Author Topic: Sheridan's Credibility  (Read 7071 times)

Sheridan's Credibility
« on: July 10, 2014, 11:47:46 PM »

Offline number17

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
I apologize if this has been discussed at length, but is there a reason why Chris Sheridan's report on Lebron to Cleveland is so readily being ignored? Has he been inaccurate often in the past? My recollection of him is that he was a fairly reputable reporter at ESPN for quite some time.
"I don't believe in living in the past; I think the past is for cowards...you live in the past, you die in the past."
-Mike Ditka

Re: Sheridan's Credibility
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 11:52:01 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Well he doesn't work for any of the major publications and I think the general belief is that he's just making an educated guess to get a "scoop" that will drive traffic to his blog.

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 12:10:38 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Well he doesn't work for any of the major publications and I think the general belief is that he's just making an educated guess to get a "scoop" that will drive traffic to his blog.

I wonder why he no longer works for ESPN, because he was one of their top NBA guys for quite awhile.  The same goes for Ric Bucher.  All of a sudden the guy just leaves and vanishes from every major network devoted to the sport.  I'm neither for nor against them, I was just curious.  Ah well, people leave their jobs for any of a myriad of reasons.  Rachel Nichols bolted for CNN, which is fine by me because her voice was just so exaggeratedly annoying, kind of like the female version of Jeremy Schaap, voice-wise, if that makes any sense. 

The most important detail here is why anyone would jump ship for the opportunity to work for CNN, haha ;D

It was kind of funny how Sheridan's report was pretty much ignored, though, especially when you consider that the 'most trusted names' in this field are the journalistic juggernaut that is Chris Broussard ::) and Cartman's body double, Brian Windhorst ;D
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 12:33:28 AM by Beat LA »

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 12:22:24 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

I wonder why he no longer works for ESPN, because he was one of their top NBA guys for quite awhile.  The same goes for Ric Bucher.  All of a sudden the guy just leaves and vanishes from every major network devoted to the sport.  I'm neither for nor against them, I was just curious.  Ah well, people leave their jobs for any of a myriad of reasons.  Rachel Nichols bolted for CNN, which is fine by me because her voice was just so exaggeratedly annoying, kind of like the female version of Jeremy Schaap, voice-wise, if that makes any sense. 

The most important detail here is why anyone would jump ship for the opportunity to work for CNN, haha ;D

It was kind of funny how Sheridan's report was pretty much ignored, though, especially when you consider that the 'most trusted man' in this field is the journalistic juggernaut that is Chris Broussard ::)

Bucher at least works for Bleacher Report which is a legit organization with money at this point since they got bought up.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 12:27:04 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Got me all worked up for nothing.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 12:35:06 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

It was kind of funny how Sheridan's report was pretty much ignored, though, especially when you consider that the 'most trusted man' in this field is the journalistic juggernaut that is Chris Broussard ::)

Bucher at least works for Bleacher Report which is a legit organization with money at this point since they got bought up.

I did not know that, TP.  When did this (bleacher report getting bought) happen?

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 12:43:39 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Didn't Sheridan report cousins to Boston last year? Lol

You never know. Stephen A was in no mans land. Then he calls Lebron and bosh to Miami with wade and voila he's back on espn. Then he blows up on first take.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 02:15:31 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I wonder why he no longer works for ESPN, because he was one of their top NBA guys for quite awhile.

There's some belief out there that ESPN didn't like that Sheridan filed a libel lawsuit (later settled out of court) against Peter Vecsey.  Sheridan took umbrage about Vecsey writing the following in December 2010, about two months before Carmelo Anthony was traded:

No doubt the same fountains of misinformation that frequently play make-believe with ESPN’s Chris Sheridan, whose latest fairy tale had Carmelo Anthony notifying the Nuggets he won’t accept a trade to any team but the Knicks.

While I thoroughly accept the presupposition ‘Melo will want to play in New York until the moment he understands that’s an impossibility unless he opts to become a free agent this summer, Sheridan’s account is such a fake he needs to be called out.

Neither Anthony nor representative Leon Rose has demanded anything of the sort from the Nuggets, or anything at all, for that matter. It never happened!

