Author Topic: Marcus Smart is a bust at #6  (Read 43458 times)

Re: Marcus Smart is a bust at #6
« Reply #195 on: July 13, 2014, 10:46:10 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Gelato, thanks for the recap on top picks. A good read. It will be entertaining to watch them all this season.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #196 on: July 13, 2014, 01:05:14 PM »

Offline SportsCanuck

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5
Smart is a tall, agile player, who can play PG or SG, which is what the Celts need I think.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 02:19:23 PM by SportsCanuck »

"It doesn't matter who scores the points, it's who can get the ball to the scorer." - Larry Bird

« Reply #197 on: July 13, 2014, 02:17:49 PM »

Offline RIPRED

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
I'm not willing to anoint star/bust status to anyone after a few summer league games. Please see the first and second teams from the 2003 Reebok Pro Summer League (Lebron's rookie season):

2003 All-League First Team: John Salmons MVP (Philly), Kedrick Brown (Boston), Brandon Hunter (Boston), Devin Brown (San Antonio) and Donny Marshall (New Jersey)

2003 All-League Second Team: Marcus Banks (Boston), Juan Dixon (Washington), TJ Ford (Milwaukee), Carlos Boozer (Cleveland) and Brian Scalabrene (New Jersey).

http://www.insidehoops.com/summer-league-boston-2003.shtml

Some interesting names on that list, but no LBJ. I was at a few of these games and it was obvious that Marcus Banks was going to be a star and Kedrick Brown was a stud. Oops. I remember Lebron being dominant, so I'm surprised he wasn't on the list, but even he was impressed with Banks:

James was not the only one making highlight worthy plays. The Celtics rookie point guard, Marcus Banks, along with backcourt mate J.R. Bremer put on a show of their own, winning over the Boston faithful. The two combined for 18 first quarter points, with Banks showing the speed and quickness that made Danny Ainge fall in love with him entering the draft.

Ainge and the Boston crowd were not the only ones impressed with Banks. As it turns out, Banks has a big fan in "King James". James used to stay up late in Ohio as a high school senior just to catch a glimpse of Banks, who played at UNLV. Being out west, UNLV's games are only on after midnight on the east coast.

"I love him, I love him a lot", said James. "He's quick as lightening. The best I can do is try and take a step back and just contest a shot when he goes up. But that's kind of hard for me and he's real quick. I've got a little quickness, but not like him. He had a great game tonight."

So as the game ended it was clear LeBron had proven why he is the next superstar in the NBA, as he ended the night with 25 points, 9 boards and 5 assists. Marcus Banks also showed why the Celtics swapped picks with the Grizzlies in a draft night trade. And best of all for Celtics fans, the C's came away with the victory in what felt like a playoff atmosphere, in front of a jam packed crowd. It was quite a night at the Reebok Pro Summer League.

http://www.nba.com/celtics/summerleague/071503_QuiteANight.html

oops.

« Reply #198 on: July 13, 2014, 02:25:31 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I'm not willing to anoint star/bust status to anyone after a few summer league games. Please see the first and second teams from the 2003 Reebok Pro Summer League (Lebron's rookie season):

2003 All-League First Team: John Salmons MVP (Philly), Kedrick Brown (Boston), Brandon Hunter (Boston), Devin Brown (San Antonio) and Donny Marshall (New Jersey)

2003 All-League Second Team: Marcus Banks (Boston), Juan Dixon (Washington), TJ Ford (Milwaukee), Carlos Boozer (Cleveland) and Brian Scalabrene (New Jersey).

http://www.insidehoops.com/summer-league-boston-2003.shtml

Some interesting names on that list, but no LBJ. I was at a few of these games and it was obvious that Marcus Banks was going to be a star and Kedrick Brown was a stud. Oops. I remember Lebron being dominant, so I'm surprised he wasn't on the list, but even he was impressed with Banks:

James was not the only one making highlight worthy plays. The Celtics rookie point guard, Marcus Banks, along with backcourt mate J.R. Bremer put on a show of their own, winning over the Boston faithful. The two combined for 18 first quarter points, with Banks showing the speed and quickness that made Danny Ainge fall in love with him entering the draft.

