Author Topic: Hoping Mike Moser and Dairus Bertans make the Roster  (Read 3925 times)

Re: Hoping Mike Moser and Dairus Bertans make the Roster
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2014, 08:38:00 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Moser seems the best of out of Babb and Johnson.

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2014, 08:48:56 AM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Bertans has shown me more than Moser, Babb or Johnson

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2014, 09:16:16 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Nothing wrong with rooting for longshots, but it seems like every year there's a certain portion of the Celtics fanbase who virtually insist that such-and-such unheard-of player is good enough to play in the NBA and should make the team (Lasme, Christmas, etc.), but not only do these players usually fail to make the Cs, they usually fail to stick anywhere in the NBA, thus proving they weren't very good players. Sure, technically you could find a diamond in the rough, but I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment—these guys are nothing more than warm bodies for summer league and training camp.
i think you are pretty spot on. but to expand a bit more, such speculation is part of what its it fun to be a fan. it is what we do as fans. we never make the actual decisions, so speculation is what we dabble in as a substitute.

next, on a roster with 15 players, realistically only 10 or so players will get any sort of steady playing time. the rest are practice fodder, emergency fill in, D league players, etc. yet, i like how the celtics tend to fill the end of the bench with long-shots.

who cares whether the 14th or 15th guy never turns into an nba player? by definition it is a long shot that doesn't really burden the team.

sure, let ainge load up roster spots 11 through 15 with SL lottery tickets. why not? last year we discovered pressey. he has the POSSIBILITY of being a credible backup pg in the nba...should he ever learn to shoot 3 pters consistently. that is better than most end-of-the-bench guys i think.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2014, 09:49:07 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Yeah, it likely won't happen.  If the C's are going to bring in borderline NBA players to fill roster spots, they're better off sticking with Pressey, Johnson, and Babb, who all already have experience in the system. 

I'd also argue that during a rebuild is the least productive time to develop borderline NBA talents like Bertans and Moser into NBA bench players.  During the Big Three Era we could have rationalized developing one of them into a long term solution as a backup.  However, in a rebuilding situation like we are in now, cap space is king, so even if someone like Moser was to emerge as an effective backup wing, he'd likely walk as a free agent next year, as the C's aren't going to put the cart before the horse and give a backup wing any sort of contract. 

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2014, 12:18:37 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
gary washburn ?@GwashburnGlobe
Mike Moser said he's received an invitation to #celtics training camp

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2014, 12:21:11 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
gary washburn ?@GwashburnGlobe
Mike Moser said he's received an invitation to #celtics training camp
Mike Moser is 6'8, 200 lbs guy who can't play SF, is injury prone, isn't particularly athletic, and will turn 24 this year. I don't think he'll make it out of camp.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2014, 12:33:41 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
Neither guy makes it.  I like Dairis' game but we are stacked at SG now.  Moser, not even close.  When Olynyk or Smart weren't on the floor this summer league team was beyond pathetic.  Iverson could barely get run in SL games.  I don't see anyone on the team making it other than Oly, Smart, and Young.  Pressey will come to camp but won't make it and will probably be traded or released.

I have to give Oly some credit.  His blocking out lets guards get rebounds because without him on the floor the Celtics couldn't get a rebound to save their lives, or at least a possession.  If you get some bigs that will at least keep their guys off the boards, the guards can come in and clean up.  Especially our guards of Rondo, Smart and AB.

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2014, 03:07:47 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Nothing wrong with rooting for longshots, but it seems like every year there's a certain portion of the Celtics fanbase who virtually insist that such-and-such unheard-of player is good enough to play in the NBA and should make the team (Lasme, Christmas, etc.), but not only do these players usually fail to make the Cs, they usually fail to stick anywhere in the NBA, thus proving they weren't very good players. Sure, technically you could find a diamond in the rough, but I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment—these guys are nothing more than warm bodies for summer league and training camp.
i think you are pretty spot on. but to expand a bit more, such speculation is part of what its it fun to be a fan. it is what we do as fans. we never make the actual decisions, so speculation is what we dabble in as a substitute.

next, on a roster with 15 players, realistically only 10 or so players will get any sort of steady playing time. the rest are practice fodder, emergency fill in, D league players, etc. yet, i like how the celtics tend to fill the end of the bench with long-shots.

who cares whether the 14th or 15th guy never turns into an nba player? by definition it is a long shot that doesn't really burden the team.

sure, let ainge load up roster spots 11 through 15 with SL lottery tickets. why not? last year we discovered pressey. he has the POSSIBILITY of being a credible backup pg in the nba...should he ever learn to shoot 3 pters consistently. that is better than most end-of-the-bench guys i think.

Oh yeah, you're right about the enjoyment of speculating as a fan, and I'm not trying to take that away from anyone. It certainly is fun to discover someone decent like Pressey—though I think Pressey is a different case, since he was simply an undrafted player fresh out of college, whereas a lot of these guys have been out of school a few years, played overseas, are like 23, so it's clear they don't have what it takes, or they would've made it already. What I find kinda silly is when some fans start talking like Lasme or Moser or whoever is a Carmelo who simply hasn't been discovered.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2014, 04:06:52 PM »

Offline Kc2135

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 35
Moser seems more NBA ready and unlike Johnson and Babb. He bangs inside and plays hard defense.