Author Topic: Celtics (2-1) vs Magic (2-1) Summer League Game 4  (Read 12164 times)

Celtics (2-1) vs Magic (2-1) Summer League Game 4
« on: July 09, 2014, 10:36:20 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11832
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
vs
Boston Celtics (2-1) at Orlando Magic (2-1)
Thursday, July 10, 2014
5:00 PM ET
TV:  CSNNE, NBA-TV
Online:  Summer League Live

Roster
O.D. Anosike
Chris Babb
Dairis Bertans
Daniel Coursey
Colton Iverson
Edwin Jackson
Chris Johnson
Mike Moser
Devin Oliver
Kelly Olynyk
Phil Pressey
Marcus Smart
James Young

Player to Watch

Marcus Smart has 3 games under his belt and has shown some improvement as he gets used to the NBA game.   In his last game he finished with 14 points, 5 rebounds, 6 assists, and 2 steals in the win over the Pistons.  For the Celtics to get another win, Smart needs to come up with a good game.

Roster

Kadeem Betts
Matt Bouldin
Seth Curry
Dwayne Dedmon
Ashaun Dixon-Tatum
Kim English
Aaron Gordon
Luke Hancock
Cameron Jones
Josh Magette
Devyn Marble
Victor Oladipo
Romero Osby
Elfrid Payton
Kendrick Perry
Augustine Rubit
Scott Suggs
Vernon Macklin
Darrius Williams

Player to Watch

Aaron Gordon
The Celtics were very interested in Gordon leading up to the draft and he was rumored to be at the top of their big board.  The Magic drafted him before the Celtics made their pick, so we won't know for sure if the Celtics would have taken Gordon or Smart if both were available.   He is averaging 6.7 points, 4.0 rebounds and 0.3 assists for Orlando in Summer League.

Key Matchup
vs
Phil Pressey vs Victor Oladipo
Pressey has been playing very well for the Celtics in Summer League.  The Celtics must make a decision whether to keep Pressey in their crowded back court or to release him before July 16 when his contract becomes guaranteed.    Oladipo has a year of NBA experience under his belt.   Oladipo is averaging 14.5 points, 6.5 rebounds and 2.0 assists in Summer League.  He is a part of the Magic's core for the future.   

Game Notes
Both teams are playing in their 4th game before the championship games begin on Friday.  The Celtics have 14 points while the Magic have 15 points.  8 points are up for grabs in this game (4 for a win and one for winning each quarter).  Philadelphia leads the points total with 22 points.  If the Magic win all 8 points, they could take over the lead.  The Celtics could tie Philadelphia for the top spot if they net all 8 points.  The points totals will determine their matchup for the final game on Friday.

The Celtics are playing in back to back games while the Magic have been off since Tuesday.  The Celtics will play 3 days in a row as they will need to play on Friday also to close out their Summer League action.  The Celtics are coming off a win over the Pistons while the Magic are coming off of a loss to the Grizzlies.

It will be interesting to watch Aaron Gordon, who may very well have been a Celtic is the Magic didn't pick him first.  Marcus Smart has shown improvement in his 3 games so far.  It would be good for him to close out Summer League with two strong performances.

Kelly Olynyk is 2-0 with his pony tail as opposed to the headband and flowing locks.  Hopefully we will see the pony tail again for this game. 

Re: Celtics (2-1) vs Magic (2-1) Summer League Game 4
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 10:51:31 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
flc. it is sooooo good to see your game threads back up. many thanks along with a tp.

goooooo celtics!!!!  :D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 10:57:42 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
edit: wrong game thread
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 11:10:47 PM by hpantazo »

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 05:25:08 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Lets gooooo
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 05:30:12 PM »

Offline NorthernLightning

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • zap
KO not playing the back to back. maybe they want to get a look at other guys.

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 05:32:53 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • I Bleed Green
Love Smart's defense on Elfrid Payton, Pressey just keeps missing :/

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 05:32:53 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
Smart's defense looks good

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 05:35:10 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • I Bleed Green
Seth Curry is a darn good shooter, it lies in the DNA i guess

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 05:37:59 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I just caught Gordon failing to back down Marcus Smart in the post.

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 05:37:59 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • I Bleed Green
Haha I like how Gordon couldn't push Smart away, what a physique for a combo guard!

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 05:40:04 PM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
Haha I like how Gordon couldn't push Smart away, what a physique for a combo guard!

Smart's strength on display. He also passes much better than I thought he would. I see a lot of great passes from him and his teammates just aren't up to speed/fumble the ball for what would've been a guaranteed assist.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 05:47:12 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • I Bleed Green
We are getting killed on the boards, which is no surprise since this is the Celtics, hahaha jk.
I'm surprised by how bad of a shooter Pressey is, thought he shot the ball much better in college, it hasn't translated though.

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 05:55:01 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
We are getting killed on the boards, which is no surprise since this is the Celtics, hahaha jk.
I'm surprised by how bad of a shooter Pressey is, thought he shot the ball much better in college, it hasn't translated though.

Some of Pressey's bad shooting is poor decision making. He has no business trying to jack a shot in the face of the much bigger athletic Elfrid Payton.

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 05:57:31 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Some of Pressey's bad shooting is poor decision making. He has no business trying to jack a shot in the face of the much bigger athletic Elfrid Payton.

I was happy with Pressey last year and think he looks in some ways better so far (I like some of his floaters/lay ins and he looks stronger) but his J is still pretty bad and he's trying to do too much.

But part of this is that it's summer league.  I feel some of the same way with Smart.  Their roles are so different on our actual roster that it doesn't mean much.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2014, 06:01:10 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • I Bleed Green

That's true as well, he hasn't done a good job with his decision making. But I was also thinking about the wide open threes that he continues to miss.