Author Topic: Chandler Parsons agrees to 3-year, $46 million deal with Dallas Mavericks  (Read 32220 times)

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/234202/Chris-Bosh-To-Sign-With-Rockets-If-LeBron-Leaves

The Houston Rockets have a standing offer of four years and $88 million to Chris Bosh, but that situation became more problematic with news of Chandler Parsons' three-year, $45 million offer sheet agreement with the Dallas Mavericks.

The Rockets can match Parsons' contract and still afford Bosh, but only if they sign Bosh first.

The Rockets would need to complete their trade of Omer Asik, along with another deal involving Jeremy Lin.

Bosh is waiting on LeBron James to make a decision before moving forward, but will sign with the Rockets should James leave the Heat.

See bolded text.  Seriously?  How does that work??  They only have 22 mil in cap space... how do they sign Bosh to 22 mil per year and then match Parsons making 15 mil a year???

Because they are using cap space for Bosh, and RFA status to match Parsons thanks to his crazy small cap hold.

Sign Parsons to his new deal first, and much of the cap space is used up.

Wow... most people in this thread had it all wrong.

Rockets will sign Bosh to a max deal and then match Parsons.   Nice team they have going there. 

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/234202/Chris-Bosh-To-Sign-With-Rockets-If-LeBron-Leaves

The Houston Rockets have a standing offer of four years and $88 million to Chris Bosh, but that situation became more problematic with news of Chandler Parsons' three-year, $45 million offer sheet agreement with the Dallas Mavericks.

The Rockets can match Parsons' contract and still afford Bosh, but only if they sign Bosh first.

The Rockets would need to complete their trade of Omer Asik, along with another deal involving Jeremy Lin.

Bosh is waiting on LeBron James to make a decision before moving forward, but will sign with the Rockets should James leave the Heat.

See bolded text.  Seriously?  How does that work??  They only have 22 mil in cap space... how do they sign Bosh to 22 mil per year and then match Parsons making 15 mil a year???

Because they are using cap space for Bosh, and RFA status to match Parsons thanks to his crazy small cap hold.

Rockets will sign Bosh to a max deal and then match Parsons.   Nice team they have going there.

I doubt it. That's too much salary. Better off letting Parsons go and filling out the roster with other moves.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I doubt it. That's too much salary. Better off letting Parsons go and filling out the roster with other moves.

What other moves?  If they sign Bosh they're pretty much down to minimum salary offers, and the room exception.  If they sign Bosh and retain Parsons, they have the same restrictions.

Interestingly, if Houston signs Bosh and matches Parsons, they will have the potential to blow past not only the salary cap, but into the luxury tax, and possibly even above the apron if they use the room exception.  I didn't think you could create enough room for a max free agent and wind up that far over the salary cap, but Houston's found a way.

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
And I may be wrong, but wouldn't that be against the CBA rules?  I'm assuming to clear enough space to sign Bosh they'd need to renounce their right for Parsons, right?

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
PG - Beverly
SG - Harden
SF - Parsons
PF - Bosh
C - Dwight

Heck of a team.  They also have Terrence Jones off the bench... he's arguably got a bit more trade value than SUllinger... so they could probably use him to upgrade the PG position if they need to. 

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • GOT IT!!!
Houston are in pickle no doubt about it. Tying up all that cap space and not addressing their biggest need, defense.

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • GOT IT!!!
Cuban trolled Houston HARD with this.

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
And I may be wrong, but wouldn't that be against the CBA rules?  I'm assuming to clear enough space to sign Bosh they'd need to renounce their right for Parsons, right?

Nope. Parsons' rights can be retained via a cap hold of less than $2 mil, thanks to his crazy cheap salary last season.

http://data.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/rockets.jsp

This is precisely why the Rockets declined a team option on him earlier this summer. By making him a RFA, they can do exactly what they're doing.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
Howard+Bosh = more target practice for LaMarcus in preparation for Timmy.lol

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Larry Coon @LarryCoon
So let's do some math. Suppose Houston dumps Lin & Asik with $0 coming back. They renounce Daniels, Garcia & Hamilton. They waive Casspi

Larry Coon @LarryCoon
...Beverley, Covington & Powell. They keep QO to Parsons & Capela's draft rights. They have Dwight, Harden, Jones, Motiejunas & Canaan.

