Author Topic: (idea) Rondo for Kyrie Irving or Wiggins?  (Read 1259 times)

(idea) Rondo for Kyrie Irving or Wiggins?
« on: July 11, 2014, 01:17:42 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Rondo's a winner. Lebron likes him. If Love goes to Cleveland we're in trouble for a while.
Kyrie just signed a max deal. Going to be very hard for the C's to get past the Cavs for the next 5 years.

Trade 1:
Rondo+Bogans

for

Kyrie Irving.

Trade 2:
Rondo for Wiggins+ salary.

Gives us an All Star point guard for another expiring All Star point guard.
Kyrie isn't as good as Rondo in his prime and 100% healthy (yet- perhaps he'll get better).

But he's still an All Star and top 20 player locked up for 4 seasons. If we want to go after 2015 Free agents having him in place might be a good move.

Or we take the rebuild route that starts with Wiggins, Smart and Young with Bradley and Sully and Olynyk.

Who would Lebron rather play with?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Re: (idea) Rondo for Kyrie Irving ?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 01:19:28 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Rondo's a winner. Lebron likes him. If Love goes to Cleveland we're in trouble for a while.
Kyrie just signed a max deal.

Rondo+Bogans

for

Kyrie Irving.

Gives us an All Star point guard for another expiring All Star point guard.
Kyrie isn't as good as Rondo in his prime and 100% healthy (yet- perhaps he'll get better).

But he's still an All Star and top 20 player locked up for 4 seasons. If we want to go after 2015 Free agents having him in place might be a good move.

Who would Lebron rather play with?

Lebron would no doubt want to play with Rondo. But he has said he wouldn't mind mentoring Kyrie, so who knows.. This will make Kyrie all the more better learning from the best.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Re: (idea) Rondo for Kyrie Irving or Wiggins?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 01:22:43 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Hah. No.

Kyrie and love will work beautifully with the king, because they are both elite shooters. Should be even more dominant than his Miami teams

Re: (idea) Rondo for Kyrie Irving ?
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 01:23:21 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I did not expect to see a trade a rondo for Kyrie thread minutes after Lebron's announcement. I should have known better!

If i am the cavs, i keep Irving. He has the upside and the shooting needed to space the floor around Lebron. I think his defense will pick up now that that team has a leader who will hold dudes accountable.

Meanwhile rondo's health is an unknown. He looked like a shell of himself last season. As of today Kyrie is the better player, with his prime ahead of him.

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 01:24:00 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Absolutely no chance of this happening. Kyrie, Thompson, and Varejao were the three players the Cavs knew to leave alone as per LeBron's wishes.  Plus, Kyrie's far younger and has much more potential, which is exactly part of the reason why LeBron is returning (to shift into more of a mentor role).  Factor in that Rondo has yet to show he's fully healed from his ACL injury and there's no way the Cavs don't hang up immediately.

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 01:24:31 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
No chance.

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 01:27:48 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Hah. No.

Kyrie and love will work beautifully with the king, because they are both elite shooters. Should be even more dominant than his Miami teams

Two sides of the coin here though...

Kyrie's a fairly ball dominant,  score first point guard. Would you want to pay him 19 million to be a side kick for his shooting?

Rondo's one of the best in the league at finding those shooters that they'll add to the roster.
He's also only 12 million for this season, so essentially there's another 7 million to play with there AND re-sign him over the cap.

I'd rather take Love over Rondo obviously, but if I could take Love AND Rondo instead of Kyrie you'd have to think long and hard, particularly with the salary implications of Rondo's deal being so much better.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 01:28:38 PM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I like the idea, but I would prefer Rondo and Bradley for Irving and Wiggins.  :)

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 01:48:10 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Hah. No.

Two sides of the coin here though...

Kyrie's a fairly ball dominant,  score first point guard. Would you want to pay him 19 million to be a side kick for his shooting?

Rondo's one of the best in the league at finding those shooters that they'll add to the roster.
He's also only 12 million for this season, so essentially there's another 7 million to play with there AND re-sign him over the cap.

I'd rather take Love over Rondo obviously, but if I could take Love AND Rondo instead of Kyrie you'd have to think long and hard, particularly with the salary implications of Rondo's deal being so much better.

Rondo is being paid that figure for only one season. Considering what Parsons and Hayward are getting, rondo is going to cost at least 15, and possibly closer to 18 per year if he bounces back to peak form.