Author Topic: is our team too good to tank in 2014-15?  (Read 7323 times)

Re: is our team too good to tank in 2014-15?
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2014, 10:14:10 AM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
It's a crap team in the crap conference.  Dump Rondo and Tankapalooza 2014 is in full effect.  And (if they can't get Love) that's a good thing.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2014, 10:16:20 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Yeah, if they keep Rondo and Green, they should be competing for the playoffs in the east.  Of course it remains to be seen if those guys are still here in November.

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2014, 10:27:11 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Yeah, if they keep Rondo and Green, they should be competing for the playoffs in the east.  Of course it remains to be seen if those guys are still here in November.

So...whats the difference between having rondo and green last year and not making the playoffs, to this year making the playoffs??

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2014, 10:31:11 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
Does it matter for anything? I mean, next years draft looks bad. real bad.

But for prediction sake I say we get the 11th and 24th picks (Clippers).

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2014, 10:32:10 AM »

Offline ChiefDK

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7
I think we're looking at a 35-38 win team next season. Normally you don't want to be in this position, but with the plethora of draft picks Ainge has stashed, it's not so bad. They'll probably just miss the playoffs and end up with the 10th or 11th pick in the draft.

I see a full year of Rondo, continued improvement of Bradley, Olynyk, and Sullinger as the main reasons for the 10-13 game improvement.

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2014, 10:43:57 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I actually think its a tough call. I would say a healthy rondo if fully engaged should count for a up tick in wins as will sully being further removed from surgery. As a rookie I think Smarts impact will be marginally better then Bayless's, James young will be maine bound. Thorton will give the Cs added scoring and presumably take minutes away from Wallace this should account for a few addition wins. Zeller is a better fit then Hump but not yet as good a player I think this is a wash. I think KO will be held back if Bass is still on the roster. If Bass is traded KO may thrive off the bench increasing the win total. If Bass stays I would expect similar production from both players.

All then said I predict the current roster to be a 35 win team, ATL made the playoffs with 38wins last year.

The other lottery teams in the east should improve. James decision between Heat and Cavs will swing the wins and lose from one team to another but without James I still think the Cavs win more games then last year. Phili's front office wont try to win games but the players and coach will and with developing healthy talent they should win more. The Bucks should see an up kick in wins with the health of Sanders and the addition of Parker. I could see them as a surprise fringe playoff team. Orl, Detroit and NY I expect to all stay where they are in the standings, the knick may have a few game improvment with the addition of calderon.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2014, 10:45:25 AM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137

So...whats the difference between having rondo and green last year and not making the playoffs, to this year making the playoffs??

Well Rondo is hopefully in full health, wont have to sit in back to backs, and shouldn't have to get his minutes slowly increased. Also the possibility of a Healthy Rondo, decent playing from Smart, improved KO and Sully playing his true position takes less  pressure of Green as the main option where he can stay relevant every game. I like the idea optimistically. Seems possible imo

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2014, 10:55:07 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
I think we're looking at a 35-38 win team next season. Normally you don't want to be in this position, but with the plethora of draft picks Ainge has stashed, it's not so bad. They'll probably just miss the playoffs and end up with the 10th or 11th pick in the draft.

I see a full year of Rondo, continued improvement of Bradley, Olynyk, and Sullinger as the main reasons for the 10-13 game improvement.

personally I think ainge's whole plan has been to go hard in 2015 free agency when the c's have 33million$ off the books and a plethora of draft picks/assets. we could concievably sign Marc Gasol and then try and swing a trade for another all-star calibar player.

ainge surely isn't making 2-3 draft picks each year.

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2014, 10:57:13 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Most depends on Rondo's form during the season.

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2014, 10:59:37 AM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
Barring injuries to key players, something that seems to always happen unfortunately, I believe the Celtics will be close to a playoff spot and if they miss out, it'll be in the final days of the season.

