Author Topic: Chandler Parsons agrees to 3-year, $46 million deal with Dallas Mavericks  (Read 32311 times)

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine
Sources say Mavs & Rockets talking  potential sign-&-trade that would create trade exception for Houston. But Dallas gets Parsons either way

Didn't Parsons already officially sign the sheet?  I thought that once he did that, sign-and-trades weren't allowed to the team that signed him.

I'm not really clear on that rule. I thought the same myself, not sure who his sources are.

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
OK, here's the loop-hole:

Mavs and Rockets CAN execute sign-and-trade by mutually canceling offer sheet and then executing new deal at Parsons' agreed-upon salary

If I were Parson's I'd take the money and run, don't trust Morey!

Offline TheBig3

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 18
Wow. So the Rockets lost Parsons, Lin, and Asik and have only Trevor Ariza to show for it. Huge downgrade for them this summer.

So instead of taking the celtics offer last year of

Brandon Bass and Courtney Lee and a future protected first-round pick

for asik , The rockets had to ship off draft picks and as mentioned have Ariza to show for it

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
OK, here's the loop-hole:

Mavs and Rockets CAN execute sign-and-trade by mutually canceling offer sheet and then executing new deal at Parsons' agreed-upon salary

If I were Parson's I'd take the money and run, don't trust Morey!

That seems like a weird loophole.  Isn't that circumventing the CBA?

Once you "cancel" an offer sheet, if the S&T falls through, can the player then sign an offer sheet with the same team?  With another team?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
Wow. So the Rockets lost Parsons, Lin, and Asik and have only Trevor Ariza to show for it. Huge downgrade for them this summer.

for asik , The rockets had to ship off draft picks and as mentioned have Ariza to show for it

Yep, and some people not too long ago were comparing Morey to Ainge. Not even close imo.

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Rockets and Mavericks have expressed willingness to try to hammer out a sign-and-trade IF league will allow them to do so. Might not happen

Rockets BELIEVE they can still execute sign-&-trade with Dallas on Parsons if both sides mutually agree. Seeking league approval as we speak

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Rockets and Mavericks have expressed willingness to try to hammer out a sign-and-trade IF league will allow them to do so. Might not happen

Rockets BELIEVE they can still execute sign-&-trade with Dallas on Parsons if both sides mutually agree. Seeking league approval as we speak

It's pretty much a joke if the league allows it.  Total circumvention of the rule.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

It's pretty much a joke if the league allows it.  Total circumvention of the rule.

Silver should fine them for even asking permission to do this. That would be great.

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38

Yep, and some people not too long ago were comparing Morey to Ainge. Not even close imo.

Morey's a very good GM.  I don't know if he's better than Ainge but you can definitely make an argument for it.  Sure, not all of his moves have worked out but his logic is usually sound.  Ainge has had plenty of moves backfire too, that's just the nature of the job. 

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Morey's a very good GM.  I don't know if he's better than Ainge but you can definitely make an argument for it.  Sure, not all of his moves have worked out but his logic is usually sound.  Ainge has had plenty of moves backfire too, that's just the nature of the job.

What has Morey really accomplished? Twice he went hard after Dwight Howard, finally put a team around him, and they got wrecked in the playoffs because it's a flawed team built around an innefiecient chucker in Harden and an immature center with no heart in Dwight Howard. Then Morey clears a number of good players from the roster to go after Bosh or Melo with no clear signs that either of them would come there. Now he's left with a significantly worse roster than the one that faired poorly in the playoffs last year.

In comparison, Ainge built a championship team that made it to the finals a few times and almost beat the Heat in the EC playoffs a few other times. Then he quickly changed gears in time and acquired a ton of assets to rebuild with. Not to mention he killed the Lakers dynasty by facilitating the Sheed trade to Detroit in the past and now killed the Miami dynasty by facilitating Lebron to Cleveland.

As for Morey, even Dumars looked good in his first couple of years.

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I think Morey has done a really impressive job. Morey showed early on he had a great eye for undervalued role players and was capable of building up his team's depth impressively. The big question was whether he could acquire star talent with his refusal to enter rebuilding process. He showed himself capable of that with Harden and Dwight.

Now Morey just needs some time to build back up the Rockets supporting cast. Something he has shown himself capable of in the past.

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

I think they got picks from NO and LAL.
Celtics fan for life.

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Got one from NO (unless something changed from then till now) but they sent one to LAL for taking Lin.

Offline green147

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17

Got one from NO (unless something changed from then till now) but they sent one to LAL for taking Lin.

They definitely came out behind this year. Guess that's what Morey gets for being notoriously callous with his roster.

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Yep, which basically cancel each other out.