Author Topic: Marcus Smart is a bust at #6  (Read 43454 times)

Re: Marcus Smart is a bust at #6
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2014, 05:12:31 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
talk about overreacting to 3 summer league games

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2014, 05:14:45 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Tied for 1st in the SL in steals per game (tied with Olynyk and Pressey) and 6th in league in assists. 4.3 rebounds per for a PG is not a bad stat either. Sure he isn't shooting as well as we'd like him to, but to call him a bust after 3 summer league games is as big as an overreaction as there is. He will always be a scorer vs a pure shooter, but you'll see improvement. Give the kid some time.

He also is shooting 25% not 20%, so if you are going to rip him get your stats right.

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2014, 05:15:22 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I was hoping this post was sarcasm making fun of previous overreactions to summer league results (both positive and negative).  I guess not. 

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2014, 05:15:58 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I'll reserve judgment, but I will appreciate your comments/opinions. I don't know why people are so negative towards what you wrote. There is a chance Smart could be a bust. I do agree Smart may not ever be anywhere near D. Wade Lite 2.0 at all. But I'm at least hoping that he proves me otherwise.

I want to at least wait 3-4 years.

The rookie of the year last year was a bust if we judge it after summer league.  That's the point: it doesn't mean jack.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2014, 05:18:22 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
James Young is clearly a bust. He can't even get on the floor in the Summer League!

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2014, 05:19:37 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
His first two seasons in the NBA, Lance Stephenson averaged 3.1 pts on 33% shooting and 2.5 pts on 38% shooting.  Now, he's turning down 8 million dollar a year contract offers.

Mike

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2014, 05:23:04 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I remember Caldwell-Pope stinking it up last year, and for most of the season. Now look at him. He's completely killing it.

Smarts playing good D. He's made some really nice passes.

He's having a hard time getting to the rim because the paints been really crowded. They are also playing with guys who are all out for them selves. So it makes it hard to get into any kind of rhythm.

His shooting was a bit better in the 3rd game. Finally hit some 3's. But he's still a bit off.  But this is his career now. He can use the summer just to work on his game.

Everything but his scoring has been pretty good. Some times over playing on D, but thats to be expected at this point, were he's trying to make an impression on the coach's.

We'll see in a couple days if DA missed on Exum or Randle, but I'll still be okay with the pick until next season if he hasn't gotten any better. I'm not jumping ship over 3 SL games.

« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2014, 05:23:39 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I'll reserve judgment, but I will appreciate your comments/opinions. I don't know why people are so negative towards what you wrote. There is a chance Smart could be a bust. I do agree Smart may not ever be anywhere near D. Wade Lite 2.0 at all. But I'm at least hoping that he proves me otherwise.

The rookie of the year last year was a bust if we judge it after summer league.  That's the point: it doesn't mean jack.

I get that, it could go both ways. People shouldn't be saying negative things about what OP has stated, as hes just sharing his opinion.

He isn't trolling or doing it on purpose.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2014, 05:26:34 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
How can I take a TP again?
Diggles

« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2014, 05:32:53 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

I get that, it could go both ways. People shouldn't be saying negative things about what OP has stated, as hes just sharing his opinion.

I don't claim he is, but I can still roll my eyes because it is at the least, very dramatic.

We are watching glorified pick up (a scrimmage at best) and fully judging new players?  It's just silly.

Marcus Banks would be in the Garden rafters.

« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2014, 05:35:56 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
This draft was supposed to be deep and full of potential all stars.   

Marcus Smart was supposed to be NBA ready and he definitely has personality traits of a winner.   But at #6 in this draft you expect a guy to show more.   I think he has shown far less than KO, Sully, Tony Allen, D west, Rondo, Gomes etc.   He may be the worst first round pick summer league performer of Ainge era.  He is looking worse than Phil Pressey did last year and he was undrafted in a terribly weak draft.

20% shooting is just horrible.  It is easily the worst of any first round picks in Orlando.  What is worse is that he is not only a terrible 3 point shooter and a terrible pull up shooter.   His percentages on drives to basket is god awful.

Rondo can't shoot but he can get to rim at will and overall has a 50% FG% because he gets layups.  Rose and Westbrook - less playmakers than scorers - are terrible outside shooters but like Rondo that can get to rim at will and unlike Rondo have a second gear that lets them finish over bigs.  Smart does neither at this point.   And he is playing against teams that actually have no rim protecting bigs and no legit NBA guards to stop him.

He may go down as the worst pick of the draft if this keeps up.

knee jerk reaction much????
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2014, 05:41:46 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

I don't claim he is, but I can still roll my eyes because it is at the least, very dramatic.

We are watching glorified pick up (a scrimmage at best) and fully judging new players?  It's just silly.

Marcus Banks would be in the Garden rafters.

It is a little dramatic, I still think Smart needs to stop taking those 3's. But we'll see. I like the defensive end of Smart, his ability to anticipate passes is so amazing, and Wade-like.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2014, 05:46:00 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
I Hated the pick the night of the Draft...but, I'll give him a chance---Summer League is a poor barometer of a guy's NBA potential...His shooting looks horrific right now---but his passing looks better than I expected.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2014, 05:46:52 PM »

Offline MSceltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 23
This guy probably called Sam Bowie and Greg Oden busts from the get go, knew Kobe should have been drafted higher, and called Manu Ginobli the biggest steal all on their respective draft nights

« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2014, 05:47:40 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

It is a little dramatic, I still think Smart needs to stop taking those 3's. But we'll see. I like the defensive end of Smart, his ability to anticipate passes is so amazing, and Wade-like.

Trust me I'm with you (didn't expect him to be a good shooter, but thought he could realize he wasn't at the same time).

Anyways, I'm hopeful with Rondo out there and Stevens at the helm and all those other players, he wises up and is held accountable.  And otherwise he seems to be a smart player so I hope he realizes he should tone down the threes, especially pull ups.

But I agree on his defense, part of why I'm high on him.  He only really gambles into passing lanes but reads them very well.  And otherwise he doesn't even gamble and still gets steals.  I really like what I've seen so far.