Author Topic: Chandler Parsons agrees to 3-year, $46 million deal with Dallas Mavericks  (Read 32301 times)

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I hope Ainge gets in on this and grabs Motiejunas for some of our non-guaranteed salary.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Gotta say, I'm surprised Parsons would sign this offer sheet knowing the predicament it puts Houston in. He's basically saying he doesn't care what is best for the team,he just wants his money.

Can't necessarily blame him for that, it's a lot of money, but I have to think he could have gotten an offer like this even if he had just waited for Houston to sort out the Bosh situation. Can't imagine Morey is happy about this.
They have three days to sort it out. So he's given them 10 days to figure it out. Eventually you have to take care of yourself when it comes to your career. He's been paid very little the past 3 years given his productive output so he deserves a nice payday for that and what he'll do in the future. Meanwhile don't think for a second that Morey wouldn't low-ball him if the markets cap spaced dried up while he waited around for them to make "the big move".

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Larry Coon @LarryCoon
So let's do some math. Suppose Houston dumps Lin & Asik with $0 coming back. They renounce Daniels, Garcia & Hamilton. They waive Casspi

Larry Coon @LarryCoon
...Beverley, Covington & Powell. They keep QO to Parsons & Capela's draft rights. They have Dwight, Harden, Jones, Motiejunas & Canaan.

Larry Coon @LarryCoon
..With that configuration, they can give Bosh $16,427,992. Pretty short of his $20,644,400 max.

Larry Coon @LarryCoon
So let's renounce Capela & Parsons. Cap room rises to $19,279,451. STILL short of a max offer, and they don't have rights to Parsons.

Larry Coon @LarryCoon
To keep Parsons' rights & still sign Bosh to max, they have to dump another $3,732,744 in guaranteed salary. That's Jones AND Motiejunas.

Larry Coon @LarryCoon
So to get Bosh at max AND keep Parsons, Daryl Morey just needs to dump Asik, Lin, Jones AND Motiejunas with no salary coming he other way,

Larry Coon @LarryCoon
...along with throwing overboard everything that's not bolted down.

Thought you guys might find that exercise interesting.
They already moved Asik to the Pelicans... so all they really have to do is just dump Lin on a team with cap space like Philly... and they will give up Jones/Monte as the bonus for taking on Lin's expiring contract.

Not much different from the Boston deal today where we got Zeller and a 1st for taking on Thornton's contract.  In-fact, I bet Danny would have taken on Lin, but he was probably nervous about waiting... since the TPE expires on Saturday.  Also, from a financial perspective, Lin's cap hit is about the same as Thornton's, but the team that takes on Lin actually has to pay him a lot more money due to his whacky contract. 

So you'll see a team like Suns, Philly or Utah take on Lin + Monte + Jones.

In-fact, my guess is that the Lakers are the team that take on the contracts.  They could certainly use Lin + jones.

Edit:  Actually according to Philly's blog, it will be Lin + a 1st to Philly. http://www.libertyballers.com/2014/7/9/5885973/sixers-rockets-jeremy-lin-trade-chris-bosh

Miami isn't offering Bosh the max currently, so my guess is that Houston isn't offering quite the max either.  I'd still imagine they need to send at least Donatas and Jones somewhere, however, and you'd have to believe Beverly has too much value to be waived for nothing.  Capela is already under contract in Europe, so his cap hold goes away without the Rockets renouncing him.

We can fit either Donatas or Jones under the Courtney Lee TPE -- I think Jones will be the more expensive of the two.  Donatas for a 2nd round pick?  Maybe Miami's in 2016?

Also, I love Larry Coon, and I will probably be struck by lightning for questioning him, but I think he's got some numbers wrong.  Someone please correct me as needed.  Salary numbers taken from shamsports (since virtually all of Houston's players were signed to max deals, minimum deals, or are on rookie contracts, these numbers are likely 100% accurate, since you can just calculate them from the CBA.)

Salary cap: $63.065 million.  They renounce all free agents except Parsons, keep Beverly, release all their other non-guaranteed contracts, and Capela stays in France so doesn't count against the cap:

Dwight Howard -- $21,436,271
James Harden -- $14,728,844
Terrence Jones -- $1,618,860
Donatas Motiejunas - $1,483,920
Isaiah Canaan - $816,482
Patrick Beverly - $915,243
Chandler Parsons (cap hold) - $1,760,350
4 cap holds for empty roster spots - $507,336 each

This leaves $18,275,686 for Bosh in year 1.  This is below the max, but it's a bit more than Coon gets to.  If they dump Donatas, they're up to $19,252,270.  If they dump Jones and Canaan as well, they're at the max for Bosh, with a roster of Beverly, Harden, Parsons, Bosh, and Howard.  They fill it out with the the room exception and minimum contracts.  True definition of a stars and scrubs roster.

