Author Topic: Who is the next to be traded/waived?  (Read 5124 times)

Re: Who is the next to be traded/waived?
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2014, 03:26:11 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
The team currently has 15 players under contract, so technically all of the unguaranteed contracts can stay. Anyway, Pressey will probably be the last of these to be waived -- not because he's played particularly well, but because Johnson and Babb are both worse and more redundant.

I can, however, easily see a scenario where they waive all three of them if they can bring Bayless, Humphries, and Iverson in for a reasonable price.

I don't expect anyone else to get moved. No, not even Bass, and definitely not Green.

They're currently at 17 players under contract, so two need to go before the start of the season. They're also at $78.3 million as it is, approximately $1.5 million over the luxury tax threshold, so there's no way Bayless or Humphries walk through that door unless someone else goes out of it first. Though if we're being honest, I'd be shocked to see either of them back. Nothing to do with them as players - both were terrific, serviceable, and fun to watch. I'm actually a huge fan of the hump, but he just takes minutes away from Sully and Zeller and KO and is too expensive, even at something like $5 mil. And Bayless, well, there's a log jam at guard haha
Nope, they aren't.

Rondo, Wallace, Green, Thornton, Bass, Anthony, Bradley, Smart, Faverani, Olynyk, Zeller, Sullinger, Young, Babb, Johnson = 15.

Also, the total payroll is $69 million only. Perhaps a little more, since Bradley's contract is going to start a couple of million above his qualifying offer.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2014, 04:33:44 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Rondo, Wallace, Green, Thornton, Bass, Anthony, Bradley, Smart, Faverani, Olynyk, Zeller, Sullinger, Young, Babb, Johnson = 15.

You missed Bogans and Pressey.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2014, 04:21:35 AM »

Offline Celtsfan92

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 11

Thank you!

And let's do the math:

1. Rondo makes $12.9 next season
2. Gerald Wallace makes $10.1 ($23 total)
3. Jeff Green makes $9.2 ($32.2 total)
4. Marcus Thornton is at $8.6 ($40.8)
5. Bradley will make $8 ($48.8)
6. Bass makes $6.9 ($55.7)
7. Bogans is at $5.2 ($60.9, and we're officially over last season's cap with half the roster)
8. Joel Anthony $3.8 ($64.7)
9. Marcus Smart should be $2.64 based on last year's rookie salary scale, though that number will rise.
10. James Young is $1.35 based on same scale. Combined, that's $3.99, though that number will rise. For the sake of this argument, lets call their combined salaries $4 mil, bringing us to: ($68.7 total)
11. Vitor - 2.09 ($71.6)
12. KO - 2.07 ($74.3)
13. Zeller - $1.7 ($76)
14. Sully - $1.4 ($ 77.4)
15. Johnson - $915,243
16. Pressey - $816,482
17. Babb - $816,482 (combining these three guys being you to $2.55, meaning...

We're at a GRAND TOTAL of:

17 players under contract for approximately $79.9 million.

For those still keeping score at home, that's roughly $13.7 million over the salary cap and $3.1 million over the new luxury tax threshold.

This is a team that won't make the playoffs as is. There's NO way they pay any luxury tax, nor will they allow the team to suffer from the future (and current) holds and restrictions going over the tax puts on your financial flexibility and ability to make moves (based on the rules) for this team. Two guys have to get cut, and at least $3.2 million to get under.

SO...who do we think is moving, getting cut, and when? :)

Don't forget that Mike Moser just out up a hell of a two weeks with the team. And he's probably behind Colton Iverson in terms of who makes it first.

I think Babb gets cut first. I didn't expect a trade for Bogans so soon because that's a valuable contract in terms of size to mix and match in other future deals, but he'll likely get moved to a team with cap room. He could get waived entirely, but that's a waste and unlike Danny.

That's my guess on next two to go though.

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2014, 06:54:25 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

Thank you!

