Author Topic: Long Jackie Mac article about Smart  (Read 3163 times)

Re: Long Jackie Mac article about Smart
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 04:44:53 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
thanks for the good article. tp.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 04:45:28 PM »

Offline NorthernLightning

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • zap
"I?ll never forget it,?? Smart said. "They told me, ?Todd is gone, Mom is sick, Dad is sick, and you are all we've got.? My older brother Jeff told me, ?I had my chance, Mikey had his chance, and we blew it. Now it?s your chance. We?re depending on you.???

Marcus nodded, but he was only 10 years old. He was too young to understand, a little boy who was angry his brother was taken from him.

Well-meaning family friends tried to console him by reminding him he was tough, just like his mom, just like Todd, but the toughness Marcus embraced was misguided.

He broke windows and pelted rocks at strangers. Marcus had good aim; he nailed a guy on a bike, only it was a gang member who left Smart running for his life, bullets whizzing past his ear.

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 04:46:32 PM »

Offline NorthernLightning

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • zap
The kid shoved Smart. "The first thing that came to mind,?? Marcus said, "was, 'Retaliate.'??

He flipped the boy to the ground and heard the thunk of his skull striking the concrete. Smart repeatedly slammed the boy?s head into the pavement before a teacher pulled him off.

"The kid wound up in the hospital,?? Smart said. "If that teacher hadn't come, I probably would have killed him.??

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 05:14:46 PM »

Offline Bombastic Jones

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 53
Great article. I loved this;

When Marcus High played Duncanville, coach Danny Henderson was looking for volunteers to guard 6- foot-11 McDonald?s All American forward Perry Jones. Smart, who stood a shade over 6-foot-1, declared, "I?ll take him.?? He outscored Jones 18-12 and outrebounded him 17-6.

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 05:25:08 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Nice article. Jackie is the best.

Smart is going to be intersting to watch this year. I love watching a player play with fire in their game.

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 05:51:15 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The kid shoved Smart. "The first thing that came to mind,?? Marcus said, "was, 'Retaliate.'??

He flipped the boy to the ground and heard the thunk of his skull striking the concrete. Smart repeatedly slammed the boy?s head into the pavement before a teacher pulled him off.

"The kid wound up in the hospital,?? Smart said. "If that teacher hadn't come, I probably would have killed him.??

So, you're saying he has the killer instinct that people wish Jeff Green had?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 06:18:15 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
If he's actually as intense as that he'll have Jeff Green crying in a corner p---ing himself by November.

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 06:28:48 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
If he's actually as intense as that he'll have Jeff Green crying in a corner p---ing himself by November.

LOL.

I doubt it, though.

We can say what we want about Marcus Smart and Jeff Green's intensity, but let's not forget that JG has already seen his "own" share of trials....he is tough in his own way.

I think the two will complement each other BEAUTIFULLY....Fire and Ice.

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 06:40:04 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

LOL.

I doubt it, though.

We can say what we want about Marcus Smart and Jeff Green's intensity, but let's not forget that JG has already seen his "own" share of trials....he is tough in his own way.

But if Green and that kid go up to get a rebound the kid on the left is coming down with it. You don't even have to pay him 9mill

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 06:52:37 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

LOL.

I doubt it, though.

But if Green and that kid go up to get a rebound the kid on the left is coming down with it. You don't even have to pay him 9mill

;D

That's rich...the kid is a little trooper, huh.

But I'm sure Marcus won't come in alienating his teammates like that.

Regardless of his upbringing, he'll realize that others have their own crosses to carry, too.

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 09:13:50 PM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
Loved this quote. I remember Jones was suppose to be a top 10 pick but fell. I can't see Smart failing in this league. I take the summer league with a grain of salt. He'll be fine come the regular season.

"All-American forward Perry Jones. Smart, who stood a shade over 6-1, declared, "I?ll take him." He outscored Jones 18-12 and outrebounded him 17-6."

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 09:44:57 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Is that your best shot? I'm disappointed. Nothing about Green smiting kittens?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 09:45:59 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
"I?ll never forget it,?? Smart said. "They told me, ?Todd is gone, Mom is sick, Dad is sick, and you are all we've got.? My older brother Jeff told me, ?I had my chance, Mikey had his chance, and we blew it. Now it?s your chance. We?re depending on you.???

Marcus nodded, but he was only 10 years old. He was too young to understand, a little boy who was angry his brother was taken from him.

Well-meaning family friends tried to console him by reminding him he was tough, just like his mom, just like Todd, but the toughness Marcus embraced was misguided.

He broke windows and pelted rocks at strangers. Marcus had good aim; he nailed a guy on a bike, only it was a gang member who left Smart running for his life, bullets whizzing past his ear.

So I guess shooting free throws in the last minute of a game won't worry him too much.