If they dump Motiejunas and Canaan, and keep Beverly, pretty much the Rockets get to choose between keeping Jones or keeping Parsons.  Parsons is more expensive, but I think he makes more sense to a roster with Chris Bosh.

If not mistaken Parsons has a cap hold around $2.5 million, that might be your difference.

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Larry Coon @LarryCoon
So let's do some math. Suppose Houston dumps Lin & Asik with $0 coming back. They renounce Daniels, Garcia & Hamilton. They waive Casspi

Larry Coon @LarryCoon
...Beverley, Covington & Powell. They keep QO to Parsons & Capela's draft rights. They have Dwight, Harden, Jones, Motiejunas & Canaan.

Larry Coon @LarryCoon
..With that configuration, they can give Bosh $16,427,992. Pretty short of his $20,644,400 max.

Larry Coon @LarryCoon
So let's renounce Capela & Parsons. Cap room rises to $19,279,451. STILL short of a max offer, and they don't have rights to Parsons.

Larry Coon @LarryCoon
To keep Parsons' rights & still sign Bosh to max, they have to dump another $3,732,744 in guaranteed salary. That's Jones AND Motiejunas.

Larry Coon @LarryCoon
So to get Bosh at max AND keep Parsons, Daryl Morey just needs to dump Asik, Lin, Jones AND Motiejunas with no salary coming he other way,

Larry Coon @LarryCoon

They already moved Asik to the Pelicans... so all they really have to do is just dump Lin on a team with cap space like Philly... and they will give up Jones/Monte as the bonus for taking on Lin's expiring contract.

Not much different from the Boston deal today where we got Zeller and a 1st for taking on Thornton's contract.  In-fact, I bet Danny would have taken on Lin, but he was probably nervous about waiting... since the TPE expires on Saturday.  Also, from a financial perspective, Lin's cap hit is about the same as Thornton's, but the team that takes on Lin actually has to pay him a lot more money due to his whacky contract. 

In-fact, my guess is that the Lakers are the team that take on the contracts.  They could certainly use Lin + jones.

Edit:  Actually according to Philly's blog, it will be Lin + a 1st to Philly. http://www.libertyballers.com/2014/7/9/5885973/sixers-rockets-jeremy-lin-trade-chris-bosh

Miami isn't offering Bosh the max currently, so my guess is that Houston isn't offering quite the max either.  I'd still imagine they need to send at least Donatas and Jones somewhere, however, and you'd have to believe Beverly has too much value to be waived for nothing.  Capela is already under contract in Europe, so his cap hold goes away without the Rockets renouncing him.

We can fit either Donatas or Jones under the Courtney Lee TPE -- I think Jones will be the more expensive of the two.  Donatas for a 2nd round pick?  Maybe Miami's in 2016?

Also, I love Larry Coon, and I will probably be struck by lightning for questioning him, but I think he's got some numbers wrong.  Someone please correct me as needed.  Salary numbers taken from shamsports (since virtually all of Houston's players were signed to max deals, minimum deals, or are on rookie contracts, these numbers are likely 100% accurate, since you can just calculate them from the CBA.)

Salary cap: $63.065 million.  They renounce all free agents except Parsons, keep Beverly, release all their other non-guaranteed contracts, and Capela stays in France so doesn't count against the cap:

Isaiah Canaan - $816,482

This leaves $18,275,686 for Bosh in year 1.  This is below the max, but it's a bit more than Coon gets to.  If they dump Donatas, they're up to $19,252,270.  If they dump Jones and Canaan as well, they're at the max for Bosh, with a roster of Beverly, Harden, Parsons, Bosh, and Howard.  They fill it out with the the room exception and minimum contracts.  True definition of a stars and scrubs roster.

If they dump Motiejunas and Canaan, and keep Beverly, pretty much the Rockets get to choose between keeping Jones or keeping Parsons.  Parsons is more expensive, but I think he makes more sense to a roster with Chris Bosh.

If not mistaken Parsons has a cap hold around $2.5 million, that might be your difference.
That's where I'm getting a bit confused on this so I'm hoping someone can clarify something for me.  Now that Parsons has signed an offer sheet, isn't that the amount of his cap hold since he cannot be resigned for his QO amount any longer?