Ainge and the Boston crowd were not the only ones impressed with Banks. As it turns out, Banks has a big fan in "King James". James used to stay up late in Ohio as a high school senior just to catch a glimpse of Banks, who played at UNLV. Being out west, UNLV's games are only on after midnight on the east coast.

"I love him, I love him a lot", said James. "He's quick as lightening. The best I can do is try and take a step back and just contest a shot when he goes up. But that's kind of hard for me and he's real quick. I've got a little quickness, but not like him. He had a great game tonight."

So as the game ended it was clear LeBron had proven why he is the next superstar in the NBA, as he ended the night with 25 points, 9 boards and 5 assists. Marcus Banks also showed why the Celtics swapped picks with the Grizzlies in a draft night trade. And best of all for Celtics fans, the C's came away with the victory in what felt like a playoff atmosphere, in front of a jam packed crowd. It was quite a night at the Reebok Pro Summer League.

http://www.nba.com/celtics/summerleague/071503_QuiteANight.html

oops.

With Lebron's love for Marcus Banks, and more recently with Shabazz Napier, Cleveland better hope he never becomes their GM one day. He could be worse than Michael Jordan in that aspect.

« Reply #199 on: July 13, 2014, 02:30:21 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Exum has been the most impressive rookie thus far.  I'm blown away by how easily he moves.  He's all fluid arms and legs.  He glides like Westbrook around the court.  He changes directions and get to top speed in a flash.  If he's willing to take the physical punishment, he'll eventually be able to get to the line 8 or more times a game because of the way he can break down defenses in both the halfcourt and in transition.  Add in his size, his basketball IQ and a stroke that looks solid and he's got legitimate star potential.  Had he gone to college, he might have gone no.1 overall.

That's a big IF though. If he is willing and if he is able to hold up to the physical punishment with his body. Smart on the other hand has the physique to be able to take the poundings players get going to the hoop in the NBA. That's the major advantage he has over Exum imo, and it's an important one.

« Reply #200 on: July 13, 2014, 03:55:09 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Marcus Smart had two very solid years with the Cowboys. OKST was not a super team, Brown, their other top player, got picked #44.

His SL stats were ok. 29%FG. I think he was king of the free throw line at 25/30...83.3% with 10 steals in 5 games.

I like his game as he is a courageous defender.
He takes pride in his defense, which, is a key intangible.
On offense, his body "surrounds the ball." The guy is square on the floor. Good defensive back material.
On defense, he takes the game to his opponent, creating turnovers and disrupting play.

The kid has a will to win and the physical tools to match it.....reminds me of long ago, kid out of U San Francicso. Couldn't shoot very well, but was murder on D. Like Smart got a lot of steals, tremendous handle. 

KC Jones wasn't much of an offensive threat....eight rings and two national championships later, nobody really cared much about the 8 points per game did they?

« Reply #201 on: July 13, 2014, 06:41:35 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Smart is a tall, agile player, who can play PG or SG, which is what the Celts need I think.

I'm giving you a TP just for that awesome gif :)  I've never seen that one before.  Where did you find it?  I don't understand the jordan brand thing, though, haha.

« Reply #202 on: July 13, 2014, 06:57:26 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Before the draft, I could have gone either way with Smart or Exum.  I thought Exum had more offensive potential, Smart more defensive potential and rated their passing ability as similar.  I still think that way but I'd probably lean more towards Exum because he looks like he's going to be really fun to watch.   Not that Smart isn't, his defense is going to fun to watch too.

Exum has been the most impressive rookie thus far.  I'm blown away by how easily he moves.  He's all fluid arms and legs.  He glides like Westbrook around the court.  He changes directions and get to top speed in a flash.  If he's willing to take the physical punishment, he'll eventually be able to get to the line 8 or more times a game because of the way he can break down defenses in both the halfcourt and in transition.  Add in his size, his basketball IQ and a stroke that looks solid and he's got legitimate star potential.  Had he gone to college, he might have gone no.1 overall.

