Author Topic: Anyone gain a lot of respect for LeBron?  (Read 15972 times)

Re: Anyone gain a lot of respect for LeBron?
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2014, 03:19:34 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
He bailed on a team that wasn't good enough to join his contemporary superstars, went to 4 straight finals with them, won 2, lost 2, and now that they are beginning to show their age and he doesn't think that they are good enough, he's bailing on them to go to a team with young superstars.

Say what you will, but none of the other greats played this game.  They proved their greatness by growing into and leading the team around them, not bouncing around into ready made situations.

Kareem?  Wilt?  Shaq?  KG?  Dr J sort of inadvertently?

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2014, 03:19:58 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I already said everything I could about it yesterday:

Look, let's set this straight. 

First of all, with no salary cap, LeBron would make 50+ million per season.  This isn't about money.  I think it's insulting to suggest LeBron should take a pay cut.  Get over that.

Second of all, I think people misunderstand why LeBron left Cleveland. He left, because the Cavs had failed to put a team around him.  They blew the Carlos Boozer thing, they failed to make any impact signings or trades... and the team surrounding LeBron was hot garbage.  He managed to take a team to the Finals where his best teammates were Larry Hughes and Drew Gooden.  In retrospect, that team was embarrassingly bad without him. 

Anyone who doesn't understand that need only note that the Cavs won 61 games in 2009-10... his key teammates were Mo Williams, Anthony Parker, JJ Hickson, Antawn Jamison and Daniel Gibson.   The very next season, none of those players left and they won 19 games.  The team was garbage.  Indisputable fact. 

Meanwhile, the media unfairly put all the blame on him... like it wasn't enough that he singlehandedly could take a 19 win team to 61 wins.  He failed to win a title... it was all on him.  He didn't want to be Kevin Garnett... he didn't want to waste the prime of his career on some also-ran squad and take the blame.  And like Kevin Garnett, he immediately proved that with a couple competent teammates, he could contend for a title.   4 straight Finals appearances... 2 Championships.   

He left, because they didn't have any talent.  Not because he hated Cleveland.  Not because of money.  Because of the gross incompetence of that franchise.  But also note that when he left... even in "The Decision", he prefaced his iconic comment by saying "at this time... I'm taking my talents to South Beach."   Even in that comment he foreshadowed that it could be a temporary thing.  Like maybe if Cleveland got their **** together, he'd return.

Now here we are... the Cavs, through luck (not competence) have fallen assbackwards into a team loaded with elite young talent and assets.   There's really no reason for LeBron NOT to return.   He left, because they failed to build a team around him.   With Kyrie and Love on board, he might as well go home.   I will not get butt-hurt about it.  I'm not going to throw a fit.  His move to Miami was 1000% defensible and warranted.  His move back to Cleveland would just make sense.

Never lost respect for him.  His return makes sense.  Love/Wiggins/LeBron will be an epic team.  Congrats to him. 

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2014, 03:21:20 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
He would have received criticism either way. If he went back to Miami, he would have been accused of stringing Cleveland along and all that stuff. There's nothing he can do about that. This "taking the easy way out" seems like a lazy argument to me. Of course Bird didn't. It helps to get drafted into an organization with HOF talent surrounding you for the entirety of your career. Same for Magic, who himself said that if he got drafted by the Bulls, he wouldn't have played there.

List goes on and on. Pierce said he would've requested a trade if KG/Ray didn't come. KG only considered Boston once Ray was traded for. Almost every star player does this.

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2014, 03:21:59 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Can someone explain to me how leaving Wade and Bosh is taking the easy way out?  It's laughable?  He is going home to a team that hasn't won in a billion years and putting them on his shoulders to win a title??  His roster is made up of 20 somethings ( although talented ) unproven players.  If he was taking the easy way out, he would have stayed in Miami with Bosh and Wade and tried to rebuild with no pressure to win because he already did...  He has an enormous amount of pressure to win in Cleveland now, more than ever....
It's the easy way out because it got everyone all mushy about "the return of the King". Also, because he no longer has to deal with the basketball graveyard called South Beach.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2014, 03:22:08 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Not me.

I can see why it's a good move. But I hate superstars who wants the easy way out. He did this before when he joined Miami, he's doing it again.

