Author Topic: Celtics (2-1) vs Magic (2-1) Summer League Game 4  (Read 12163 times)

Re: Celtics (2-1) vs Magic (2-1) Summer League Game 4
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2014, 07:04:42 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
This has been a pretty humbling summer league for Smart.  It reminds me a ton of when Marcus Banks was drafted... all the confidence in the world was lost pretty quickly when it became clear he was outmatched.

Hopefully Smart doesn't let this ruin his confidence.  With a lot of time and hard work, he can still be an effective player in the league.

Unlike Banks though, Smart knows how to play without just relying on scoring confidence. Smart is a nice passer, excellent defender on man and in the lanes, good rebounder. He will always get you something. He looks comfortable on the floor.

Banks never looked comfortable.

It's pretty crazy to compare him to Marcus Banks.  His defense alone puts him in another league. 

Banks didn't contribute anything in the NBA.
Banks was known for his pitbull size, defensive intensity and aggressive penetration. 

He was hailed for his obscene defensive pressure... it's why people still bring up his name when talking about Avery Bradley.  Defensive aggressiveness. 

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2014, 07:07:06 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
This has been a pretty humbling summer league for Smart.  It reminds me a ton of when Marcus Banks was drafted... all the confidence in the world was lost pretty quickly when it became clear he was outmatched.

Hopefully Smart doesn't let this ruin his confidence.  With a lot of time and hard work, he can still be an effective player in the league.

Unlike Banks though, Smart knows how to play without just relying on scoring confidence. Smart is a nice passer, excellent defender on man and in the lanes, good rebounder. He will always get you something. He looks comfortable on the floor.

It's pretty crazy to compare him to Marcus Banks.  His defense alone puts him in another league. 

Banks was known for his pitbull size, defensive intensity and aggressive penetration. 

He was hailed for his obscene defensive pressure... it's why people still bring up his name when talking about Avery Bradley.  Defensive aggressiveness.

If Banks played defense like Bradley he would have had a career.

I feel confident Smart will at least do that at an NBA level.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2014, 07:07:34 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

The problem with Marcus Banks was that "aggressiveness" was about the only NBA skill he had  ;D
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2014, 07:56:16 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
Smart still managed 19 points even though he didn't shoot the ball all to well. Pressey on the other hand.. ugh.. 1/15.
It's been a very limited sampling but from I'm seeing, Smart has a soft touch but his mechanics look off.  To me, that's something that can be corrected with practice.  Pressey on the other hand doesn't look like he has any feel for shooting at all.  And that's exactly how he looked last year save for one early season game when he was hot and hit a bunch of 3's.

I've seen nothing from Smart yet that would make me think that it was a mistake to draft him.

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2014, 08:10:31 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
Was watching earlier. Man, pressey was out of control. Why was he given the green light to shoot threes? He couldnt even hit it even if he was wide open. He was a ballhog out there.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2014, 09:01:07 PM »

Offline NorthernLightning

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • zap

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2014, 09:21:22 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

I recall more people harping on his speed than defense.

« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2014, 09:24:19 PM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
Lets hope Smart isn't like Banks. I remember watching a bunch of Bank's summer league games and he was really impressive. Obviously Bank's skills didn't translate to the regular season but I think Smart can handle the big league and he'll do all right. Hopefully a better version of Nate Robinson/young Tim Hardway.

« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2014, 09:28:15 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
How has Gordon looked out there?
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2014, 08:19:00 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972