The other top rookies looked as expected, which isn't surprising since there's only been so much time for them to improve their games.  I was a little surprised by how bad Wiggin's handle looked though.  I considered it average and at least serviceable for driving to the hoop but he looked hesitant to dribble against any ball pressure.  In fairness, he did go up against the newly 6'11 Giannis most of the time so that had to be a revelation for him.

Parker looked good in transition and in the post but he really struggled to create any space in the halfcourt.  Defenders were bodying him up and he couldn't break them down at all unless they were slow, stiff bigs.  That's going to be a problem if he can't get quicker.  You can't let defenders body you up to take away your outside shot without making them pay.  He missed all his jumpers from ten feet out pretty badly.  This is where the Carmelo and Pierce comparisons break down.  Parker shot it the first three times he touched the ball and turned it over the fourth time but he settled down and played more unselfishly afterward.

It's going to be a miracle for Gordon to average double digits next season.  It might be a miracle for him to average 6 points.  It's a shame that he appears to have little scoring aptitude because his defense and passing are really good.

Stauskas looked good as well.  Multi-dimensional.

McDermott struggled.  Early on he tried to played like his Creighton days, asking for the ball on post ups early but unlike his Creighton days, the feeds didn't come his way.  I think he got to the rim three times, once on a post up, twice after catching the ball on the move.  He got fouled once and missed badly the other two times, once on a block.  Defenders seemed to have no trouble containing him off the dribble while he struggled to keep his man in front of him.  He gave up a lot of blow-byes.  Things weren't all bad though.  He showed nice passing ability and looked like he could do some damage moving off screens.

« Reply #203 on: July 13, 2014, 06:57:43 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I'm not calling bust yet.

I didn't want to pick him before Randle ......I hope Danny proves me wrong.

I'm .....thinking from what I ve seen so far he is not a total bust .   He'll stay in the NBA .....

But he has a lot of work to prove he ain't a bust at the 6 th pick .

I still hoping for the best any who

« Reply #204 on: July 13, 2014, 07:28:54 PM »

Offline shrinkage36

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21
Watching Dante Exum in his pre-seaon debut.

This kid is going to be special.  A true point guard.

Hood looks good too.

Utah did real well in the draft. Dang that coin flip.
I see what you're saying, but the worst thing anyone can do is judge anything from Summer league, and/or second guess a pick.

We should let this thing play out for a couple of years before we crown anyone, or toss anyone aside.

« Reply #205 on: July 13, 2014, 07:45:47 PM »

Offline RIPRED

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
I'm not calling bust yet.

I didn't want to pick him before Randle ......I hope Danny proves me wrong.

I'm .....thinking from what I ve seen so far he is not a total bust .   He'll stay in the NBA .....

But he has a lot of work to prove he ain't a bust at the 6 th pick .

I still hoping for the best any who

I think you're jumping the gun a little bit. What we've seen in summer league means next to nothing. This is basically a crash-course in the Celtics system for these rookies.

« Reply #206 on: July 14, 2014, 12:50:58 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
McDermott struggled.  Early on he tried to played like his Creighton days, asking for the ball on post ups early but unlike his Creighton days, the feeds didn't come his way.  I think he got to the rim three times, once on a post up, twice after catching the ball on the move.  He got fouled once and missed badly the other two times, once on a block.  Defenders seemed to have no trouble containing him off the dribble while he struggled to keep his man in front of him.  He gave up a lot of blow-byes.  Things weren't all bad though.  He showed nice passing ability and looked like he could do some damage moving off screens.

I am shocked. Shocked, I tell you.

But, of course, Summer League means relatively little.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #207 on: July 14, 2014, 01:24:27 PM »

Offline dysgenic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
Dante Exum is a star in this league.  Needs to improve his handle for sure, but the guy can pass.

« Reply #208 on: July 14, 2014, 01:51:00 PM »

Offline TeamGreen.dm

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9
  • here comes Banner 18
Marcus Smart just reminds me so much Dwayne Wade early in his career. If he develops a consistent mid range jumper and can be on the plus side of 30% from 3 land I see him being a real force in this league.
"I am not going to back down from any challenge. Like I said, you are going to have to prove to me. I am a fighter; I will keep fighting and will never give up." Marcus Smart