Feel good story all you want, I bet you my next months tips that he wont return to Cleveland if Kyrie and Wiggins wasnt there. In fact, I'll bet the other month's worth that he will still leave Miami and go to either Dallas or Houston. 

Yeah that's right, I said it. He's the best talent in the world, but he's King James The Spineless to me.

would he be spineless if he chose Boston??  He is not taking the easy way out by the way...it's the complete opposite.  He has opened himself up to so much pressure to bring a title to Cleveland with a bunch kids on the roster.  He could have stayed in Miami, probably got a title of two and been mentioned with Jordan etc....Now he has to bring a title to Cleveland or he will be looked at as a disappointment.  I respect this move he made today, takes some guts...

If he chose Boston? He wont go to Boston, we don't have Andrew Wiggins or Kyrie Irving or the ability to trade for Kevin Love and an assurance of him resigning.

Not taking the easy way out? Call them kids, Kyrie Irving is a franchise player, Wiggins is billed to be this potential star. Cavs have 3 1st rounders coming in, so Cavs are in a better position to add more players around him. He basically traded his older big three, whos still capable of contending, to a younger big three. He saw that Wade is breaking down and Bosh, who's reportedly willing to resign if LeBron stayed wont be enough help, so he bolted for the team with a better situation to build.

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2014, 03:25:33 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
No.

He only came back because Cleveland lucked out in getting ANOTHER #1 pick to select Andrew Wiggins. Now they can deal him for Kevin Love.

And thus, LeBron taking his talents back to Northeast Ohio. Once a ring-rider, always a ring-rider.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2014, 03:27:43 PM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Not me.

I can see why it's a good move. But I hate superstars who wants the easy way out. He did this before when he joined Miami, he's doing it again.

Feel good story all you want, I bet you my next months tips that he wont return to Cleveland if Kyrie and Wiggins wasnt there. In fact, I'll bet the other month's worth that he will still leave Miami and go to either Dallas or Houston. 

Yeah that's right, I said it. He's the best talent in the world, but he's King James The Spineless to me.

would he be spineless if he chose Boston??  He is not taking the easy way out by the way...it's the complete opposite.  He has opened himself up to so much pressure to bring a title to Cleveland with a bunch kids on the roster.  He could have stayed in Miami, probably got a title of two and been mentioned with Jordan etc....Now he has to bring a title to Cleveland or he will be looked at as a disappointment.  I respect this move he made today, takes some guts...

If he chose Boston? He wont go to Boston, we don't have Andrew Wiggins or Kyrie Irving or the ability to trade for Kevin Love and an assurance of him resigning.

Not taking the easy way out? Call them kids, Kyrie Irving is a franchise player, Wiggins is billed to be this potential star. Cavs have 3 1st rounders coming in, so Cavs are in a better position to add more players around him. He basically traded his older big three, whos still capable of contending, to a younger big three. He saw that Wade is breaking down and Bosh, who's reportedly willing to resign if LeBron stayed wont be enough help, so he bolted for the team with a better situation to build.

The pressure for him to win is higher now than it's ever been and he is doing it with younger / unproven players???  If he decided to take the easy way out, could have stayed in Miami with those guys and kept it together but he decided to try and win with Cleveland and for a team that has never won.  He is under a ton of pressure now, more than ever...

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2014, 03:29:27 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Found it hard to root for him as a Celtics fan during his run with Heat, but have become a fan of him because of this move and his reasons. Any other Celtics fans feeling the same way?

It's hypocrisy to say "I'm coming home" when it was your decision to leave in the first place.

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2014, 03:32:26 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Not me.

I hate him so much right now, that I'm rooting for Dwyane Wade to destroy him.

I agree, I feel for the Cleveland fans, they deserve a winner. But no respect for Lebron. Why do we have to say that this was such a good move when he is taking the easy way out again. Sure he can make whatever move he wants, but don't expect me to put you in the top 5 players ever. You have to earn that by making your team better, not switching to whatever circumstances make your career easier.