Larry Coon @LarryCoon
..With that configuration, they can give Bosh $16,427,992. Pretty short of his $20,644,400 max.

Larry Coon @LarryCoon
So let's renounce Capela & Parsons. Cap room rises to $19,279,451. STILL short of a max offer, and they don't have rights to Parsons.

Larry Coon @LarryCoon
To keep Parsons' rights & still sign Bosh to max, they have to dump another $3,732,744 in guaranteed salary. That's Jones AND Motiejunas.

Larry Coon @LarryCoon
So to get Bosh at max AND keep Parsons, Daryl Morey just needs to dump Asik, Lin, Jones AND Motiejunas with no salary coming he other way,

Larry Coon @LarryCoon
...along with throwing overboard everything that's not bolted down.

Thought you guys might find that exercise interesting.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Larry Coon @LarryCoon
So let's do some math. Suppose Houston dumps Lin & Asik with $0 coming back. They renounce Daniels, Garcia & Hamilton. They waive Casspi

Larry Coon @LarryCoon
...Beverley, Covington & Powell. They keep QO to Parsons & Capela's draft rights. They have Dwight, Harden, Jones, Motiejunas & Canaan.

Larry Coon @LarryCoon
..With that configuration, they can give Bosh $16,427,992. Pretty short of his $20,644,400 max.

Larry Coon @LarryCoon
So let's renounce Capela & Parsons. Cap room rises to $19,279,451. STILL short of a max offer, and they don't have rights to Parsons.

Larry Coon @LarryCoon
To keep Parsons' rights & still sign Bosh to max, they have to dump another $3,732,744 in guaranteed salary. That's Jones AND Motiejunas.

Larry Coon @LarryCoon
So to get Bosh at max AND keep Parsons, Daryl Morey just needs to dump Asik, Lin, Jones AND Motiejunas with no salary coming he other way,

Larry Coon @LarryCoon

They already moved Asik to the Pelicans... so all they really have to do is just dump Lin on a team with cap space like Philly... and they will give up Jones/Monte as the bonus for taking on Lin's expiring contract.

Not much different from the Boston deal today where we got Zeller and a 1st for taking on Thornton's contract.  In-fact, I bet Danny would have taken on Lin, but he was probably nervous about waiting... since the TPE expires on Saturday.  Also, from a financial perspective, Lin's cap hit is about the same as Thornton's, but the team that takes on Lin actually has to pay him a lot more money due to his whacky contract. 

So you'll see a team like Suns, Philly or Utah take on Lin + Monte + Jones.

In-fact, my guess is that the Lakers are the team that take on the contracts.  They could certainly use Lin + jones.

Edit:  Actually according to Philly's blog, it will be Lin + a 1st to Philly. http://www.libertyballers.com/2014/7/9/5885973/sixers-rockets-jeremy-lin-trade-chris-bosh
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 03:17:28 AM by LarBrd33 »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Larry Coon @LarryCoon

Larry Coon @LarryCoon

Larry Coon @LarryCoon

Larry Coon @LarryCoon

Larry Coon @LarryCoon

Larry Coon @LarryCoon

Larry Coon @LarryCoon

They already moved Asik to the Pelicans... so all they really have to do is just dump Lin on a team with cap space like Philly... and they will give up Jones/Monte as the bonus for taking on Lin's expiring contract.

Not much different from the Boston deal today where we got Zeller and a 1st for taking on Thornton's contract.  In-fact, I bet Danny would have taken on Lin, but he was probably nervous about waiting... since the TPE expires on Saturday.  Also, from a financial perspective, Lin's cap hit is about the same as Thornton's, but the team that takes on Lin actually has to pay him a lot more money due to his whacky contract. 

In-fact, my guess is that the Lakers are the team that take on the contracts.  They could certainly use Lin + jones.

