Author Topic: Gerald Wallace: LeBron ‘Doesn't have the attitude or the fight’ of Jordan & Kobe  (Read 10018 times)

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I think G-Dub talks way too much but he is on to something here.

Jordan & Kobe along with Bird & a few others have/had this incredible fight about them & attitude.  It's a bit tough to try & convey it in words but essentially losing killed them.  Those guys had this ridiculous competitive gene and you'd often see them take it out on both teammates and opponents.  I don't quite see that from Lebron.  Certainly more passive in that area although he is certainly still a leader out there.  He just seems to lead in a different way than guys like Jordan & Kobe.   

From a basketball skillpoint, Lebron might be better than all of them when all is said & done but, in terms of drive & desire, he's not on the same page.  I don't think you'll ever hear people talking about the "drive & desire" of Lebron James in the first sentence of an epitaph about him.

EDIT:  Also, I'm not what you'd consider a Lebron basher.  I think a lot of the criticism and hatred of him on here is unwarranted.  He's already one of the all-time greats.

There is no way in h-e double hockey sticks that I'll ever be able to say Lebron has more "basketball skills" than Jordan, Kobe, or Bird. I just think that is absurd. James uses his brute size and force to do a lot of things. Putting his head down and steamrolling guys is not a "basketball skill" and it certainly never will come close to anything Jordan Kobe or Bird could do from a basketball stand point.

Will he be an all time great? Yes there's no way to deny it even being a Lebron hater. But his legacy is more Shaq like dominance compared to basketball skill beauty.

"Absurd to say" is certainly some hyperbole.  Doesn't seem so far-fetched. He does a lot more than just put his head down & steamroll guys.  If you think that's the only way he plays basketball, you're missing out.  Also, if you had a physical advantage, why wouldn't you use it?

I also mentioned when all "is said & done".  I'm really interested to see the direction his game goes as he progresses along in his 30s and starts falling out of his prime.  Does he end up more of a 4?  Does he become more perimeter oriented like Kobe did?  I'm not sure what to expect from him.

I never said he shouldn't be using his physical strength. That's his game and that's his way of dominance. But it doesn't mean he has the basketball skills that MJ Kobe and Bird do.

Was Shaq a top three center of all time? You can certainly make a case. Did he have more basketball skills than Olajuwon, Kareem or even Russel? Not even close. That's more of the point I'm getting at.

Offline yoursweatersux

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 45
GW is an idiot, pure and simple. As if winning games has everything to do with "attitude" and nothing to do with, you know, how you play the game... smh

Lebron is, and pretty much always has been, better than Kobe. He might still end up winning more games than Kobe. But people want to get on his back because he doesn't strut and preen around like a pretentious peacock, or chew his teammates out for no good reason, even when they're the ones carrying him? *cough* Kobe's game 7 in the 2010 finals, cough* *cough* Pau Gasol being the better player on both of their Championship runs *cough*

Offline puskas54_10

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 13
Somebody should tell Gerald Wallace to shut up.
Lebron James is by far the best player in the NBA.
Gerald Wallace can't even do any useful things on a lettery team while getting 10M a year.

Give me Lebron over Kobe anytime. James is far superior. Just see what happens when Kobe can't rely on Shaq/Gasol/Bynum.

Jordan is lucky he never played against the Spurs in the finals. The spurs are a machine, the ultimate team. No way he beats them consecutive years. The 90's was all about whose go-to guy better.

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be

Jordan & Kobe along with Bird & a few others have/had this incredible fight about them & attitude.  It's a bit tough to try & convey it in words but essentially losing killed them.  Those guys had this ridiculous competitive gene and you'd often see them take it out on both teammates and opponents.  I don't quite see that from Lebron.  Certainly more passive in that area although he is certainly still a leader out there.  He just seems to lead in a different way than guys like Jordan & Kobe.   

From a basketball skillpoint, Lebron might be better than all of them when all is said & done but, in terms of drive & desire, he's not on the same page.  I don't think you'll ever hear people talking about the "drive & desire" of Lebron James in the first sentence of an epitaph about him.