And that’s not the only part of Sheridan’s yarn that never happened. For months he has claimed the Knicks and Nuggets have discussed various trades, recklessly throwing out the names of Danilo Gallinari, Landry Fields, Wilson Chandler and Anthony Randolph, while pretending Denver may be interested in Eddy Curry’s expiring contract and that New York owns the extraneous wherewithal to acquire a No. 1 pick from a third team to include it in the package.

Sheer nonsense! Every last word!

Here is Sheridan's side of the story:

Several top editors at ESPN knew who my primary source was, and they, too, were displeased with the tone of Mr. Vecsey’s column. But they told me they were on the other side of libel law, they were busy defending themselves against several time-consuming and costly libel suits, and they could not be on both sides of the fence.

Here’s what I wrote to the managing editor of ESPN.com in an e-mail: “As you understand from our conversations, I feel I must protect my reputation as a journalist. I have spent 24 years building it, and if I am to maintain my professional integrity, I must defend myself.”

So I rocked the boat at ESPN, my contract subsequently ended, and I no longer work there.

My guess is that Sheridan has a legitimate source, but his source is in a position where the source could be wrong or Lebron changes his mind so that the source was right that James was strongly inclined towards going back to Cleveland at one point.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 02:43:09 AM »

Offline sinbad

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 56
I believe Sheridan's source is Rich Paul himself. He has everything to gain by stretching this out and have the anticipation build. The source would have to be somebody that Sheridan would risk his reputation for and would be convinced that the intel is good. It would also have to be somebody who has everything to gain by leaking this info. Let's face it anybody who has a horse in this race would not risk angering LeBron...unless LeBron is in on it. Why would Rich Paul choose a second tier reporter like Sheridan as a source? Maybe its because only 50% would believe him and 50% would dismiss him. Let's face it, if it was Woj reporting as fact that LeBron is headed back to Cleveland, everybody would believe him and there would be no drama. I don't think Paul would trust ESPN but an independent reporter who has everything to gain does make sense. Sheridan also goes on to say that the announcement would be made on lebronjames.com. This hints that its not an NBA executive or teammate or coach. I just can't imagine that they would know the details about how lebron would announce it or know when the servers would be updated so that it can handle the traffic. This leads me to believe that its someone from LeBron's inner circle who handles his business and marketing decisions...Rich Paul.

This whole thing is brilliant marketing for LeBron...simply brilliant. Whether you like him or not, everyone is talking about him, ESPN, sports radio...he has stopped NBA free agency for Pete's sake.

Then again, maybe all of this is Sheridan trying to get a piece of the spotlight...so far its worked I guess.

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 02:43:47 AM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
If for some magical reason I ever owned a sports team, I would be feeding Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayliss so many bad leads

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 03:23:37 AM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99

I did not know that, TP.  When did this (bleacher report getting bought) happen?

CNN now owns Bleacher Report
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 04:08:17 AM »

Offline CM0

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24

It was kind of funny how Sheridan's report was pretty much ignored, though, especially when you consider that the 'most trusted names' in this field are the journalistic juggernaut that is Chris Broussard ::) and Cartman's body double, Brian Windhorst ;D

The problem isn't her voice per se, it's her awkward word emphasis. She always seems to emphasize words that deserve/require no emphasis in their particular sentence or context. It comes off as alien and robotic.

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 04:43:01 AM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99

The problem isn't her voice per se, it's her awkward word emphasis. She always seems to emphasize words that deserve/require no emphasis in their particular sentence or context. It comes off as alien and robotic.

Kinda like Quest (CNN). Grating voice, I cannot comprehend his speech at times.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 07:18:36 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33

Actually it's just the opposite.  He's very well connected and respected within the industry.  Does he get everything right?  No, but nobody does, that's why they're rumors.   I still trust Woj and Stein more but that's just me...   

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 07:51:16 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418

Actually it's just the opposite.  He's very well connected and respected within the industry.  Does he get everything right?  No, but nobody does, that's why they're rumors.   I still trust Woj and Stein more but that's just me...

Are you an industry insider?

Not tongue in cheek btw.