Author Topic: Chandler Parsons agrees to 3-year, $46 million deal with Dallas Mavericks  (Read 32221 times)

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Where does Shawn Marion play now, position-wise?

I think Shawn Marion is a free agent.

I didn't realize that.  I was more so asking what kind of role he'd have on Dallas next year, before you pointed that out.  I don't think Marion would like coming off the bench.

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Parsons gets offer from Dallas, so Houston makes offer to Dirk. Love it.

Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA  ·  16m

Chandler Parsons will make $5 million more than Dirk Nowitzki, who coincidentally, has a standing offer for a max deal with the Rockets.

Since there is no legit nastiness on the court anymore at least we get to see it between front offices. The new nba rivalry system

Eh, this has been done before.  Don't you guys remember when McHale was rumored to be going to the Knicks as a free agent in 1983 and Red signed Marvin Webster, Sly Williams, and someone else to maximum offer sheets, just so New York wouldn't even have the financial flexibility needed to sign Kevin?  Good ole Red ;D  McHale wasn't going anywhere anyway.

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Seems odd, because Houston didn't need to make him a restricted free agent.  THey could have hung onto him for another year at tiny money and then had his bird rights when he reached unrestricted free agency next year.

Here's the money situation now as I see it.

Dwight = 21.4 mil
Harden = 14.7 mil
Jones = 1.6 mil
Montiejunas = 1.5 mil
Beverly = 915k
Canaan = 816k

They have Lin on the books, but they can easily dump him on a team if they give up a 1st (like the Thornton deal today)

Total = around 41 mil...

So they had about 22 mil in cap space.    If they match Parsons they now only have about 7 mil in cap space.

If they match Parsons, can they include him in a sign-and-trade or are they unable to trade him for a specified period of time?
I believe their thinking was that they would try to talk him into waiting to sign an offer sheet so that they could add Bosh before bringing back Parsons. I bet Parsons was on board, that is until the Mavericks offered him $15 MM

The good news for the Celtics? If Parsons gets this no way Green opts-in, in 2015
That's an interesting take, but Parsons is significantly better/younger/more efficient than Green.

What's the negative side?... can the match and send Parsons to the WOlves for Love?

No. If he signs the offer sheet, either they match and keep him or decline to match and let him go to Dallas. If Houston matches they can trade him after December 15th (I believe) but couldn't trade him to Dallas for a full year.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Parsons is going to be a really good third option offensively after Dirk and Ellis. The offensive punch of that trio is something else. Tyson Chandler back to take care of the interior defense and rebounding. Dallas getting interesting (again).

Offline DrewVig

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 0
It's amazing how some of these deals are coming out. Parsons for 15 million a year? I guess if you got no other FA coming to you than you have to overpay for a mid-level starter.

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Parsons is going to be a really good third option offensively after Dirk and Ellis. The offensive punch of that trio is something else. Tyson Chandler back to take care of the interior defense and rebounding. Dallas getting interesting (again).
Agreed. Not quite contenders, but they'll make it tough on other teams.
Celtics fan for life.

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
I bet Houston doesnt match. Parsons getting paid.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
If Houston doesn't match and Bosh or Melo doesn't come, I say they go after Luol Deng
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Offline beklog

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 64
I bet Houston doesnt match. Parsons getting paid.

Yeah... HOU need the cap space for Melo/Bosh...
Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light… I just take pictures…

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
How does this guy not get more than Hayward?

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If they match Parsons, can they include him in a sign-and-trade or are they unable to trade him for a specified period of time?

You cannot sign-and-trade a restricted free agent who has signed an offer sheet.  If they match, he can't be traded until December 15.  For the first year of his contract, he can't be traded without his consent and he cannot be traded to Dallas at all during that first year.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Wow...15mil per? Yeah you can have him for that dallas.

I don't care what people say, Jeff Green is on a bargain deal with the way people are being paid! Is Parsons worth $5m more per yr than Green?!

No he's not.  Jeff green ticks me off to no end but if he can give us at least 50% quality games this year, I'll be happy.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
How does this guy not get more than Hayward?

Presumably he's getting the same as Hayward, but for one year less.  Approximately $46 million is the max for three years.  Hayward has an option for the fourth year, so when all is said and done, they might make the identical amounts.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/234202/Chris-Bosh-To-Sign-With-Rockets-If-LeBron-Leaves

The Houston Rockets have a standing offer of four years and $88 million to Chris Bosh, but that situation became more problematic with news of Chandler Parsons' three-year, $45 million offer sheet agreement with the Dallas Mavericks.

The Rockets can match Parsons' contract and still afford Bosh, but only if they sign Bosh first.

The Rockets would need to complete their trade of Omer Asik, along with another deal involving Jeremy Lin.

Bosh is waiting on LeBron James to make a decision before moving forward, but will sign with the Rockets should James leave the Heat.

See bolded text.  Seriously?  How does that work??  They only have 22 mil in cap space... how do they sign Bosh to 22 mil per year and then match Parsons making 15 mil a year???

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/234202/Chris-Bosh-To-Sign-With-Rockets-If-LeBron-Leaves

The Houston Rockets have a standing offer of four years and $88 million to Chris Bosh, but that situation became more problematic with news of Chandler Parsons' three-year, $45 million offer sheet agreement with the Dallas Mavericks.

The Rockets can match Parsons' contract and still afford Bosh, but only if they sign Bosh first.

The Rockets would need to complete their trade of Omer Asik, along with another deal involving Jeremy Lin.

Bosh is waiting on LeBron James to make a decision before moving forward, but will sign with the Rockets should James leave the Heat.

See bolded text.  Seriously?  How does that work??  They only have 22 mil in cap space... how do they sign Bosh to 22 mil per year and then match Parsons making 15 mil a year???

Because they are using cap space for Bosh, and RFA status to match Parsons thanks to his crazy small cap hold.

Sign Parsons to his new deal first, and much of the cap space is used up.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague