Author Topic: Chandler Parsons agrees to 3-year, $46 million deal with Dallas Mavericks  (Read 32324 times)

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Parsons just finished his third year in the league.  Green just finished his 7th.
In his third season in the NBA (when he was 22), Jeff Green averaged 15 pts and 7 rpg playing with Westbrook and Durant. He had also come off a year where he shot .380 from three.

If someone wants to pay Chandler $15+ million per season ... well, it's their team's funeral, after all.
Right. So Jeff Green has tremendously regressed since then, got his pay day, and checked out.
No, he just had an open-heart surgery, and was asked to fill a role he was ill-suited for. And he still doesn't cost $15 million a season.
Starting small forward is a role he is ill-suited for? What is he supposed to be? 4th fiddle? A Toni Kukoc type roll?

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
Yeah, because Parsons has played with Howard his entire career. The rebounding is a wash (in fact, Parsons' career TRR is slightly lower). Parsons and Green are largely the same player.

Except for the fact that Parsons is a far better passer (he gets more assists than Green AND fewer turnovers. Both in terms of per game numbers and advanced metrics like assist/to %), gets more steals, commits fewer fouls, and shoots more efficiently across the board. But, yeah, the same player.

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
The funny thing is that Morey could've traded Asik last year to the Celtics... but he wanted to have his cake and eat it too, and it may just end up backfiring on him.

He seems to have wanted a pick that had a shot of being in the top ten.  I'm not sure Ainge was willing to give that up.

The bigger sticking point was that he didn't want to take on any contracts that were guaranteed into this season, which the Celtics would have needed to offer as they were limited by the hard cap.  If he had taken those contracts, he'd be trying to move Brandon Bass, Courtney Lee, or Jeff Green instead of Omer Asik to create room for his max player.

His potential error was in demanding too much in return from the Celtics to dump his contract to this offseason, when they would have been able to take it and not send salary back.  But that's only an error if the Pelicans deal falls through, because otherwise he's received the pick he wanted.

They could have used their trade exception, couldn't they? Even now they could trade Bogans and 2 of Babb/Pressey/Johnson, so we could make that trade today if necessary.

No, that's my point.  They couldn't have used trade exception, because they were bound by the hard cap (due to acquiring Bogans via a sign-and-trade), and at the time in December this deal was rumored, the Celtics were only about $3 million underneath, so using the TPE would not have been permissible.  The Celtics also wanted to get under the luxury tax, which is why they were willing to send Bass and Lee for Asik, as that would have done it.

Probably the Celtics could have sent Bogans and Crawford for Asik, but that would have moved the Celtics further into luxury tax territory, and wouldn't have helped the Rockets out at all for last year.  It certainly would have required a solid pick.

If the Pelicans' deal falls through now, could Boston still get Asik?  Ainge clearly isn't going to give up a 1st rounder and but would Morey be interested in something like Thornton/Bass if Parsons leaves?  Would Ainge even want Asik now with Zeller on board?

Mike

Yep you can, using our non-guaranteed contracts. Keith Bogans + 2 more.

If Morey is interested in Bass, then Bass + Bogans would be enough to make salaries match. The question is what else Houston might want, and also how that impacts the Celtics finances going forward (it would put them over the limit so that they become "tax payers" which they want to avoid).

Bass + Bogans would not put the Celtics in luxury tax territory.  Currently they are technically in the luxury tax by about $2 million.  Bass and Bogans count $12.2 mil against the cap, while Asik counts $8.4 million, so a $3.8 million difference.  This would take the C's out of taxpayer status.

The Celtics could also use Bogan+Johnson+Babb to match the salaries, but that would make the Celtics taxpayers, almost $4 million over the line, so little way to get under it easily.

I thought Asik (like Lin) had a funky backloaded deal that was around 14M in the final year. I see on shamsports its closer to 8. I trust shamsports, but why am I so wrong about this?
Celtics fan for life.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
The funny thing is that Morey could've traded Asik last year to the Celtics... but he wanted to have his cake and eat it too, and it may just end up backfiring on him.

He seems to have wanted a pick that had a shot of being in the top ten.  I'm not sure Ainge was willing to give that up.

The bigger sticking point was that he didn't want to take on any contracts that were guaranteed into this season, which the Celtics would have needed to offer as they were limited by the hard cap.  If he had taken those contracts, he'd be trying to move Brandon Bass, Courtney Lee, or Jeff Green instead of Omer Asik to create room for his max player.

His potential error was in demanding too much in return from the Celtics to dump his contract to this offseason, when they would have been able to take it and not send salary back.  But that's only an error if the Pelicans deal falls through, because otherwise he's received the pick he wanted.

They could have used their trade exception, couldn't they? Even now they could trade Bogans and 2 of Babb/Pressey/Johnson, so we could make that trade today if necessary.

