so ago.  Hmmmm.... I haven't gained respect for anyone in this. 

Certainly not Lebron, not Gilbert for taking Lebron back even though he had no choice, definitely not the jersey burning fans of Cleveland, not Bosh or Wade or Allen or Miller for following around Lebron like puppy dogs hoping for a scrap of their master's dinner to fall on the floor or for the NBA teams who waited and waited on Lebron like 15yr old school girls watching varsity football practice.

« Reply #99 on: July 12, 2014, 10:31:56 PM »

Offline shrinkage36

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21
I actually think I've gained respect for Lebron this time. Did not like the way he left Cleveland, this time, he was classy about it, didn't brag about it, just sucks he didn't come here. haha

« Reply #100 on: July 12, 2014, 10:54:54 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
I never lost respect for Lebron. I am no fan of his but I respect his talent and his demeanor on the basketball court. I am more happy for Cleveland and would have no problem with them winning a CHiP because the Celtics probably are not capable of winning one for several years.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #101 on: July 12, 2014, 10:55:17 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Lebron does what he wants.  Nothing special to respect there.

Bosh took the max money possible and doesn't have to move.  Moving sucks.  Good for him.

Ditto for Carmelo.

Wade is a MLE player now on the open market, as far as I'm concerned.  Not worth big money for the health risk; he can't lead or be #2, possibly not even #3.  Yet he will insist on making big star money.  If he takes the hit in the wallet like he deserves, Riley has a chance to bring in another special player.

But it sure is entertaining watching mulitple franchises literally give away talented players and picks just to clear space to possibly sign one of those schmucks, even when they really don't have much of a chance.

« Reply #102 on: July 13, 2014, 12:55:30 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Did we crap on Pierce for convincing KG to facilitate the Nets trade? Did we label those two as quitters or "ship jumpers"?

Them two kinda did label Ray Allen a "bailer" or some other negative connotation when Ray Ray went to Miami.

I can understand people seeing the hypocricy above.

If you felt like you were presented with a better job offer, for whatever reasons, and your family gave the OK to pursue this new job, you'd most likely take it and move on too.

« Reply #103 on: July 13, 2014, 02:28:42 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
i admit that I am overly cynical. My life experiences have given me a view that most people will do whatever is in their best interest.

When it comes to Lebron and how he is going back to CLE, I don't believe that it is about Ohio, and how he wants to go back home, and its from the heart......BS

I would put money that Lebron would have either stayed in Miami or gone somewhere else, had the Cavs not gotten the 1st pick with just 1.7%chance.

I feel like the movie "the Watchmen" and the Comedian, when he says everything is a big joke...everything

« Reply #104 on: July 13, 2014, 11:16:57 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
Did we crap on Pierce for convincing KG to facilitate the Nets trade? Did we label those two as quitters or "ship jumpers"?

Them two kinda did label Ray Allen a "bailer" or some other negative connotation when Ray Ray went to Miami.

big difference when Pierce and KG left. they were aged veterans, whose coach was leaving and  weren't able to carry the load anymore and there wasn't a chance we could improve the team around them. this unit ran  it's course.

Ray is going to be viewed harshly by most C's fans and deservedly so. he did sort of bail though.

Lebron has now left 2 50+ win teams and in both situations could have taken less to improve the team around him instead of leaving. I get that he wants to get paid now but I really don't want to see this guy on the sidelines quitting in the last yr. of his current deal when his team is about to lose another playoff series again. not when he dictates the team he asked to be put around him.