Author Topic: LeBron to CLE is horrible news for the C's  (Read 20986 times)

Re: LeBron to CLE is horrible news for the C's
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2014, 01:47:34 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
@RealGM  2m
Broussard: Cavs offer Dion Waiters, Anthony Bennett, first round pick to Wolves for Kevin Love.

Boston's offer is better.

That is a pretty horrible offer imo.. Bennett didn't really show that he is an NBA player last season and Waiters showed little to no improvement between his 1st and second season while shooting 42% from the field and 34% from 3. That call probably gets a hang up.

« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2014, 01:48:52 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Again, to respond to the big free agent coming to Boston talk next summer -- the next, big time free agent to sign in Boston will be the first.

« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2014, 01:50:05 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Rondo is not being traded to the Kings.

« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2014, 01:50:57 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Lebron supposedly directed the Cavs to trade for Antawn Jamison because he thought a stretch four fits him better, so I presume he would value Love's game.  I can see Cleveland being unwilling to give up Wiggins and Saunders being stubborn unless he gets Wiggins plus some.

If Boston still wants to get Love, they need to acquire a young SG/SF with 20 ppg and All-Star potential who is expected to be a starter next season to flip to Flip.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2014, 01:51:58 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
Again, to respond to the big free agent coming to Boston talk next summer -- the next, big time free agent to sign in Boston will be the first.

And, again, when have the Celtics ever had the legit cap room to sign a "big-time" free agent?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2014, 01:54:26 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429

And, again, when have the Celtics ever had the legit cap room to sign a "big-time" free agent?

Not sure of that answer, but I would guess at some point the team had enough money. From everything I have seen, the top free agents want three things -- a real chance to contend, great climate and night life, and low taxes. I think Boston loses out in all three.

« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2014, 01:55:25 PM »

Online snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
I thought Woj reported that Cavs were ready to offer the #1 for Love at the draft, but balked when Love indicated no interest in resigning.

I'd be very surprised if we don't see a Love for Wiggins swap.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2014, 01:55:26 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
@RealGM  2m
Broussard: Cavs offer Dion Waiters, Anthony Bennett, first round pick to Wolves for Kevin Love.

That is a pretty horrible offer imo.. Bennett didn't really show that he is an NBA player last season and Waiters showed little to no improvement between his 1st and second season while shooting 42% from the field and 34% from 3. That call probably gets a hang up.

I agree that offer is horrible, even though Bennett may turn things around at some point.  He's very young after all.

However, I think Cleveland would be foolish to offer Wiggins for Love.  Why downgrade the defense of the team when you've got a ton of offensive firepower already?  If Wiggins has a great first year he'll soon be worth a lot more than just Kevin Love.

« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2014, 01:56:07 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
@RealGM  2m

Anything without Wiggins is utterly offensive.
What if Wiggins is a 3 to 4 year project?  That means Minn develops him and then risks losing him to free agency.  Not sure how you can sell him or anything else Cleveland (or Boston for that matter) are offering to your fan base - one that's already p---ed at you because you can't keep a star player. 

« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2014, 01:58:39 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
@RealGM  2m

I agree that offer is horrible, even though Bennett may turn things around at some point.  He's very young after all.

However, I think Cleveland would be foolish to offer Wiggins for Love.  Why downgrade the defense of the team when you've got a ton of offensive firepower already?  If Wiggins has a great first year he'll soon be worth a lot more than just Kevin Love.

This is why I have a really hard time envisioning a trade for Love to the Cavs that is actually good for them. They really become just like the Heat in a lot of ways if they get Love. They will be at the Cap with 3 players and still have no center, defense or depth. At least with the Rocket's potential big 3 you would have a lot more versatility between howard, bosh and harden.

« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2014, 01:58:54 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Yup, and I'd add that free agents like KG and Ray who chose to re-sign here were still free agents. 

« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2014, 02:01:37 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Nice, way for the Cavs to insult Flip with that terrible offer.  That is great news

« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2014, 02:05:28 PM »

Offline nacceltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
@JeffZillgitt  3m
Whatever the Cavs offer Timberwolves for Kevin Love, I keep hearing the offer needs to include Andrew Wiggins to make it work.

« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2014, 02:08:47 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
Yep,  we're Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ed.   It's time to get worse.

« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2014, 02:12:04 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
@RealGM  2m

The Cavs are playing hardball. All they need is for Love to set the bridge on fire and announce "I won't resign anywhere but Cleveland." If he does that, the Wolves will be stuck taking what Cleveland gives them.

They will have brought it on themselves, though. They could have taken a much better offer at any time. They held out.