Author Topic: Chandler Parsons agrees to 3-year, $46 million deal with Dallas Mavericks  (Read 32322 times)

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
wait a second... the Rockets didn't match?   What the...??

I need to catch up on this thread.  That makes no freaking sense.  They could have just had him under contract next year for pennies.   So what if he would been UFA... he was a very valuable trade chip.   And the "they didn't want him to become a UFA" argument kinda goes out the window when they refuse to match him as a RFA, right?  What in the heck is the reasoning behind that?  Why didn't they match?

Too much money to commit to a complementary player once they realized Bosh wasn't coming. That's per Woj, I think, but it might have been Stein.
Yup, once the offer sheet came out at $15+ million (!), it is a no-brainer they wouldn't match. I think they were hoping someone will offer $12 million over 4, or something along these lines.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
wait a second... the Rockets didn't match?   What the...??

I need to catch up on this thread.  That makes no freaking sense.  They could have just had him under contract next year for pennies.   So what if he would been UFA... he was a very valuable trade chip.   And the "they didn't want him to become a UFA" argument kinda goes out the window when they refuse to match him as a RFA, right?  What in the heck is the reasoning behind that?  Why didn't they match?

Too much money to commit to a complementary player once they realized Bosh wasn't coming. That's per Woj, I think, but it might have been Stein.
Yup, once the offer sheet came out at $15+ million (!), it is a no-brainer they wouldn't match. I think they were hoping someone will offer $12 million over 4, or something along these lines.
Exactly.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
"Honestly, I was offended by the whole process," Parsons told Yahoo! Sports on Monday. "They publicly said that they were going out looking for a third star when I thought they had one right in front of them. I guess that's just how they viewed me as a player. I don't think I've scratched the surface of where I can be as a player and I think I'm ready for that role.

"You can't knock them for always trying to get better. [Houston general manager] Daryl Morey is very aggressive, is a genius, a great GM and I have nothing but respect for those guys. And they are looking to make their team better. That's what they were doing. I just thought I could be that guy that could do that."

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/11215503/offended-chandler-parsons-says-houston-rockets-misplayed-hand

Interesting bit of insight when it comes to a situation like Parsons -- and, looking at our own team, a situation like Ray Allen's, and why someone might choose to play elsewhere.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
"Honestly, I was offended by the whole process," Parsons told Yahoo! Sports on Monday. "They publicly said that they were going out looking for a third star when I thought they had one right in front of them. I guess that's just how they viewed me as a player. I don't think I've scratched the surface of where I can be as a player and I think I'm ready for that role.

"You can't knock them for always trying to get better. [Houston general manager] Daryl Morey is very aggressive, is a genius, a great GM and I have nothing but respect for those guys. And they are looking to make their team better. That's what they were doing. I just thought I could be that guy that could do that."

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/11215503/offended-chandler-parsons-says-houston-rockets-misplayed-hand

Interesting bit of insight when it comes to a situation like Parsons -- and, looking at our own team, a situation like Ray Allen's, and why someone might choose to play elsewhere.
Post-factum rationalization is a wonderful thing, but it seems to me that the may reason why he chose to play elsewhere were the $45 million bucks.

This has nothing to do with Ray Allen, who had full control over where he wanted to play.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Post-factum rationalization is a wonderful thing, but it seems to me that the may reason why he chose to play elsewhere were the $45 million bucks.

This has nothing to do with Ray Allen, who had full control over where he wanted to play.

I don't think Parson has any legitimacy to be offended. The REAL fact is that the Rockets didn't pick a team option up that would severely underpay him.

I don't know, if even for one year, they could've had a bit more patience with Houston given that they at least gave him the opportunity to earn big money sooner than it should've been.

That said, Morey miscalculated the move.

In the end Parsons should be grateful that he can know earn a boatload of money.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

You don't think that Morey's rather cavalier attitude towards Parsons was one of the reasons he left (even if, and I agree, it was reason number 45,000,001)?

edit: Also fun, apparently Cubes went out of his way to totally bone the Rockets if they had matched:
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/mavericks/post/_/id/4702760/rockets-gm-parsons-deal-one-of-most-untradeable-ever
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
You don't think that Morey's rather cavalier attitude towards Parsons was one of the reasons he left (even if, and I agree, it was reason number 45,000,001)?
Parsons left because the Rockets didn't match. It's that simple.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
That's how restricted free agency works, yes. Thank you. 'Left' has emotional overtones beyond set and setting. ;)

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I think he should be grateful. They gave him a chance, and turned down paying him under a mil this year. Even if it was for other reasons, Parsons should be grateful.

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
That's how restricted free agency works, yes. Thank you. 'Left' has emotional overtones beyond set and setting. ;)
He choose to take the most money that was offered, and had no control over whether he was leaving or not. He might want to tack whatever emotional overtones he wishes to it after the fact, I take them with a grain of salt.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Fair 'nuff.

From that article:
"They didn't want me to wait for Bosh. They didn't want me to wait for Melo. They came forward first."

They referring to the Mavericks.

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Fair 'nuff.

From that article:
"They didn't want me to wait for Bosh. They didn't want me to wait for Melo. They came forward first."

Maybe this tickles Parsons' ego, but it's likely just due to the fact that the Mavericks realized early on they weren't getting any of those guys.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
Fair 'nuff.

From that article:

Maybe this tickles Parsons' ego, but it's likely just due to the fact that the Mavericks realized early on they weren't getting any of those guys.
Yeah and whether Parsons signed, first, second, or third on the Mavericks would have no bearing on whether or not Dallas could sign those guys.  In Houston it mattered.  Parsons had to sign after Houston brought in another free agent for Houston to be able to sign said free agent using cap space.

That said if houston wanted Parsons they could have gone to him early and said, we will sign you to a 3 or 4 year contract at 13 million a year, just let us try to sign someone else first while we have cap space and none of this might have happened as Parsons might have been cool with that.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip