Author Topic: Zeller vs Asik - which deal is better?  (Read 5102 times)

Zeller vs Asik - which deal is better?
« on: July 10, 2014, 05:28:25 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Considering the deals, which one would you have done?

Asik (true rim protector) or Zeller (average center)?

Remember the first round picks...Asik's deal - you give one up.  Zeller's deal - you get one.

Remember their age too...Asik is 28 and Zeller is 24.

And finally the money...Asik is through next year for $15 million
http://www.spotrac.com/nba/houston-rockets/omer-asik/

Zeller looks like it's through 2016-17??
http://www.spotrac.com/nba/boston-celtics/tyler-zeller/

Knowing the cost, which way would you have gone?

Re: Zeller vs Asik - which deal is better?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 05:33:21 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Zeller. Younger, Cheaper. Better offensive player. Decent Defender.

Problem with Zeller is he was stuck behind guys in Cleveland and never got any room to grow. I'm really looking forward to seeing what he can do.

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 05:33:48 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Considering the deals, which one would you have done?

Asik (true rim protector) or Zeller (average center)?

Remember the first round picks...Asik's deal - you give one up.  Zeller's deal - you get one.

Remember their age too...Asik is 28 and Zeller is 24.

And finally the money...Asik is through next year for $15 million
http://www.spotrac.com/nba/houston-rockets/omer-asik/

Zeller looks like it's through 2016-17??
http://www.spotrac.com/nba/boston-celtics/tyler-zeller/

Knowing the cost, which way would you have gone?

at the price of $15 million, i better be getting a 2-way player... from what i've seen, omer is good (not great) on defense, and below average on Offense.
not to mention, a freethrow liability.. I'll take the cheap young guy and save my big bucks for a definite allstar free agent. 
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 05:40:01 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Asik, no question.  He is simply the better player.  Moreover, Zeller may turn out to be nothing at all.  And while Asik's contract is big, he also is expiring.  So there is flexibility. 

Bottom line is that you take good players when you can get them.  I know people like to take flyers on youth and potential but most guys turn into a puff of smoke and disappear.

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 05:52:49 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Zeller is gonna be a Lot better than most think...Asik would be better on a contending team---but Zeller is better for us right now--being more mobile--and a ton Cheaper...Plus, NOT a Free Agent after next season.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 05:54:52 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Zeller. Younger, Cheaper. Better offensive player. Decent Defender.

Problem with Zeller is he was stuck behind guys in Cleveland and never got any room to grow. I'm really looking forward to seeing what he can do.

Zeller also had that Appendectomy...which set him back quite a bit....Let him start---he's gonna be perfect for this team.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 05:56:06 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Asik if the Celtics added a star to contend now. 

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 05:57:59 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
One trade was a win-now move. One trade a collect assets for later. I don't think it is simple for which one is better. Each has different routes forward. Neither is necessarily better than other. Just different.

I prefer the win-now trade (Asik) because I think this team would be pretty good with Asik next season. A 45 win type team. It's a team I'd enjoy watching which is important to me since I didn't enjoy last year and I am not liking how next season is shaping up. I think the team could have acquired Asik at that cost while still maintaining enough assets and flexibility to continue improving to point of title-contention further down the road.

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 06:02:25 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Asik. Definitely Asik

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 06:10:04 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Zeller is 10-15 pounds of muscle away from being a competent center in this league. He needs the weight to not get pushed around. And if opposing centers get too close to the basket can shoot it over his below avg reach.

He has the kind of wiry body and motor to be similar to a joakim noah. Not as crazy but still energetic, bouncy, transition game monster and overall just all over the place to make an impact.  If zeller cant put on the strength without sacrificing quickness/athleticism ,will still be a decent role player off the bench. Has a deadly 15-17 ft jump shot that is near auto

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 06:15:38 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
As Who said I'd prefer to make an Asik type deal so we can be better and try and make moves to get better around Rondo.

But if we can't get Love or more talent to go along with a hypothetical Asik deal then Zeller is the better move. Acquire assets that are cost controlled and build from there.

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 06:51:15 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Asik is the better choice if your goal is to try to make a major acquisition during the summer of 2015.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 07:58:09 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Well, I think we can say goodbye to an Asik type of player :)

Ainge: “I didn’t watch him much his rookie year. He can rebound, he can shoot and he can run. He’s 7-feet tall and I think he fits into how we want to play. Brad wants to have that center position be a runner, and get up the court, and run to the front of the rim. And he fits all the criteria. The competition will be tough for him to get on the court, but he is a good young talent and we’re excited to have him.”

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2014/07/danny_ainge_assesses_games_of.html

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 08:02:18 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
Some of the things stood out for me:

1. Offense - Asik simply does not have any aside from tip-ins;
2. Free Throws - Remember the bulls play-off run where Asik was the reason why they did not advance?
3. Cost - 15 Million is too expensive for a one dimensional player;
4. Speed - Asik is only marginally faster than the other Centers out there;
5. Age - 28 vs 24;
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2014, 08:07:31 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Well, I think we can say goodbye to an Asik type of player :)

Ainge: “I didn’t watch him much his rookie year. He can rebound, he can shoot and he can run. He’s 7-feet tall and I think he fits into how we want to play. Brad wants to have that center position be a runner, and get up the court, and run to the front of the rim. And he fits all the criteria. The competition will be tough for him to get on the court, but he is a good young talent and we’re excited to have him.”

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2014/07/danny_ainge_assesses_games_of.html
Faverani fit that criteria last year...

If we had Love or another star player then definitely Asik.  But we don't and we have no idea when we will be able to get one.  So I wouldn't want Asik right now.  And I have little interest in becoming a 40 win team this season.  I'd rather shoot for stars and fill in the blanks later.