Author Topic: Chandler Parsons agrees to 3-year, $46 million deal with Dallas Mavericks  (Read 32331 times)

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Correct me if I'm wrong:

Houston had Parsons with a team option for about a million, and decided not to pick that up making him a free agent? Why wouldn't they have just picked up the option!?

Because next season he would have been an unrestricted free agent, and Houston would not have had the option to match bids on him.

Because they're electing not to match the current bid on him this year, as a RFA, I suppose it's a moot point.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Correct me if I'm wrong:

Houston had Parsons with a team option for about a million, and decided not to pick that up making him a free agent? Why wouldn't they have just picked up the option!?

I saw your previous post too that nobody answered.  My friend and I were asking ourselves the same question two nights ago.  I'm fairly clueless.  The best possibility I can offer up is that he became a restricted free agent if they didn't pick up the option, but would become an UFA next season if they did pick it up?  And they didn't expect him to get signed to such a large offer sheet they couldn't match?  I don't even know if that is factual or not.  It's the only sensible possibility I can come up with though.

EDIT - Thanks Lucky for confirming
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 11:29:50 PM by action781 »
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
Even without the knowledge of what kind of offer sheet he'd be signed to... I still think the right choice was to keep him for cheap for one more season.  Which Morey messed up on.

But Morey did make the right decision not to match Dallas' offer sheet.  Houston will have a ton of money freed up next offseason and they can make a run at a much better player like Rondo or Love.  And they can find guys in free agency who can be 75% of Parsons (Mike Miller) for the MLE which is 1/3 of the cost that Parsons just signed for.

Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
And they can find guys in free agency who can be 75% of Parsons (Mike Miller) for the MLE which is 1/3 of the cost that Parsons just signed for.
This is a particularly silly argument though. Would you rather have LeBron, or two guys who can each be 50% of LeBron for a quarter of the price?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
And they can find guys in free agency who can be 75% of Parsons (Mike Miller) for the MLE which is 1/3 of the cost that Parsons just signed for.
This is a particularly silly argument though. Would you rather have LeBron, or two guys who can each be 50% of LeBron for a quarter of the price?
I hear your argument in general, but I'm not talking about two roster spots, I'm just talking about 1 roster spot.

And the fact that the CBA max contract limits Lebron to a contract far less than his true worth makes this comparison even less accurate.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Correct me if I'm wrong:

I saw your previous post too that nobody answered.  My friend and I were asking ourselves the same question two nights ago.  I'm fairly clueless.  The best possibility I can offer up is that he became a restricted free agent if they didn't pick up the option, but would become an UFA next season if they did pick it up?  And they didn't expect him to get signed to such a large offer sheet they couldn't match?  I don't even know if that is factual or not.  It's the only sensible possibility I can come up with though.

EDIT - Thanks Lucky for confirming

Right. they thought they'd be saving money by letting him hit RFA, but they they got CUBES'D
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
I still don't get it, they would have had full bird rights and could have outbid anyone anyway. It was a really stupid move the way I see it, possibly the dumbest thing I've ever seen a GM do.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
wait a second... the Rockets didn't match?   What the...??

I need to catch up on this thread.  That makes no freaking sense.  They could have just had him under contract next year for pennies.   So what if he would been UFA... he was a very valuable trade chip.   And the "they didn't want him to become a UFA" argument kinda goes out the window when they refuse to match him as a RFA, right?  What in the heck is the reasoning behind that?  Why didn't they match?

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
Tactical blunder by Morey IMHO. Maybe he thought that he could have kept Parsons at a lower price if there were no other interested teams.

Ainge was a genius in locking up Bradley as soon as possible to avoid this possibility.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
This is blowing my mind right now...

They gave up Asik and Lin + picks + Parsons... for Trevor ariza

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Tactical blunder by Morey IMHO. Maybe he thought that he could have kept Parsons at a lower price if there were no other interested teams.

Ainge was a genius in locking up Bradley as soon as possible to avoid this possibility.

I wonder if there was a wink-wink agreement between Chandler and Morey when the team-option wasn't picked up.

But then Parsons saw how much money was to be made, didn't want wait longer to negotiate with Morey and decided to go with the money.

I don't think Morey imagined someone would give him max money, and just told Parsons, hey I'm not going to pick your option, hold on tight while I get talent via free-agency then I'll give you a nice contract.

But when that much money is in the table...

I honestly think something was arranged to not pick-up his option, but they underestimated how much buying power was around the league this year.

Braedenks

Shawn Marion coming off of the bench is defiantly going to help them, the Texas triangle is going to be impossible to sweep from any-team this season

Offline beklog

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 64
Mark Berman: Chandler Parsons message to Rockets fans: "I hope there's no hard feelings. It's a business and I had to do what's best for my own individual career"

Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light… I just take pictures…

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
Mark Berman: Chandler Parsons message to Rockets fans: "I hope there's no hard feelings. It's a business and I had to do what's best for my own individual career"

For a 2nd round pick, many of which never make it in the NBA, I'd take the money and run too. The Mavs aren't a bad team either, with a good coach and solid ownership.

Become Legendary.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
wait a second... the Rockets didn't match?   What the...??

I need to catch up on this thread.  That makes no freaking sense.  They could have just had him under contract next year for pennies.   So what if he would been UFA... he was a very valuable trade chip.   And the "they didn't want him to become a UFA" argument kinda goes out the window when they refuse to match him as a RFA, right?  What in the heck is the reasoning behind that?  Why didn't they match?

Too much money to commit to a complementary player once they realized Bosh wasn't coming. That's per Woj, I think, but it might have been Stein.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.