That was always my understanding of how cap holds work --> a cap hold is either a player's QO if that's in play OR the amount of their last contract if they're a FA without a QO OR the amount of a contract offer from another team that the player has signed and the player's original team has not renounced the player's rights.

TP to the person who can set me straight on the rules.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Larry Coon @LarryCoon

Larry Coon @LarryCoon

Larry Coon @LarryCoon

Larry Coon @LarryCoon

Larry Coon @LarryCoon

Larry Coon @LarryCoon

Larry Coon @LarryCoon

Isaiah Canaan - $816,482

Thanks.  Shamsports had that wrong -- I just learned about the starter criteria for second round restricted free agents!  My cap nerd score just increased.  Not sure I calculated it correctly, but I think that his cap hold and qualifying offer are about $2.7 million, so a million more than I have in the table above.All of this makes me wonder how Houston (or NBA reporters close to Houston) ever could have believed that they had the capability to make a max offer to Bosh and keep Parsons.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
That's where I'm getting a bit confused on this so I'm hoping someone can clarify something for me.  Now that Parsons has signed an offer sheet, isn't that the amount of his cap hold since he cannot be resigned for his QO amount any longer?

That was always my understanding of how cap holds work --> a cap hold is either a player's QO if that's in play OR the amount of their last contract if they're a FA without a QO OR the amount of a contract offer from another team that the player has signed and the player's original team has not renounced the player's rights.

His cap hold remains the 2.7 million until the offer is matched. So a RFA doesn't cost a team cap space until they actually match the offer.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Larry Coon @LarryCoon

Larry Coon @LarryCoon

Larry Coon @LarryCoon

Larry Coon @LarryCoon

Larry Coon @LarryCoon

Larry Coon @LarryCoon

Larry Coon @LarryCoon

Isaiah Canaan - $816,482

That is how it works if you're up against the hard cap.  If you're going against the soft cap, the offer sheet is a cap hold for the team making the offer (for the three days that the other team has to match) but the hold for his original team is the greater of the qualifying offer (which tripped me up) or his free agency amount (which is based off the player's prior salary, whether he is a Bird, Early Bird, or Non-Bird free agent, and whether or not he made above or below the average salary the prior year).  The amount I have above is Parson's free agency amount, which is about a million less than his qualifying offer, and is where I went astray.

Offline YoungOne87

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 65
well I rather pay bradley 8 mil. than the max to parsons or hayward...

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Thanks.  Shamsports had that wrong -- I just learned about the starter criteria for second round restricted free agents!  My cap nerd score just increased.  Not sure I calculated it correctly, but I think that his cap hold and qualifying offer are about $2.7 million, so a million more than I have in the table above.All of this makes me wonder how Houston (or NBA reporters close to Houston) ever could have believed that they had the capability to make a max offer to Bosh and keep Parsons.

Wishful thinking.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline smiggity

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 3
This works:

Bogans, Johnson, Babb, Pressey (all unguaranteed) plus Courtney Lee Trade exception

for

Lin and Terrence Jones

Rockets can then sign Parsons and Bosh to their max deals.

Celts will have some work to do to get under the cap, but it is right in line with Ainge's last move collecting something for nothing. Plus, it would be a fun experiment to field a team with 10 good but not great PFs.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
This works:

Bogans, Johnson, Babb, Pressey (all unguaranteed) plus Courtney Lee Trade exception

for

Lin and Terrence Jones

Celts will have some work to do to get under the cap, but it is right in line with Ainge's last move collecting something for nothing. Plus, it would be a fun experiment to field a team with 10 good but not great PFs.

Doesn't work.  You can't combine the TPE with another trade, and (looking at it quickly) I don't think we can't use it to absorb either Lin or Jones' contracts in a concurrent deal right now.

Although I am partial to the idea of ALL POWER FORWARDS ALL THE TIME
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline smiggity

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 3

Doesn't work.  You can't combine the TPE with another trade, and (looking at it quickly) I don't think we can't use it to absorb either Lin or Jones' contracts in a concurrent deal right now.

Thanks. Forgot about that. Got carried away with the PF dream. Will have to find another way.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
This works:

for

Lin and Terrence Jones

It does work.  Lee exception for Jones and the unguaranteed contracts for Lin.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
This works:

for

Lin and Terrence Jones

The dream lives on.

Wouldn't that have to be done before officially signing Bradley (I know Smart's already signed) to the 32/4, or is that just a sign that I need another cup of coffee?

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
This works:

for

Lin and Terrence Jones

you can't combine tpe with players, even if they are non-guaranteed I believe