No, that's my point.  They couldn't have used trade exception, because they were bound by the hard cap (due to acquiring Bogans via a sign-and-trade), and at the time in December this deal was rumored, the Celtics were only about $3 million underneath, so using the TPE would not have been permissible.  The Celtics also wanted to get under the luxury tax, which is why they were willing to send Bass and Lee for Asik, as that would have done it.

Probably the Celtics could have sent Bogans and Crawford for Asik, but that would have moved the Celtics further into luxury tax territory, and wouldn't have helped the Rockets out at all for last year.  It certainly would have required a solid pick.

If the Pelicans' deal falls through now, could Boston still get Asik?  Ainge clearly isn't going to give up a 1st rounder and but would Morey be interested in something like Thornton/Bass if Parsons leaves?  Would Ainge even want Asik now with Zeller on board?

Mike

If Morey is interested in Bass, then Bass + Bogans would be enough to make salaries match. The question is what else Houston might want, and also how that impacts the Celtics finances going forward (it would put them over the limit so that they become "tax payers" which they want to avoid).

Bass + Bogans would not put the Celtics in luxury tax territory.  Currently they are technically in the luxury tax by about $2 million.  Bass and Bogans count $12.2 mil against the cap, while Asik counts $8.4 million, so a $3.8 million difference.  This would take the C's out of taxpayer status.

The Celtics could also use Bogan+Johnson+Babb to match the salaries, but that would make the Celtics taxpayers, almost $4 million over the line, so little way to get under it easily.

I thought Asik (like Lin) had a funky backloaded deal that was around 14M in the final year. I see on shamsports its closer to 8. I trust shamsports, but why am I so wrong about this?

Shamsports is reporting the cap hit.  Due to the Gilbert Arenas rule, Lin and Asik have a cap hit each year for the average salary of their 3 year deal, but the first two years had a lower salary, and this year has a much higher salary.

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

Mike

Shamsports is reporting the cap hit.  Due to the Gilbert Arenas rule, Lin and Asik have a cap hit each year for the average salary of their 3 year deal, but the first two years had a lower salary, and this year has a much higher salary.

thanks, tp.
Celtics fan for life.

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Hayward and Parsons deals are making Jeff Greens contract look pretty good.

And makes it highly likely that Green will opt out next summer.
I'm guessing he'll get 12M per year, 4 years.
Celtics fan for life.

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Yeah, because Parsons has played with Howard his entire career. The rebounding is a wash (in fact, Parsons' career TRR is slightly lower). Parsons and Green are largely the same player.

Except for the fact that Parsons is a far better passer (he gets more assists than Green AND fewer turnovers. Both in terms of per game numbers and advanced metrics like assist/to %), gets more steals, commits fewer fouls, and shoots more efficiently across the board. But, yeah, the same player.
On a per-100-possessions basis, all these differences are negligible, except for assists. Sure, Parsons is probably more likely to be able to handle an expanded role at some point of his career, but the Mavs are paying as if it is a certainty. Their risk *shrug*.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA
Houston decided that the contract was too constraining to future roster building to keep Chandler Parsons. He goes to Mavs now.

Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA
Houston will not match the $46M Dallas offer sheet for Chandler Parsons, league source tells Yahoo Sports.

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Wow. So the Rockets lost Parsons, Lin, and Asik and have only Trevor Ariza to show for it. Huge downgrade for them this summer.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Wow. So the Rockets lost Parsons, Lin, and Asik and have only Trevor Ariza to show for it. Huge downgrade for them this summer.

Yep.  And the worst thing is, the Rockets could have kept Chandler on a minimum contract this year, but decided that they didn't want to risk losing him next year as an unrestricted free agent.

Morey outsmarted himself.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine
With three-year offer sheet to Parsons and opt-out after Year 2, Houston made internal decision it would only match if Bosh signed on, too

Structure of Chandler Parsons' offer sheet requested by agent Dan Fegan made matching deal too costly for Rockets once they missed on Bosh

Sources say Mavs & Rockets talking  potential sign-&-trade that would create trade exception for Houston. But Dallas gets Parsons either way

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Yep.  And the worst thing is, the Rockets could have kept Chandler on a minimum contract this year, but decided that they didn't want to risk losing him next year as an unrestricted free agent.

Morey outsmarted himself.

The "genius" at work!

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
Now lance stephenson is the next player teams will go after

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Sources say Mavs & Rockets talking  potential sign-&-trade that would create trade exception for Houston. But Dallas gets Parsons either way

Didn't Parsons already officially sign the sheet?  I thought that once he did that, sign-and-trades weren't allowed to the team that signed him.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
Now lance stephenson is the next player teams will go after

Hey, I am Bill Walton as well!  how cool is that!

About Lance.  Yeah, how pathetic is that?  Lance is too much of a wild card to invest loads of money on him.  Now, if he comes cheap, then why not.

Still, what he did on the court vs LeBron was kind of a turn off for me.  Not sure how much I want him on my team.  Perhaps for 4m/yr then will talk.....