Author Topic: Chandler Parsons agrees to 3-year, $46 million deal with Dallas Mavericks  (Read 32339 times)

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
Wow. So the Rockets lost Parsons, Lin, and Asik and have only Trevor Ariza to show for it. Huge downgrade for them this summer.

So instead of taking the celtics offer last year of

Brandon Bass and Courtney Lee and a future protected first-round pick

for asik , The rockets had to ship off draft picks and as mentioned have Ariza to show for it

Yep, and some people not too long ago were comparing Morey to Ainge. Not even close imo.

Morey's a very good GM.  I don't know if he's better than Ainge but you can definitely make an argument for it.  Sure, not all of his moves have worked out but his logic is usually sound.  Ainge has had plenty of moves backfire too, that's just the nature of the job.

What has Morey really accomplished? Twice he went hard after Dwight Howard, finally put a team around him, and they got wrecked in the playoffs because it's a flawed team built around an innefiecient chucker in Harden and an immature center with no heart in Dwight Howard. Then Morey clears a number of good players from the roster to go after Bosh or Melo with no clear signs that either of them would come there. Now he's left with a significantly worse roster than the one that faired poorly in the playoffs last year.

In comparison, Ainge built a championship team that made it to the finals a few times and almost beat the Heat in the EC playoffs a few other times. Then he quickly changed gears in time and acquired a ton of assets to rebuild with. Not to mention he killed the Lakers dynasty by facilitating the Sheed trade to Detroit in the past and now killed the Miami dynasty by facilitating Lebron to Cleveland.

As for Morey, even Dumars looked good in his first couple of years.

Morey took over a team built around two aging, injury-prone superstars on max contracts, then had one suffer a career-ending injury and the other demand a trade.  Despite this, he kept the team reasonably competitive in a brutal conference while accumulating enough assets to flip for Harden (Who by the way is not an "inefficient chucker." He's terrible on defense but he's a great offensive player).  He then signed Howard and put the team in great position to sign Bosh.  Just because Bosh shocked the world and went back to an aging, worse team doesn't mean  Morey made a bad decision, he just got unlucky.  If Bosh makes what most people would agree is the better basketball decision and signs with Houston, then that team's a title contender next season.  Don't forget, people were calling for Ainge's head for years before he took a chance on Ray despite his age and ankle problems and had KG gift-wrapped for him by a former teammate.    Plenty of his moves haven't worked out (Antoine trade, Mark Blount contract, signing Sheed, Shaq, JO, and Terry, a few awful draft picks), and if Ray had continued to have ankle problems or the Timberwolves traded KG to Golden State instead, he could well have been fired without winning anything.  Don't get me wrong, I think Ainge is great, but he's had some undeniable luck too.  I don't think it's fair to judge decisions entirely by their outcome, what really matters is the logic behind the decision.

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine
Sign-and-trade talks between Houston and Dallas have ended, sources say. So Rockets won't be salvaging trade exception from Parsons' exit

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
I still don't understand why the heck the Rockets didn't just pick up his team option for dirt cheap money...

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Sign-and-trade talks between Houston and Dallas have ended, sources say. So Rockets won't be salvaging trade exception from Parsons' exit

Being a cynic:  Stein's source didn't know what he was talking about, got the CBA rules wrong, and then tried to cover.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
What's going on? Did Parsons sign with Dallas?

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Yeah.  The Rockets aren't going to match, and won't get any compensation for him leaving.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline inverselock

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44
I'm not sure what is so great about Morey.   He was given Harden for nothing and he got Dwight as a FA.  What else has he done?

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Being a cynic:  Stein's source didn't know what he was talking about, got the CBA rules wrong, and then tried to cover.

I wouldn't be surprised.

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
I'm not sure what is so great about Morey.   He was given Harden for nothing and he got Dwight as a FA.  What else has he done?

Made those deals happen.

He messed up this summer tho.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Yeah.  The Rockets aren't going to match, and won't get any compensation for him leaving.

Ouch, Houston screwed up......

Offline inverselock

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44

Made those deals happen.

He messed up this summer tho.

Presti gave him Harden for nothing.  I call that luck. 

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
Any chance Houston could get Carlos Boozer is he's amnestied by the Bulls? They need to make a move, big time.
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I don't get why the Rockets honestly let Parsons walk away. He was a huge part of their success in the post season. If Harden had stepped up in the first two games of the playoffs without shooting nothing but bricks, Parsons/Howard would be the only players on the team willing a comeback. Same goes for Jeremy Lin, and its pretty messed up that they treated him the way they did...

I do think the Harden trade wasn't gifted, I do think if anything Morey probably sold Presti on the Harden deal, by being a great negotiator. Morey and Ainge are the leagues best GM's, and its not surprising to see their still ranked pretty favorably throughout the league.

I was a little negative or sad on Ainge for not being able to pull in Love, but maybe its just not meant to be.

Either way Parsons will probably have a great year, and provide the 3 point shooting and defense while being a team player is invaluable. The Mavericks had one of the worst defenses in the league, and in most games the Mavs were able to win games purely through outscoring other teams.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Correct me if I'm wrong:

Houston had Parsons with a team option for about a million, and decided not to pick that up making him a free agent? Why wouldn't they have just picked up the option!?

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Correct me if I'm wrong:

Houston had Parsons with a team option for about a million, and decided not to pick that up making him a free agent? Why wouldn't they have just picked up the option!?
Correct.

The catch is as follows: if they picked the option, he's UFA next season. Otherwise, he's RFA this season. They gambled, and lost (it seems). Unless they match, of course.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--rockets-will-decline-chandler-parsons--option-making-him-a-restricted-free-agent-022721563-nba.html
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."