Author Topic: Chandler Parsons agrees to 3-year, $46 million deal with Dallas Mavericks  (Read 32302 times)

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
This works:

Bogans, Johnson, Babb, Pressey (all unguaranteed) plus Courtney Lee Trade exception

for

Lin and Terrence Jones

Rockets can then sign Parsons and Bosh to their max deals.

Celts will have some work to do to get under the cap, but it is right in line with Ainge's last move collecting something for nothing. Plus, it would be a fun experiment to field a team with 10 good but not great PFs.

Doesn't work.  You can't combine the TPE with another trade, and (looking at it quickly) I don't think we can't use it to absorb either Lin or Jones' contracts in a concurrent deal right now.

Although I am partial to the idea of ALL POWER FORWARDS ALL THE TIME

It does work.  Lee exception for Jones and the unguaranteed contracts for Lin.

you can't combine tpe with players, even if they are non-guaranteed I believe

Correct, but what Saltlover's referencing is the fact that you can have two separate deals that happen at the same time involving a player and the TPE, respectively.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Well, finally someone in the national media went with the story that the Asik to the Pelicans trade is not as a done deal as it may have seemed. Been saying it all last week that the Pelicans didn't have the cap space to fit Asik, and mentioned that if the projections of salary cap came in slightly lower they might get screwed.
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/10/with-lower-than-expected-salary-cap-will-rockets-and-pelicans-still-complete-omer-asik-trade/

The trade could still happen, but you have to remind yourself that Houston is working against the clock here. Star players need to make decisions and soon, they're not going to wait around forever.

The funny thing is that Morey could've traded Asik last year to the Celtics... but he wanted to have his cake and eat it too, and it may just end up backfiring on him.

And now it seems like he'll either lose Parsons or end up overpaying him.

Morey is good, but he's been working on these like a pyramid scheme of sorts. Hard to maintain. But we'll see if he can pull it off.

It's why I started that thread last week about how the Celtics could manufacture cap space if willing, and how I envisioned the Celtics having a good shot as any of the teams going after max free-agents.

You can talk about the Bulls and Rockets, but the fact is that they were struggling quite a bit to actually have the required cap space. In part it's why the Lakers, even with their crappy current roster, had a better shot than these teams in getting Carmelo for example.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 10:47:49 AM by BudweiserCeltic »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The funny thing is that Morey could've traded Asik last year to the Celtics... but he wanted to have his cake and eat it too, and it may just end up backfiring on him.

He seems to have wanted a pick that had a shot of being in the top ten.  I'm not sure Ainge was willing to give that up.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

He seems to have wanted a pick that had a shot of being in the top ten.  I'm not sure Ainge was willing to give that up.

Yeah, no chance Ainge was matching that pick IMO.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

The bigger sticking point was that he didn't want to take on any contracts that were guaranteed into this season, which the Celtics would have needed to offer as they were limited by the hard cap.  If he had taken those contracts, he'd be trying to move Brandon Bass, Courtney Lee, or Jeff Green instead of Omer Asik to create room for his max player.

His potential error was in demanding too much in return from the Celtics to dump his contract to this offseason, when they would have been able to take it and not send salary back.  But that's only an error if the Pelicans deal falls through, because otherwise he's received the pick he wanted.

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

The bigger sticking point was that he didn't want to take on any contracts that were guaranteed into this season, which the Celtics would have needed to offer as they were limited by the hard cap.  If he had taken those contracts, he'd be trying to move Brandon Bass, Courtney Lee, or Jeff Green instead of Omer Asik to create room for his max player.

His potential error was in demanding too much in return from the Celtics to dump his contract to this offseason, when they would have been able to take it and not send salary back.  But that's only an error if the Pelicans deal falls through, because otherwise he's received the pick he wanted.

They could have used their trade exception, couldn't they? Even now they could trade Bogans and 2 of Babb/Pressey/Johnson, so we could make that trade today if necessary.

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Hmm, that's true. I forgot about the Bass aspect.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

They could have used their trade exception, couldn't they? Even now they could trade Bogans and 2 of Babb/Pressey/Johnson, so we could make that trade today if necessary.

No, that's my point.  They couldn't have used trade exception, because they were bound by the hard cap (due to acquiring Bogans via a sign-and-trade), and at the time in December this deal was rumored, the Celtics were only about $3 million underneath, so using the TPE would not have been permissible.  The Celtics also wanted to get under the luxury tax, which is why they were willing to send Bass and Lee for Asik, as that would have done it.

Probably the Celtics could have sent Bogans and Crawford for Asik, but that would have moved the Celtics further into luxury tax territory, and wouldn't have helped the Rockets out at all for last year.  It certainly would have required a solid pick.

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537
I am not sure if this has been posted yet, but it's a video of Parson's signing the contract offer from Dallas... at a nightclub... with Mark Cuban.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzqWW71EmBU&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzqWW71EmBU&feature=youtu.be

Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA  ·  1m
Dallas and Houston are discussing sign-and-trade scenarios for Chandler Parsons, league sources tell Yahoo. Offer sheet hasn't been signed.

Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA  ·  18s
Until Dallas delivers signed offer sheet to Houston, a sign-and-trade is possible for Chandler Parsons. Teams are discussing deals now.

And this is why teams threaten to match any offer sheet.  Don't be surprised if something similar happens with Utah and Charlotte for Hayward.

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
So how will this affect Bosh?

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
So how will this affect Bosh?

If there is a sign-and-trade, presumably it will be solely for draft pick compensation.  Parsons cap hold of $2.7 million will come off the books, freeing more cap space with which to sign Bosh, and reducing the requirement for Houston to trade away their players on rookie deals, like Jones and Motiejunas.  It means that a Houston team with Bosh would not have Parson, Lin, or Asik, but would be able to keep most/all of the rest of their depth.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA  ·  1m
Dallas and Houston are discussing sign-and-trade scenarios for Chandler Parsons, league sources tell Yahoo. Offer sheet hasn't been signed.

Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA  ·  18s
Until Dallas delivers signed offer sheet to Houston, a sign-and-trade is possible for Chandler Parsons. Teams are discussing deals now.

And this is why teams threaten to match any offer sheet.  Don't be surprised if something similar happens with Utah and Charlotte for Hayward.

"Parsons offer sheet was signed, just hasn't been delivered to the Rockets yet."

https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/487300735026335744
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA
Dallas delivered Chandler Parsons' $46M sheet to Houston, ending sign-and-trade talks, source tells Yahoo. Rockets have three days to match.

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

No, that's my point.  They couldn't have used trade exception, because they were bound by the hard cap (due to acquiring Bogans via a sign-and-trade), and at the time in December this deal was rumored, the Celtics were only about $3 million underneath, so using the TPE would not have been permissible.  The Celtics also wanted to get under the luxury tax, which is why they were willing to send Bass and Lee for Asik, as that would have done it.

Probably the Celtics could have sent Bogans and Crawford for Asik, but that would have moved the Celtics further into luxury tax territory, and wouldn't have helped the Rockets out at all for last year.  It certainly would have required a solid pick.

If the Pelicans' deal falls through now, could Boston still get Asik?  Ainge clearly isn't going to give up a 1st rounder and but would Morey be interested in something like Thornton/Bass if Parsons leaves?  Would Ainge even want Asik now with Zeller on board?

Mike