And let's do the math:

1. Rondo makes $12.9 next season
2. Gerald Wallace makes $10.1 ($23 total)
3. Jeff Green makes $9.2 ($32.2 total)
4. Marcus Thornton is at $8.6 ($40.8)
5. Bradley will make $8 ($48.8)
6. Bass makes $6.9 ($55.7)
7. Bogans is at $5.2 ($60.9, and we're officially over last season's cap with half the roster)
8. Joel Anthony $3.8 ($64.7)
9. Marcus Smart should be $2.64 based on last year's rookie salary scale, though that number will rise.
10. James Young is $1.35 based on same scale. Combined, that's $3.99, though that number will rise. For the sake of this argument, lets call their combined salaries $4 mil, bringing us to: ($68.7 total)
11. Vitor - 2.09 ($71.6)
12. KO - 2.07 ($74.3)
13. Zeller - $1.7 ($76)
14. Sully - $1.4 ($ 77.4)
15. Johnson - $915,243
16. Pressey - $816,482
17. Babb - $816,482 (combining these three guys being you to $2.55, meaning...

We're at a GRAND TOTAL of:

17 players under contract for approximately $79.9 million.

For those still keeping score at home, that's roughly $13.7 million over the salary cap and $3.1 million over the new luxury tax threshold.

This is a team that won't make the playoffs as is. There's NO way they pay any luxury tax, nor will they allow the team to suffer from the future (and current) holds and restrictions going over the tax puts on your financial flexibility and ability to make moves (based on the rules) for this team. Two guys have to get cut, and at least $3.2 million to get under.

SO...who do we think is moving, getting cut, and when? :)

Don't forget that Mike Moser just out up a hell of a two weeks with the team. And he's probably behind Colton Iverson in terms of who makes it first.

I think Babb gets cut first. I didn't expect a trade for Bogans so soon because that's a valuable contract in terms of size to mix and match in other future deals, but he'll likely get moved to a team with cap room. He could get waived entirely, but that's a waste and unlike Danny.

That's my guess on next two to go though.
Good post, lots of homework here. Thanks and a tp for the effort.

Just to extend the above a bit, Bogans is very unlikely to start the season with the celtics. That elimination alone will remove them from luxury tax land.

Babb and Johnson are likely gone, but they will probably be replaced with similar fodder, such as moser.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2014, 07:25:34 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I don't think there's a chance of Bogans making it to the C's roster next year, and I only expect one "Chris", at most, to stick past October.

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2014, 08:21:50 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
bogans is gone we all know
i do think that one of the babb johnson duo is gone as they are just that close in play, neither one has distances himself that much from the other

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2014, 08:46:51 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
bogans is gone we all know
i do think that one of the babb johnson duo is gone as they are just that close in play, neither one has distances himself that much from the other
But Bogans has a valuable contract to mix and match. Like the other poster I don't think Ainge just waives him without getting anything back.

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2014, 09:01:30 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I hope we do a sign and trade with Bayless and Hump, maybe to charlotte for biyombo and filler. If we got nothing for them I would question the logic of holding on to them at the trade deadline last year when some of us wanted them gone(Bass and Hump).

I still can not tell the direction of this team. If we are tanking again then Bass, Hump, and Bayless should be traded sign and trade for prospects and filler.

They weren't exactly trying to hold on to them. Deals were in place to send Bass to Houston but they didn't pull the trigger. Ultimately, other players were had that people liked more at the deadline. Hump was valuable as an expiring contract sure, but $12 was a lot to take on, even when it was less at the deadline.

Bass is still under contract, he hasn't been "lost" for nothing yet.

But you make it seem like the S&T is something really easy. Why would any team give up assets for Jerryd Bayless or Kris Humphries when they can get them for free?
First off i said "I hope" we do a sign and trade...I have assessed the best case, worst case, and most likely case....I was just expressing my desire for the best case scenario in which we get value for our assets.

Theres a strong chance one of the championship teams that would want a Hump or Bayless will be hard pressed to sign them if they already have used the mle. Even if they haven't used the mle, I do not know what Hump and Bayless would be willing to take, there not a strong chance they can sign the players they want under it. It really depends on which team.

So to answer your question more easily...not every team can get hump and Bayless for free. Especially the teams that their services would most be wanted.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 09:07:02 AM by Future Celtics Owner »