Author Topic: Zeller vs Asik - which deal is better?  (Read 5106 times)

Re: Zeller vs Asik - which deal is better?
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2014, 08:23:08 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Zeller is gonna be a Lot better than most think...Asik would be better on a contending team---but Zeller is better for us right now--being more mobile--and a ton Cheaper...Plus, NOT a Free Agent after next season.

I don't know how good Zeller will be, but I agree with the rest of your post.

Zeller is cheap, and we aren't contending this year anyway, so we don't need someone of Asik's caliber. I'm not even sure Asik is really who we want if we were contending. He's just someone who we could have gotten, once upon a time, and as beggars we feel we can't be choosers.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2014, 09:12:41 PM »

Offline e4sym0de

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 12
Defenitly prefering the Zeller deal, even though i think taking on Thorntons contract for 1 year is a downside that has to be considered.

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2014, 09:23:40 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I like the deal that happened over the deal that didn't.  Asik is not walking through that door.

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2014, 09:37:33 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Wanted Asik but real happy with Zeller as i think he can grow and be good in this system.

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2014, 09:49:02 PM »

Offline beklog

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 64
Wanted Asik but real happy with Zeller as i think he can grow and be good in this system.

Same here.... the way we get Zeller out of TPE and how HOU priced Asik...
Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light… I just take pictures…

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2014, 09:54:26 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Asik is overpaid, Zeller isn't.

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2014, 10:01:59 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Zeller is 10-15 pounds of muscle away from being a competent center in this league. He needs the weight to not get pushed around. And if opposing centers get too close to the basket can shoot it over his below avg reach.

He has the kind of wiry body and motor to be similar to a joakim noah. Not as crazy but still energetic, bouncy, transition game monster and overall just all over the place to make an impact.  If zeller cant put on the strength without sacrificing quickness/athleticism ,will still be a decent role player off the bench. Has a deadly 15-17 ft jump shot that is near auto

Zeller can be similar to Noah? Ummmmmmmm.....

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2014, 10:34:06 PM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
I don't think Ainge wanted to commit to Asik as our long-term solution at Center. He is a free-agent at the end of the year, so he'd be in line for a pay-day. With the current market, i think Asik will probably command in the 12-14 million range next summer.

Looking at our trade, we get Zeller who is younger and is on a small-contract for the next two years. He will probably prove to be a back-up center. But that's okay, because we won't be paying him starter money.

Importantly we acquired a first rounder in the deal, while the pelicans gave up a first round pick to get asik. It's a good trade for the pelicans, because they can pair asik with Davis. I think that can work out.

If we can get something for thornton at the deadline that's gravy. I doubt it. But ainge got something for J-Craw, so you never know. I think Thornton is a big candidate to get showcased for a trade at the beggining of the season. Smart and Young will be eased in, so I think there will be minutes available to him, with shots available to take.

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2014, 01:21:51 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Defenitly prefering the Zeller deal, even though i think taking on Thorntons contract for 1 year is a downside that has to be considered.

What downside?  Thorton's contract is a 1 year expiring that can be flipped at the deadline by itself or made part of a larger deal.  Not to mention Thornton is an actual experienced scorer at the SG position.  Right now, today, he's a better scoring/shooting 2-guard than anyone else currently on the roster including AB, Pressey, Smart, Babb, Johnson.

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2014, 01:28:36 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
No brainer... Zeller>Asik.

While Asik is a top 5 rebounding/defensive type of Center, Zeller still has 2-3 years of upside to develop/growth. We also got him with a valuable 8.5 million expiring contract, and a first round pick which may possibly be lottery in 2019... For a TPE... Which GSW hasn't been able to use... Do you know what that tells me? They clearly are out of the Love race, and if LBJ stays put in MIA, Saunders has no choice but to at least listen to the Celtics offers.

And that Ainge is clearly one of the best GM's in the league still... Not to mention Zeller has a nifty mid range jumper which he can hit... give him space, and hes going to hit it. That will set up nicely for any pick and rolls for Rondo in the future.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2014, 01:46:20 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
The Zeller plus a future first is much better for this team. Zeller is a prospect at a rookie contract and fills the center need ala asik, but we net a first and an expiring for basically nothing!