Edit:  Actually according to Philly's blog, it will be Lin + a 1st to Philly. http://www.libertyballers.com/2014/7/9/5885973/sixers-rockets-jeremy-lin-trade-chris-bosh

All fine an dandy until the player they're pursuing is going to make a decision of where he's going, and if you haven't cleaned-up your financials and there's still uncertainty of if you'll be able to accomplish it then chances are you're not going to land the player you desire.

And a little tid-bit from Asik, he can't be traded to the Pelicans yet. The Pelicans don't have the cap space to fit Asik. They need to trade Austin Rivers, so until that happens, Asik can't be moved. And with the salary cap being slight lower than projected (really a minimal amount), it makes things a bit harder.

And honestly, if I'm New Orleans I would definitely be reconsidering sending a first round pick for a player that Houston is desperately trying to get rid of.

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Gotta say, I'm surprised Parsons would sign this offer sheet knowing the predicament it puts Houston in. He's basically saying he doesn't care what is best for the team,he just wants his money.

Can't necessarily blame him for that, it's a lot of money, but I have to think he could have gotten an offer like this even if he had just waited for Houston to sort out the Bosh situation. Can't imagine Morey is happy about this.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Larry Coon @LarryCoon

Larry Coon @LarryCoon

Larry Coon @LarryCoon

Larry Coon @LarryCoon

Larry Coon @LarryCoon

Larry Coon @LarryCoon

Larry Coon @LarryCoon

Miami isn't offering Bosh the max currently, so my guess is that Houston isn't offering quite the max either.  I'd still imagine they need to send at least Donatas and Jones somewhere, however, and you'd have to believe Beverly has too much value to be waived for nothing.  Capela is already under contract in Europe, so his cap hold goes away without the Rockets renouncing him.

We can fit either Donatas or Jones under the Courtney Lee TPE -- I think Jones will be the more expensive of the two.  Donatas for a 2nd round pick?  Maybe Miami's in 2016?

Also, I love Larry Coon, and I will probably be struck by lightning for questioning him, but I think he's got some numbers wrong.  Someone please correct me as needed.  Salary numbers taken from shamsports (since virtually all of Houston's players were signed to max deals, minimum deals, or are on rookie contracts, these numbers are likely 100% accurate, since you can just calculate them from the CBA.)

Salary cap: $63.065 million.  They renounce all free agents except Parsons, keep Beverly, release all their other non-guaranteed contracts, and Capela stays in France so doesn't count against the cap:

Dwight Howard -- $21,436,271
James Harden -- $14,728,844
Terrence Jones -- $1,618,860
Donatas Motiejunas - $1,483,920
Isaiah Canaan - $816,482
Patrick Beverly - $915,243
Chandler Parsons (cap hold) - $1,760,350
4 cap holds for empty roster spots - $507,336 each

This leaves $18,275,686 for Bosh in year 1.  This is below the max, but it's a bit more than Coon gets to.  If they dump Donatas, they're up to $19,252,270.  If they dump Jones and Canaan as well, they're at the max for Bosh, with a roster of Beverly, Harden, Parsons, Bosh, and Howard.  They fill it out with the the room exception and minimum contracts.  True definition of a stars and scrubs roster.

If they dump Motiejunas and Canaan, and keep Beverly, pretty much the Rockets get to choose between keeping Jones or keeping Parsons.  Parsons is more expensive, but I think he makes more sense to a roster with Chris Bosh.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Gotta say, I'm surprised Parsons would sign this offer sheet knowing the predicament it puts Houston in. He's basically saying he doesn't care what is best for the team,he just wants his money.

Can't necessarily blame him for that, it's a lot of money, but I have to think he could have gotten an offer like this even if he had just waited for Houston to sort out the Bosh situation. Can't imagine Morey is happy about this.

I'm betting Morey wouldn't commit to the max deal Parsons got.  Seems like Parsons gave him his chance, but with teams apparently signing contracts with funny money this offseason, can't blame Parsons for cashing in.  He gave them borderline all-star production last year at the minimum salary.  Houston's investment in him long since paid off.  It was a calculated risk to decline Parsons' option, and he still may wind up on Houston.  C'est la vie.