Author Topic: Who is the next to be traded/waived?  (Read 5125 times)

Who is the next to be traded/waived?
« on: July 10, 2014, 02:56:43 PM »

Offline Celtsfan92

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 11
Hey guys, new here. Never realized there was a forum. Happy to find a community of Celtics fans!

Anyway, I was reading this author (saw someone posted one of his other stories last week) and he seems to really think yesterday's move means something else is going to happen. Do you agree? If so, who do you think gets dealt? I find it hard to believe that Tyler Zeller and a potential mid-20s pick added to our original Love deal sways Minnesota, so I think the move will come elsewhere. Maybe Bass finally goes to clear some minutes?

Check out the story, he lays out the contracts and potential movers decently. http://millcitysports.com/articles/4891-celtics-acquire-tyler-zeller-prepare-for-kevin-love

Oh, and if you're interested this is the story that I found posted here from a weekish ago: http://millcitysports.com/articles/4729-bradley-contract-may-be-just-the-beginning-for-ainge

Re: Who is the next to be traded/waived?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 02:59:55 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Phil Pressey will get waived in the next few days.  I believe his contract becomes guaranteed on the 15th.

They'll probably drop another guard or two also.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 03:06:58 PM »

Offline Celtsfan92

• Xavier Tillman
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think his contract becomes guaranteed by date. I think it's just a stipulation in the contract like - hey we can waive you at any point and don't have to actually pay your salary. Like the Bogans contract.

But anyway - I'm hard pressed to think they waive Pressey. They LOVE the kid, and he's really improved since last season. He's stronger and quicker.

I think it will be Babb because he's the odd one out.

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 03:08:38 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think his contract becomes guaranteed by date. I think it's just a stipulation in the contract like - hey we can waive you at any point and don't have to actually pay your salary. Like the Bogans contract.

But anyway - I'm hard pressed to think they waive Pressey. They LOVE the kid, and he's really improved since last season. He's stronger and quicker.

I think it will be Babb because he's the odd one out.

Consider yourself corrected.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 03:21:48 PM »

Offline R6Caruso

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 2
There's no way they drop Pressey. Celtics brass love him, and he's too cheap to drop. Danny will attempt to move Bogan's non guaranteed contract. Then say goodbye to Babb and Johnson.
"When all of our games are on, that's when we've played at our best."

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 04:00:51 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Pressey should stay. Well worth 800 thousand.

I look at a guy like Bass as a guy a contender might trade a late first for.

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 10:48:44 AM »

Offline Celtsfan92

• Xavier Tillman
I can't imagine it's Pressey. They love him, and his day's a former coach here too. I think other guys go first and they let Pressey's contract become guaranteed. I don't think Bass will get traded yet. He *might* be able to garner a late first, but not at this point. Probably closer to the deadline.

Doesn't Jeff Green seem like the obvious guy to go? Especially if they don't land Love

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 11:07:18 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
The team currently has 15 players under contract, so technically all of the unguaranteed contracts can stay. Anyway, Pressey will probably be the last of these to be waived -- not because he's played particularly well, but because Johnson and Babb are both worse and more redundant.

I can, however, easily see a scenario where they waive all three of them if they can bring Bayless, Humphries, and Iverson in for a reasonable price.

I don't expect anyone else to get moved. No, not even Bass, and definitely not Green.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 11:25:14 AM »

Offline Celtsfan92

• Xavier Tillman
The team currently has 15 players under contract, so technically all of the unguaranteed contracts can stay. Anyway, Pressey will probably be the last of these to be waived -- not because he's played particularly well, but because Johnson and Babb are both worse and more redundant.

I can, however, easily see a scenario where they waive all three of them if they can bring Bayless, Humphries, and Iverson in for a reasonable price.

I don't expect anyone else to get moved. No, not even Bass, and definitely not Green.

They're currently at 17 players under contract, so two need to go before the start of the season. They're also at $78.3 million as it is, approximately $1.5 million over the luxury tax threshold, so there's no way Bayless or Humphries walk through that door unless someone else goes out of it first. Though if we're being honest, I'd be shocked to see either of them back. Nothing to do with them as players - both were terrific, serviceable, and fun to watch. I'm actually a huge fan of the hump, but he just takes minutes away from Sully and Zeller and KO and is too expensive, even at something like $5 mil. And Bayless, well, there's a log jam at guard haha

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 11:29:05 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

I hope we do a sign and trade with Bayless and Hump, maybe to charlotte for biyombo and filler. If we got nothing for them I would question the logic of holding on to them at the trade deadline last year when some of us wanted them gone(Bass and Hump).

I still can not tell the direction of this team. If we are tanking again then Bass, Hump, and Bayless should be traded sign and trade for prospects and filler.

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 11:42:22 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
If we got nothing for them I would question the logic of holding on to them at the trade deadline last year when some of us wanted them gone(Bass and Hump).

Its all about *option value*. Sometimes, nothing interesting comes along. But if it does, you have the means to make a move. Sort of like with the TPE. Most of the time, these expire without being used (eg GSWs recently had one expire). But, DA was able to use the one from Pierce to get a pick and players from Cleveland.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 11:44:13 AM »

Offline MSceltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 23
I do think Danny made the trade to add more assets in order to be in a better position to make moves, but I do not think he had anything specific in mind. He didn't do trade A to pull off trade B because trade B is 1000 different ideas running around his brain right now. Danny is headed to the Vegas summer league and he will probably treat it like a work convention/trade show. He will oooo and aaaah over the talent on the floor and try to work deals in the hotel bar. Although he's Morman and will order Ginger Ale.

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 02:30:07 PM »

Offline Celtsfan92

• Xavier Tillman
I hope we do a sign and trade with Bayless and Hump, maybe to charlotte for biyombo and filler. If we got nothing for them I would question the logic of holding on to them at the trade deadline last year when some of us wanted them gone(Bass and Hump).

I still can not tell the direction of this team. If we are tanking again then Bass, Hump, and Bayless should be traded sign and trade for prospects and filler.

They weren't exactly trying to hold on to them. Deals were in place to send Bass to Houston but they didn't pull the trigger. Ultimately, other players were had that people liked more at the deadline. Hump was valuable as an expiring contract sure, but $12 was a lot to take on, even when it was less at the deadline.

Bass is still under contract, he hasn't been "lost" for nothing yet.

But you make it seem like the S&T is something really easy. Why would any team give up assets for Jerryd Bayless or Kris Humphries when they can get them for free?

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 02:35:49 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Once teams start using up their MLE on players, I wouldn't be shocked if the Celtics work out a Bayless sign-and-trade with a playoff contender that has a TPE in the $2-3m range in exchange for a couple of future seconds.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 03:20:16 PM »

Offline Celtsfan92

• Xavier Tillman
Once teams start using up their MLE on players, I wouldn't be shocked if the Celtics work out a Bayless sign-and-trade with a playoff contender that has a TPE in the $2-3m range in exchange for a couple of future seconds.

I guess it's not unreasonable, especially for a team over the cap trying to add another nice piece. I see the point on that, but it won't be for a few weeks until the market dries out I'd imagine