EDIT:  Also, I'm not what you'd consider a Lebron basher.  I think a lot of the criticism and hatred of him on here is unwarranted.  He's already one of the all-time greats.

There is no way in h-e double hockey sticks that I'll ever be able to say Lebron has more "basketball skills" than Jordan, Kobe, or Bird. I just think that is absurd. James uses his brute size and force to do a lot of things. Putting his head down and steamrolling guys is not a "basketball skill" and it certainly never will come close to anything Jordan Kobe or Bird could do from a basketball stand point.

Will he be an all time great? Yes there's no way to deny it even being a Lebron hater. But his legacy is more Shaq like dominance compared to basketball skill beauty.

"Absurd to say" is certainly some hyperbole.  Doesn't seem so far-fetched. He does a lot more than just put his head down & steamroll guys.  If you think that's the only way he plays basketball, you're missing out.  Also, if you had a physical advantage, why wouldn't you use it?

I also mentioned when all "is said & done".  I'm really interested to see the direction his game goes as he progresses along in his 30s and starts falling out of his prime.  Does he end up more of a 4?  Does he become more perimeter oriented like Kobe did?  I'm not sure what to expect from him.

I never said he shouldn't be using his physical strength. That's his game and that's his way of dominance. But it doesn't mean he has the basketball skills that MJ Kobe and Bird do.

Was Shaq a top three center of all time? You can certainly make a case. Did he have more basketball skills than Olajuwon, Kareem or even Russel? Not even close. That's more of the point I'm getting at.

I think, from a skills standpoint, Lebron is certainly better than Kobe.  The fadeway jumper might not be quite there but Lebron is better aspects include passing & rebounding.  Probably on par with prime Kobe defensively.  He's also shooting nearly 50% for his career which is amazingly remarkable for a wing like him.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

It's not absurd to compare his skills to Kobe or even to MJ, but IMO it is with Bird. By the same token, it's fairly absurd to compare Kobe's skills to Bird's, and I don't think MJ was all that close.

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48

Lebron is not as skilled as those guys???? Please show me another 6'8 / 6'9 guy that can pass, dribble, shoot, rebound and defend four of the 5 positions on the floor on a given night...

Bird, Kobe and Jordan have this ridiculous desire to rip your head of on the court, I will admit Lebron doesn't have that...

I think Jordan is the best player to ever lace them up but Lebron is not too far behind and I would take him over Bird and Kobe if I was starting a franchise...

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

It's not absurd to compare his skills to Kobe or even to MJ, but IMO it is with Bird. By the same token, it's fairly absurd to compare Kobe's skills to Bird's, and I don't think MJ was all that close.

Why?  Care to elaborate?

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

You can't make a case for Shaq in the top three, especially not in any conversation that includes Wilt and Kareem.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Gerald Wallace --  ::) ::) ::)

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
I'll bet you $35 that LeBron puts up 60 points the next time he's matched up against Gerald Wallace.

Of course, that's mostly because Gerald Wallace sucks, but still.

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Having watched the careers of all three , I have to agree with Wallace.

LeBron lacks in the alpha dog and leadership role .   He allows himself to be pushed there at times, but infrequently, but he doesn't go willingly to the Kobe or MJ mindset.

Bill Walton and Larry Bird had no quit. About their games.  Cowans was a pitbull.

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Why?  Care to elaborate?

Sure. Bird's arguably the best shooter of all time, in the argument for best passer of all time and one of the best rebounders ever at his position. His skill level was off the charts, kind of like LeBron's or MJ's athleticism.

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I love it... everyone here telling Gerald Wallace to shut up that he shouldn't be able to talk trash.

Then you go to the next LeBron thread and trash LeBron yourself.

Awesome!

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

Why?  Care to elaborate?

Sure. Bird's arguably the best shooter of all time, in the argument for best passer of all time and one of the best rebounders ever at his position. His skill level was off the charts, kind of like LeBron's or MJ's athleticism.

Definitely agreed on the shooting.  I think the rest is a lot closer. 

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
I love it... everyone here telling Gerald Wallace to shut up that he shouldn't be able to talk trash.

Then you go to the next LeBron thread and trash LeBron yourself.

Awesome!

You expect people to be rationale around these parts?  ;)