Can someone explain to me how leaving Wade and Bosh is taking the easy way out?  It's laughable?  He is going home to a team that hasn't won in a billion years and putting them on his shoulders to win a title??  His roster is made up of 20 somethings ( although talented ) unproven players.  If he was taking the easy way out, he would have stayed in Miami with Bosh and Wade and tried to rebuild with no pressure to win because he already did...  He has an enormous amount of pressure to win in Cleveland now, more than ever....

Because Miami will have a Wade who's breaking down and Bosh, and a team that wont be able to add up solid players because of cap situations. Even though that team made the Finals 4 years in a row. He saw that it'll be tough to win there again.

He will then join a team with franchise PG (who looks like a younger version of Wade), either a blue chip star in Andrew Wiggins or Kevin Love, who's also a superstar. And the ability to add more better players because they own multiple 1st round picks. He once again chose a ready made better situation instead of grinding out one more for another ring, like what superstars are supposed to do.

« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2014, 03:37:33 PM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Not me.

I agree, I feel for the Cleveland fans, they deserve a winner. But no respect for Lebron. Why do we have to say that this was such a good move when he is taking the easy way out again. Sure he can make whatever move he wants, but don't expect me to put you in the top 5 players ever. You have to earn that by making your team better, not switching to whatever circumstances make your career easier.

Because Miami will have a Wade who's breaking down and Bosh, and a team that wont be able to add up solid players because of cap situations. Even though that team made the Finals 4 years in a row. He saw that it'll be tough to win there again.

He will then join a team with franchise PG (who looks like a younger version of Wade), either a blue chip star in Andrew Wiggins or Kevin Love, who's also a superstar. And the ability to add more better players because they own multiple 1st round picks. He once again chose a ready made better situation instead of grinding out one more for another ring, like what superstars are supposed to do.

I don't think we are going to agree on this one:)  You can see the amount of pressure he has placed on himself to deliver a title to Cleveland right??  Way more than before?  Kyrie is a great player, no doubt but nobody knows what Wiggins is???  Only reason he was the top pick was because Embiid got hurt???  They could turn that into Love and he is a great player but still they have to go out and perform??  Regardless of the rosters for Miami or Cleveland with this decision he has placed a tremendous amount of pressure on himself to deliver, more than he did in Miami and more than he did in his early days.  IMO he did not choodr the easy way out at all....

« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2014, 03:39:18 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Not me.

The pressure for him to win is higher now than it's ever been and he is doing it with younger / unproven players???  If he decided to take the easy way out, could have stayed in Miami with those guys and kept it together but he decided to try and win with Cleveland and for a team that has never won.  He is under a ton of pressure now, more than ever...

The pressure of him to win in Miami is the same as with Cleveland. That pressure never left.

Again, if he stayed he'll have an aging, breaking down Wade, Bosh, McBob, Granger and minimum level players.

In Cleveland he'll have Irving, Love OR Wiggins, Tristan Thompson, Varejao, a little more cap room to add yet another impact player, and 3 first round picks in the next couple of years.

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2014, 03:39:48 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Not me.

Amen. I said the same things in the other thread as the news broke. I still can't stand him and watch him jump ship on Cleveland and break their hearts again in two years if they fail to make the Finals he's a joke.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2014, 03:41:20 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Not me.

I don't think we are going to agree on this one:)  You can see the amount of pressure he has placed on himself to deliver a title to Cleveland right??  Way more than before? 

You mean more pressure when he joined Wade and Bosh in their primes? Cmon now?

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2014, 03:44:28 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Actually check that opinion, I have lost respect for Lebron bc he wants to live in Ohio and can choose to live anywhere else in the US.

Well, you just insulted all of rural America. What's wrong with living in Ohio, or any other "cold weather" location? Why are big cities so great? The crime? The gangs? Having all those bars and strip clubs where guys can get in trouble? And have you ever been in L.A. in the summer? It sucks. It's 95-100 degrees here all the time. Phoenix is even worse, routinely over 100. I'm from Maine, and I'd much rather live there than Southern California.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2014, 03:45:19 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I respect him for  making the only decision that makes sense. Shows he is not dumb.

Again, anyone that did not see was just plain in denial.

I have stated the reasons, and will not repeat it here. There was just no other decision for the best player in the world.

You do not continue to play second to Wade, you do not go and join Kobe, you do not go and join Howard, or Rose.

You go back to your hometown, win them a Championship and the City is yours!!!!