Author Topic: Marcus Smart is a bust at #6  (Read 43460 times)

Re: Marcus Smart is a bust at #6
« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2014, 10:46:59 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Tim Duncan had a horrible summer league...they should have traded him bc summer league is all that matters.

actually are there stats for the summer league games for the past...I would love to see LeBron's, Duncan's, KG's

« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2014, 10:48:18 PM »

Offline lurkerStrips

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
Patience you must have my young padawan ;)  I've missed all of the games so far, so for everyone who has gotten to see Smart play, answer me this - if he were to take midrange shots instead of threes, which he struggled with in college, do you think that his numbers would be much better?  Is it the range, perhaps?  I don't know, I'm just throwing out ideas here.  Some guys are better from midrange than they are from downtown, and that's fine, imho, because I like players with that old school game, so if Smart was to accept his limitations in said department (for now) and focus on the shots that he can make, would we be having this overreaction haha?  His form doesn't look that bad, imo, and look at guys who arent't three point shooters who are stars at the pg and sg positions - Rajon Rondo, Derrick Rose, Russell Westbrook, Dwyane Wade (even though I hate to admit it), Lance Stephenson, John Wall, and Tony Parker.  I also find it interesting how the players who people say 'can't shoot' often end up being great midrange shooters.  Just because you're not a great three point shooter doesn't mean that you can't shoot.  It just means that you're not there yet, as a player.

i was kind of hoping you would say everything in yoda-speak LoL i agree that smart will do fine. kid's got a nice stroke on his jumper. not worried about that at all.

i find it odd that the op hasn't responded to any of the comments on this thread though...

« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2014, 10:50:59 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
Not trying to sound flippant, but Smart makes the smartest plays on the court (with the exception of his shot selection).  He has outstanding court vision finding open players with incredible consistency.   He possesses the ability to toss the ball with pinpoint accuracy and with  graceful strength.  When he has the ball he throws the defense off course for he doesn't reveal what he's going to do until he sizes up the situation.  His teammates are going to love playing  with him and opposing coaches and players are going to hate him. 

And, as alluded to in today's broadcast, he irritates(intimidates)  players with his strength and hard-nosed defense.  He was definitely getting under the skin of the Orlando guards in the 4th quarter totally throwing off their game.

Is he going to be a bust at #6 ?....No way!  He has already won me over.  I think we have a winner on our hands. 

Yes, I realize some of us will get frustrated with his shot this year, but I feel he's going to be a spark plug with his play-making ability and defense.  He's going to be fun to watch!   

« Reply #93 on: July 10, 2014, 11:18:30 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I think the fact that his biggest weakness is shooting, which looks like it could get better, is pretty nice.

I'm getting a little sick of people saying that he was suppose to be NBA ready, when they were actually saying his BODY was NBA ready and his Defense as well. And it's true.

He's gotten better in every game so far. Tonights was really good. He went on a good stretch at the end that really lifted them past the Magic. Isn't that what we want in the end? Who cares if he didn't shoot well from 3, we won, the end.

Has anyone notice how many defections he gets? And a lot of them coming from the guy he's guarding!

« Reply #94 on: July 10, 2014, 11:34:58 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
If the op is serious, just be patient man!

Smart's shooting and shot selection will get better. Especially when he plays ona real team with a real offense that practices that offense. Literally every other aspect of his game look solid to very good right now.

« Reply #95 on: July 10, 2014, 11:41:10 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Smart's shooting and shot selection will get better. Especially when he plays ona real team with a real offense that practices that offense. Literally every other aspect of his game look solid to very good right now.

We have a 'real offense?'  When did this happen (haha)?

« Reply #96 on: July 10, 2014, 11:48:24 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418

We have a 'real offense?'  When did this happen (haha)?

Good point. Tp

« Reply #97 on: July 10, 2014, 11:52:58 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Patience you must have my young padawan ;)  I've missed all of the games so far, so for everyone who has gotten to see Smart play, answer me this - if he were to take midrange shots instead of threes, which he struggled with in college, do you think that his numbers would be much better?  Is it the range, perhaps?  I don't know, I'm just throwing out ideas here.  Some guys are better from midrange than they are from downtown, and that's fine, imho, because I like players with that old school game, so if Smart was to accept his limitations in said department (for now) and focus on the shots that he can make, would we be having this overreaction haha?  His form doesn't look that bad, imo, and look at guys who arent't three point shooters who are stars at the pg and sg positions - Rajon Rondo, Derrick Rose, Russell Westbrook, Dwyane Wade (even though I hate to admit it), Lance Stephenson, John Wall, and Tony Parker.  I also find it interesting how the players who people say 'can't shoot' often end up being great midrange shooters.  Just because you're not a great three point shooter doesn't mean that you can't shoot.  It just means that you're not there yet, as a player.

i was kind of hoping you would say everything in yoda-speak LoL i agree that smart will do fine. kid's got a nice stroke on his jumper. not worried about that at all.

i find it odd that the op hasn't responded to any of the comments on this thread though...

Well, I do like Star Wars, but I'm afraid that I'm the wrong person to ask if you're looking for an aficionado of the series, haha.  Plus, -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk6Mjg3_eq0&feature=kp

::)

« Reply #98 on: July 11, 2014, 12:45:44 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
this overreaction to a couple of summer league performances is so vintage celticsblog

Lol TP. Celticsblog equals pessimism.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #99 on: July 11, 2014, 01:28:16 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
LOL, 1 bad summer league game and guys want to jump off bridges.  Well have fun with that!  And what do you know, the very next game, Smart pulls off a gritty game and leads the Celtics to a 2 pt victory while stuffing the stat sheet.

Just a reminder, he's a rookie and he's only 20!  Don't worry, he hasn't reached his ceiling yet. 

If Celts fans are feeling bad about how Smart looks, how about Aaron Gordon and his 6.6 ppg on 31% shooting from the field?  Should the Magic fans start jumping off rooftops or MAYBE, just maybe, they should hold onto a sliver of hope because 1) dude is a rookie and 2) it's summer league?

Update - Orlando Game.  Smart's clutch performance powers Celtics to victory over host Magic.
http://www.nba.com/magic/summer-league-recap-celtics-76-magic-67

Hmmm, what he's not a bust after all?  Awww, but it was so much fun complaining right, how dare he ruin your fun!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 01:35:25 AM by vjcsmoke »

« Reply #100 on: July 11, 2014, 03:29:12 AM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
this overreaction to a couple of summer league performances is so vintage celticsblog

Let's also not forget to include "Trade Rondo"; Smart had a bad game - trade rondo; Smart had a good game - trade rondo; pressey did not shoot well - trade rondo; ad infinitum;
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #101 on: July 11, 2014, 07:11:16 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Let's also not forget to include "Trade Rondo"; Smart had a bad game - trade rondo; Smart had a good game - trade rondo; pressey did not shoot well - trade rondo; ad infinitum;
Smart played well- keep Bogans ;)

« Reply #102 on: July 11, 2014, 07:36:26 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Celtic Blog = Knee Jerk reaction for 80% of the members on everything.

« Reply #103 on: July 11, 2014, 08:15:31 AM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29
He would easily be avg. 10 assist per game in this summer league if his teammates were hitting the easy looks smart has gotten them via drive and dish.

« Reply #104 on: July 11, 2014, 08:36:14 AM »

fitzhickey

Can't remember a rookie being lambasted after Summer League games. Seems way too early to judge