Author Topic: Marcus Smart is a bust at #6  (Read 43463 times)

Re: Marcus Smart is a bust at #6
« Reply #180 on: July 13, 2014, 12:23:09 AM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
I haven't watched the game, but I read Exum's stats and they don't look impressive to me. I'm not going to gush over Exum over one Summer league game. I'm going to wait until the NBA season begins.

He looks WAY more impressive than the box score.

Again, this is Summer League people. Temper your excitement, plenty of people looked great in  until they were exposed in the NBA. Not saying Exum will be, but don't be surprised if he doesn't do well.

Nothing to temper, just stating how he looks. We don't know how any of these players will be until they play against "Real" competition.

« Reply #181 on: July 13, 2014, 12:40:27 AM »

Offline NorthernLightning

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • zap
And I thought the topic was how much of a failure Marcus Smart is. Maybe all this praising over Exum is just saying "Smart you suck and you'll never be great look at Exum how come you're not him?!?!?!?!"  ;)

You cracked the code. Misery loves misery.

« Reply #182 on: July 13, 2014, 12:44:46 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Loving how "C's fans" on this forum are drooling over "future all-star" Anthony 8 fouls Bennet and Dante Exum who is currently 3-9 7pts with 3 assist and 2 turnovers in the 4th quarter.

Just curious are these fans the same who started and support a Marcus Smart is a bust thread.  And if so are you actually watching these games?

I actually love Smart. However, that's no reason to not say how good Exum looks and how improved, especially body wise, Bennett is.

I would advise you to look past the box score and watch the players play. Exum was making pass after pass hitting teammates for open looks, but they weren't doing their part. It's his feel for the game that makes him standout. He is also very quick, long, and has an excellent first step which allows him to get to the basket with ease.

« Reply #183 on: July 13, 2014, 12:46:31 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Well see if he pulls is it together.

« Reply #184 on: July 13, 2014, 08:39:15 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Exum highlights yesterday vs Sixers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kod-WZbeYFI#t=47

hyperlink feature isn't working

« Reply #185 on: July 13, 2014, 08:56:27 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Once marcus Smart fixes that tiny, itty bitty, baby dip in his shot .....he will take the 7 kingdoms with defense, smart passes, and great shooting.....instead of fire and blood

« Reply #186 on: July 13, 2014, 09:15:46 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Wow.  His change of pace is ridiculous.  Looks like a taller Iverson.

« Reply #187 on: July 13, 2014, 09:32:37 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Loving how "C's fans" on this forum are drooling over "future all-star" Anthony 8 fouls Bennet and Dante Exum who is currently 3-9 7pts with 3 assist and 2 turnovers in the 4th quarter.

Just curious are these fans the same who started and support a Marcus Smart is a bust thread.  And if so are you actually watching these games?

It's because they fear being called homers.

But like in several professions, while skepticism is good and important to being clear headed, too much skepticism is harmful in many ways.

Also, come on, who cares if some random on the internet judges you.

« Reply #188 on: July 13, 2014, 09:37:13 AM »

fitzhickey

hope Dante gets a lot of time at the point. that first step though  :o

« Reply #189 on: July 13, 2014, 09:46:06 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Cos you used https instead of http.

Here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kod-WZbeYFI#t=47

« Reply #190 on: July 13, 2014, 09:50:42 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Wow.  That kid has some lateral quickness. 

Looking like he can def ball.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #191 on: July 13, 2014, 10:02:11 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

I was the second one (after Eddie)  to point out about Exum last night.  I was too lazy to start a new thread, thought it was not worthy of doing that.  I like Marcus Smart. My point was not to compare him to Smart, just to lament the fact that we lost the coin toss with Utah.   I think Smart is going to be a solid NBA 2 way player.  I hate the heading of this stream of him being a bust.  I completely disagree with that. But that does not mean that we can't admire other players.  Many, many fans on this site (rightfully so) questioned a proper evaluation of Exum based on some video footage and inferior competition. While we still are nowhere near the final verdict on Exum in the NBA, we are starting the first stage, watching him play against other rookies and 2nd years, and if you saw him last night (I could care less what the box score said), you'd probably agree that this kid has the "it" factor.  He is really quick, with a great first step, is extremely unselfish, has great court awareness, and a really nice handle.  He just seems to fit right in like he'd been playing with Utah for several years.  Not to mention a couple of really athletic plays, including  a strip and dunk early in the 2nd half, and his first bucket, an alley oop slam.  Welcome to the NBA, kid.

« Reply #192 on: July 13, 2014, 10:07:38 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

I was the first one to point out about Exum last night.  I was too lazy to start a new thread, thought it was not worthy of doing that.  I like Marcus Smart. My point was not to compare him to Smart, just to lament the fact that we lost the coin toss with Utah.   I think Smart is going to be a solid NBA 2 way player.  I hate the heading of this stream of him being a bust.  I completely disagree with that. But that does not mean that we can't admire other players.  Many, many fans on this site (rightfully so) questioned a proper evaluation of Exum based on some video footage and inferior competition. While we still are nowhere near the final verdict on Exum in the NBA, we are starting the first stage, watching him play against other rookies and 2nd years, and if you saw him last night (I could care less what the box score said), you'd probably agree that this kid has the "it" factor.  He is really quick, with a great first step, is extremely unselfish, has great court awareness, and a really nice handle.  He just seems to fit right in like he'd been playing with Utah for several years.  Not to mention a couple of really athletic plays, including  a strip and dunk early in the 2nd half, and his first bucket, an alley oop slam.  Welcome to the NBA, kid.

My impression of Exum is that while he's got a lightning quick first step and a nasty crossover, he still doesn't have tight enough handles to be a starting NBA point guard.  He dribbles too high and seems to get out of control with the dribble too often.

To me he looks more like a less athletic Andrew Wiggins than like the next Penny Hardaway.  I see him more as a multi-position utility player than as a full-time NBA lead guard. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #193 on: July 13, 2014, 10:29:05 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I am looking foward to watching many years of smart and exum playing against one another. That should be fun to watch. In a video that showed them playing against one another, smart came out on top. But it was only one game and a few minutes.

Both are very talented players, but with different strengths. Watching how they match up will be fun.

Oh, and because of the thread title....both will be busts of course.  :)

I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #194 on: July 13, 2014, 10:35:44 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
Before the draft, I could have gone either way with Smart or Exum.  I thought Exum had more offensive potential, Smart more defensive potential and rated their passing ability as similar.  I still think that way but I'd probably lean more towards Exum because he looks like he's going to be really fun to watch.   Not that Smart isn't, his defense is going to fun to watch too.

Exum has been the most impressive rookie thus far.  I'm blown away by how easily he moves.  He's all fluid arms and legs.  He glides like Westbrook around the court.  He changes directions and get to top speed in a flash.  If he's willing to take the physical punishment, he'll eventually be able to get to the line 8 or more times a game because of the way he can break down defenses in both the halfcourt and in transition.  Add in his size, his basketball IQ and a stroke that looks solid and he's got legitimate star potential.  Had he gone to college, he might have gone no.1 overall.

The other top rookies looked as expected, which isn't surprising since there's only been so much time for them to improve their games.  I was a little surprised by how bad Wiggin's handle looked though.  I considered it average and at least serviceable for driving to the hoop but he looked hesitant to dribble against any ball pressure.  In fairness, he did go up against the newly 6'11 Giannis most of the time so that had to be a revelation for him.

Parker looked good in transition and in the post but he really struggled to create any space in the halfcourt.  Defenders were bodying him up and he couldn't break them down at all unless they were slow, stiff bigs.  That's going to be a problem if he can't get quicker.  You can't let defenders body you up to take away your outside shot without making them pay.  He missed all his jumpers from ten feet out pretty badly.  This is where the Carmelo and Pierce comparisons break down.  Parker shot it the first three times he touched the ball and turned it over the fourth time but he settled down and played more unselfishly afterward.

It's going to be a miracle for Gordon to average double digits next season.  It might be a miracle for him to average 6 points.  It's a shame that he appears to have little scoring aptitude because his defense and passing are really good.

Stauskas looked good as well.  Multi-dimensional.

McDermott struggled.  Early on he tried to played like his Creighton days, asking for the ball on post ups early but unlike his Creighton days, the feeds didn't come his way.  I think he got to the rim three times, once on a post up, twice after catching the ball on the move.  He got fouled once and missed badly the other two times, once on a block.  Defenders seemed to have no trouble containing him off the dribble while he struggled to keep his man in front of him.  He gave up a lot of blow-byes.  Things weren't all bad though.  He showed nice passing ability and looked like he could do some damage moving off screens.