A full season of Rondo...lot of fresh legs running up and down the court...I believe they will win some of the close games they lost last year, and that will push them to the brink of the playoffs.

Personally, with several draft picks already in hand for next year plus a lot of cap space available, I'd like to see this team make the playoffs this year.  Once there, anything can happen and they get valuable experience that will benefit the team in the following years.  It also would show progress, not only with the players, but with the coaching staff.

Rak

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2014, 11:24:56 AM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
It depends on one's definition of tanking. This team still has major flaws that will lead to losses.

1. There is no one good enough to start at center.
2. There is not enough outside shooting, particularly from 3 point land.
3. The team lacks an elite go to scorer during the last 4 minute crunch of each game.

If all the key rotation players are healthy and buy in, i could see 40 wins and an 8th seed though.

If this is our team, and given normal injuries, i see a 32-36 win team, and a 10-12 pick in the draft.

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2014, 11:41:35 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
We need to get rid of people that are not pieces of our future team and will only inflate our winning percentage. Bass is number one. Hump is next. Then Bayless. Those 3 are quality vets that should be on winning teams. They are not starters, even on our team this year, but they are great backups and will keep us in games.

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2014, 11:42:13 AM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
unless we trade Rondo for rooks and picks, we're going to try to win as many games as possible. it makes sense to get the winning tradition back. it'll make Rondo and others happy and make Boston more attractive to a potential FA next summer.

Rondo's fully back - - in the prime of his prime -- zero excuses for not being an All-Star and game changer

Bradley should be over his injury woes. Flush with a new contract, at 23, ready to have his best season yet.

Green is going to do all the jack of all trades, master of none routine and be a key cog.

Zeller add an element we didn't have last year. Creative offense, finesse at the 5 and should have his best season yet. He'll up his D somewhat.

KO and Sully are on the rise, with scoring punch on the inside and outside.

Thornton will be a solid 4th quarter weapon that Stevens uses to end droughts . .. and ideally will be showcased for a Feb trade.

Anthony and Fav can add something at the 5, no doubt.

Smaht will become Rondo's first legitimate back up, ever. Tough as nails. Newest member of the pit bull family.

Bass & Wallace will hopefully be dealt but will provide middling veteran help and steadiness.

All things considered, it could be a 30 win team and it could be a 43 win team. I like our guys . .. we just need a couple more tweaks.

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2014, 11:53:29 AM »

• Ray Allen
unless we trade Rondo for rooks and picks, we're going to try to win as many games as possible. it makes sense to get the winning tradition back. it'll make Rondo and others happy and make Boston more attractive to a potential FA next summer.

Rondo's fully back - - in the prime of his prime -- zero excuses for not being an All-Star and game changer

Bradley should be over his injury woes. Flush with a new contract, at 23, ready to have his best season yet.

Green is going to do all the jack of all trades, master of none routine and be a key cog.

Zeller add an element we didn't have last year. Creative offense, finesse at the 5 and should have his best season yet. He'll up his D somewhat.

KO and Sully are on the rise, with scoring punch on the inside and outside.

Thornton will be a solid 4th quarter weapon that Stevens uses to end droughts . .. and ideally will be showcased for a Feb trade.

Anthony and Fav can add something at the 5, no doubt.

Smaht will become Rondo's first legitimate back up, ever. Tough as nails. Newest member of the pit bull family.

Bass & Wallace will hopefully be dealt but will provide middling veteran help and steadiness.

All things considered, it could be a 30 win team and it could be a 43 win team. I like our guys . .. we just need a couple more tweaks.

I know Bass does not put up huge numbers, but I think you are underestimating his contribution. He's a lot more than a middling veteran. But we both agree he should be dealt

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2014, 11:56:18 AM »

• Ray Allen
Does it matter for anything? I mean, next years draft looks bad. real bad.

But for prediction sake I say we get the 11th and 24th picks (Clippers).
There are some very good prospects in next years draft. Especially centers. Look for yourself.