Author Topic: Chandler Parsons agrees to 3-year, $46 million deal with Dallas Mavericks  (Read 32327 times)

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Seems odd, because Houston didn't need to make him a restricted free agent.  THey could have hung onto him for another year at tiny money and then had his bird rights when he reached unrestricted free agency next year.

Here's the money situation now as I see it.

Dwight = 21.4 mil
Harden = 14.7 mil
Jones = 1.6 mil
Montiejunas = 1.5 mil
Beverly = 915k
Canaan = 816k

They have Lin on the books, but they can easily dump him on a team if they give up a 1st (like the Thornton deal today)

Total = around 41 mil...

So they had about 22 mil in cap space.    If they match Parsons they now only have about 7 mil in cap space.

If they match Parsons, can they include him in a sign-and-trade or are they unable to trade him for a specified period of time?

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Wow...15mil per? Yeah you can have him for that dallas.

I don't care what people say, Jeff Green is on a bargain deal with the way people are being paid! Is Parsons worth $5m more per yr than Green?!

If Parsons is better than Green, it's only slightly. This is a huge overpay, but at least it makes Boston's deal with Green look like a steal.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Wow...15mil per? Yeah you can have him for that dallas.

I don't care what people say, Jeff Green is on a bargain deal with the way people are being paid! Is Parsons worth $5m more per yr than Green?!

While I get your point, Parsons is better than Jeff Green, if only for the reason that he always plays aggressively.  He's a much better passer as well, and doesn't need a 'rebounding incentive' written into his contract ::) 

Now, having said all of that, is he worth $46 million over 3 years?  Absolutely not, but $46 million is like toilet paper to Mark Cuban.  Where does Shawn Marion play now, position-wise?

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Wow Dirk is going to be making 2/3 of Parsons salary next year, that's just Bizarre....

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Parsons is a fine player, and I think he's a notch or two better than Green, but he's not THAT good.  This is some combination of 

A:Dallas missing out on the big FAs again and throwing their cap space whereever it'll stick, and

B: Dallas assuming Houston's missing out too and hoping to force them to commit their cap space to Parsons or have a huge hole at the wing.

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Seems odd, because Houston didn't need to make him a restricted free agent.  THey could have hung onto him for another year at tiny money and then had his bird rights when he reached unrestricted free agency next year.

Dwight = 21.4 mil
Harden = 14.7 mil
Jones = 1.6 mil
Montiejunas = 1.5 mil
Beverly = 915k
Canaan = 816k

They have Lin on the books, but they can easily dump him on a team if they give up a 1st (like the Thornton deal today)

Total = around 41 mil...

So they had about 22 mil in cap space.    If they match Parsons they now only have about 7 mil in cap space.

If they match Parsons, can they include him in a sign-and-trade or are they unable to trade him for a specified period of time?
I believe their thinking was that they would try to talk him into waiting to sign an offer sheet so that they could add Bosh before bringing back Parsons. I bet Parsons was on board, that is until the Mavericks offered him $15 MM

The good news for the Celtics? If Parsons gets this no way Green opts-in, in 2015

I'm curious if Houston decides to match and forgoes bringing in Bosh. If LeBron leaves and Parsons re-signs where does Bosh go?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 07:29:51 PM by Evantime34 »
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline 317

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 25

Dwight = 21.4 mil
Harden = 14.7 mil
Jones = 1.6 mil
Montiejunas = 1.5 mil
Beverly = 915k
Canaan = 816k

Total = around 41 mil...

I believe their thinking was that they would try to talk him into waiting to sign an offer sheet so that they could add Bosh before bringing back Parsons. I bet Parsons was on board, that is until the Mavericks offered him $15 MM

The good news for the Celtics? If Parsons gets this no way Green opts-in, in 2015

TP for the silver lining.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Dwight = 21.4 mil
Harden = 14.7 mil
Jones = 1.6 mil
Montiejunas = 1.5 mil
Beverly = 915k
Canaan = 816k

Total = around 41 mil...

That's an interesting take, but Parsons is significantly better/younger/more efficient than Green.

What's the negative side?... can the match and send Parsons to the WOlves for Love?

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

Dwight = 21.4 mil
Harden = 14.7 mil
Jones = 1.6 mil
Montiejunas = 1.5 mil
Beverly = 915k
Canaan = 816k

Total = around 41 mil...

That was my first thought too. With Hayward And Parsons getting bonkers contracts, Green might be opting out next summer.

Then we will really have some cap space to work with!

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Teams are starting to get nasty! I like it!

Charlotte has thrown some barbed wire around Gordon's contract offer with that trade kicker on top of the overpay.

Dallas is taking a stab at their division rival's plan to overload their talent this summer with a Bosh pickup and a Parson's restricted deal.

Cleveland and Miami are making eachother sweat.

Same goes for LA vs NY with Anthony.

Indiana is getting nervous about the suitors getting ready to line up for Lance Stephenson as their plan B (or C).

And we haven't gotten to Pau, Bledsoe, Monroe, Pierce or Ariza yet.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Dwight = 21.4 mil
Harden = 14.7 mil
Jones = 1.6 mil
Montiejunas = 1.5 mil
Beverly = 915k
Canaan = 816k

Total = around 41 mil...

There's no way Green opts in next year, but it's not the silver lining you see it as.  Green's likelihood of opting out suppresses his trade value, as he's now seen as a 1-year rental.  Only to a segment of Celtics fans who can't wait for Green to go is this actually good news.  In terms of providing long-term value, this is not a good thing.

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Parsons gets offer from Dallas, so Houston makes offer to Dirk. Love it.

Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA  ·  16m

Chandler Parsons will make $5 million more than Dirk Nowitzki, who coincidentally, has a standing offer for a max deal with the Rockets.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

That's an interesting take, but Parsons is significantly better/younger/more efficient than Green.

Good enough to spend just under 25% of your cap space on?

This is why Ainge gave Bradley the money he did as quickly as he did.  You gonna tell me some team wasn't going to wind up offering him 9 or 10 mil a year?

Mike

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Where does Shawn Marion play now, position-wise?

I think Shawn Marion is a free agent.

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Parsons gets offer from Dallas, so Houston makes offer to Dirk. Love it.

Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA  ·  16m

Chandler Parsons will make $5 million more than Dirk Nowitzki, who coincidentally, has a standing offer for a max deal with the Rockets.

Since there is no legit nastiness on the court anymore at least we get to see it between front offices. The new nba rivalry system