Author Topic: State of The Celtics.  (Read 2605 times)

State of The Celtics.
« on: July 10, 2014, 09:12:03 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I know the "off-season isn't over" & "free agency just started". but as this team is currently constituted, we're horrible. I know it's blasphemy to say making the playoffs is a bad thing but for this team it is.

being a borderline playoff team is great if you're a young team like philly, we're fighting for a playoff spot is great experience for a young team learning to win.

but this team is not that. they're a collection of guys that won't be here when we do win again. maybe one or 2 of them will be but for the most part a majority of the guys that will be getting the mins next yr. won't be:

Green
Bass
Wallace

hell Rondo and Bradley might not be here by the time we win again.

I would just like to see a clear vision of what we're trying to do. right now this team doesn't look like it has it's mind made up. it seems like one side of the team wants to make the playoffs & the other wants to go young. this feels like '04 all over again and it's such a horrible place to be.   

Re: State of The Celtics.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 09:15:51 AM »

Offline celticpride1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40
I know the "off-season isn't over" & "free agency just started". but as this team is currently constituted, we're horrible. I know it's blasphemy to say making the playoffs is a bad thing but for this team it is.

being a borderline playoff team is great if you're a young team like philly, we're fighting for a playoff spot is great experience for a young team learning to win.

but this team is not that. they're a collection of guys that won't be here when we do win again. maybe one or 2 of them will be but for the most part a majority of the guys that will be getting the mins next yr. won't be:

Green
Bass
Wallace

hell Rondo and Bradley might not be here by the time we win again.

I would just like to see a clear vision of what we're trying to do. right now this team doesn't look like it has it's mind made up. it seems like one side of the team wants to make the playoffs & the other wants to go young. this feels like '04 all over again and it's such a horrible place to be.

Its easy gain as many pieces that you can to become a contender. Thats why Danny is adding all these pieces to try and get Love or anther player if they come onto the market. Yes did is suck going from contender to tanking? YES but nobody stays on top forever. Teams must rebuild and it takes time. Sit back relax and watch the master do his thing.

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 09:19:49 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Easy: Massachusetts
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 09:21:15 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Smart/Johnson/--/Sully/Olynyk/Zeller

Looks like we have a nice little youth movement afoot if nothing dramatic transpires.

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 09:33:30 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I think the "vision" is totally clear.  I'm not sure why some people are so confused about what Ainge is doing.  We took Wallace in order to get first round picks so we aren't going to give away picks to unload Wallace.

Ainge couldn't get his perceived value for Rondo, Bass, or Green so why would he purposefully make a trade in which he gets ripped off?

And why would he sign a guy like Afflalo or Asik when it's obvious these guys are not cornerstones.  They would put us squarely in the realm of first round exits that you guys are so anxious to avoid.

Some of you guys are going to have to be way more patient.

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 09:38:13 AM »

Offline celticpride1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40
I think the "vision" is totally clear.  I'm not sure why some people are so confused about what Ainge is doing.  We took Wallace in order to get first round picks so we aren't going to give away picks to unload Wallace.

Ainge couldn't get his perceived value for Rondo, Bass, or Green so why would he purposefully make a trade in which he gets ripped off?

And why would he sign a guy like Afflalo or Asik when it's obvious these guys are not cornerstones.  They would put us squarely in the realm of first round exits that you guys are so anxious to avoid.

Some of you guys are going to have to be way more patient.

Right on Rome wasnt built overnight what came together in 2007 dont happen every year. That was special.

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 09:41:02 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

of those players the only one that is a valuable asset is Rondo and it's minimal value at best at this point.

which brings up the subject of "gaining assets". we have draft picks, which is our most valuable asset right now. but it wasn't good enough for Minn. so how will some other teams value our draft picks?

I personally think draft picks are valuable but it seems teams don't value them as much as one would think.

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 09:52:39 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

of those players the only one that is a valuable asset is Rondo and it's minimal value at best at this point.

which brings up the subject of "gaining assets". we have draft picks, which is our most valuable asset right now. but it wasn't good enough for Minn. so how will some other teams value our draft picks?

I personally think draft picks are valuable but it seems teams don't value them as much as one would think.

Different teams have different goals.  Minnesota's priority, I would argue, is to make the playoffs as soon as possible, even if they top out as an 8th seed that gets swept.  Given how long it has been since they made the playoffs, I don't blame them for having that goal.  Future picks don't help them.  The picks would be more valuable in talking to a team that has embraced a long-term rebuilding.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 09:59:35 AM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
It's not that hard to understand.  Here's the roster as I see it.

Young assets on rookie deals that either have a future with Cs or will be used in trade:
1) Marcus Smart
2) Kelly Olynyk
3) Jared Sullinger
4) James Young
5) Tyler Zeller

Veteran Assets that either have some future with Cs or we would hope to get value for in a trade:
1) Rajon Rondo (1/13)
2) Avery Bradley (4/32)
3) Jeff Green (2/19)

Tradable Expiring Contracts- 22 mil
1) Marcus Thornton (1/9)
2) Brandon Bass (1/7)
3) Joel Anthony (1/4)
4) Vitor Faverani (1/2)

Non-guaranteed Contracts- 8 mil (either used in trades or cut):
1) Phil Pressey (only one in this category with a potential future as a 3rd pg)
2) Chris Johnson
3) Chris Babb
4) Keith Bogans

Horrible Albatross Contract that we need to suck up for one more year before it becomes expiring:
1) Gerald Wallace (2/20)

8 (not counting PHI) 1st rd draft picks in the next 4 years (7 totally unprotected)

So you have 8 guys on the roster that actually matter as bball players.  At least 7 of those guys should be starters or consistent rotation players next year.  You have 8 guys on the roster who are ideal salary filler in trades.  Personally, I expect all the non-guaranteed players to be gone via trade or cut other than Pressey before this season at the least.

You also have Wallace who sucks and whose contract sucks yes.

What is unclear?  We either use the salary filler in trades this summer to get better or we wait out one more transitional year and have only Wallace left after this year who doesn't fit our vision.  We're in good shape long-term. 

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 10:00:48 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

When Bass, Green, and Wallace are in the last year of their contracts, their value will go way up to some teams.  Rondo's value will go up once he shows that he is healthier.  Teams that may have point guard injuries might really value Rondo... If the Bulls get Gasol, and Mirotic is there if Rose gets hurt again I bet they would give up a lot for Rondo.

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 10:06:32 AM »

fitzhickey

Easy: Massachusetts
TP this was great

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 10:06:53 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
People want answers right away when it's really not possible right now. DA is seeing what the market will give him. He's waiting for Lebron,Melo,Bosh to make their moves. He probably has deals lined up for every out come.

His first option is to jump start the rebuild by landing an all star. Love is the first option and most obtainable one, I'm sure he kicked the tires on Melo and Bosh, but those would be hard to work out. Anything else, who knows what goes on behind the doors, there might be something we aren't seeing yet.

If he can't land all star talent, most likely move Rondo,Green,Bass. But with Rondo, unless DA gets a heck of an offer, it most likely wont happen till the deadline. Rondo's value is pretty low. I mean the best offer we've heard of is McLamore and the 8th.

Right now deals like Zeller/Thorton are just pieces of a larger pie. You still don't know what direction DA is moving because both players help in either direction.

I was surprised that DA would help Cleveland with opening up Cap space for Lebron, but maybe there was a winky,winky, nudge, nudge that either Cleveland wont go after Love, or they might be able to get into the deal with Minni, and land either a Waiters, or better yet Wiggins! :P   

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 10:18:16 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Not surprisingly, there is a lot of impatience here or people thinking Summer '07 can happen again so easily. 

Expectations need to be tempered.  This is a multi-year rebuild.  They've been accumuluating a ton of assets and slowly getting to real roster flexibility.   From a long-term picture, things are certainly headed in the right direction.  If you simply look at things short-term, you're going to be disappointed because this team is most likely gonna suck again in '14-15.  I'm guessing a slight, incremental improvement but not enough to appease most people spoiled by the past 7 years (save for last year). 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 11:00:53 AM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
Agree that unless we get a cornerstone guy, Love is at the top of list, then it's better to hang back and suck for another year. Let the young guys play, see what their value is, and make big splash next year when you can unload Wallace's contract. Hopefully Love stays in Minn and we can just sign him without giving anything up. If not 2015 got a bunch of good centers hitting the free agency market.

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2014, 11:05:20 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

When Bass, Green, and Wallace are in the last year of their contracts, their value will go way up to some teams.  Rondo's value will go up once he shows that he is healthier.  Teams that may have point guard injuries might really value Rondo... If the Bulls get Gasol, and Mirotic is there if Rose gets hurt again I bet they would give up a lot for Rondo.
Rondo's value will only go down since he is expiring, but not a guy you would trade for as an expiring contract.  Same thing with Love and other players in those types of situations. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip