Author Topic: Taking a Closer Look: Tyler Zeller  (Read 6209 times)

Re: Taking a Closer Look: Tyler Zeller
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2014, 11:16:22 PM »

Offline MichaelJ

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 3
If his weaknesses are that he's not physically strong, not imposing defensively, or has limited upside, Im not worried about him at all.  In fact I think this could be a steal for us.  He has true NBA center size, can add strength and work on his defense.  Plus, his per 36min #'s were almost 14 ppg and 10 rpg.  If he can get more playing time and develop just a bit more, we might have a steal on our hands, a cheap, young C that we got for practically nothing.  He might never be a star but I get the sense he can be a heckuva support player.

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2014, 11:28:07 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I am more than happy about us picking up Tyler.  He instantly becomes the best center on the roster and he is young, has some talent, and is on a reasonable deal.  What is there not to like?
Oh yeah we could have gotten nothing out of the trade exception, I guess some would have preferred that.

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2014, 11:30:39 PM »

Offline nacceltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
I think he does nothing but get better with Rondo dishing the rock to him...Really like the pickup, especially considering it cost the C's NOTHING.

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2014, 01:24:47 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Strengths

*runs the floor well
*good passer for a center
*great touch around the hoop with either hand (shot 65% from 0-3ft)
*nice mid-range game (shot 52% from 10-16ft)
*solid athlete

All works well with Brad Steven's offense.

I hope he is better than our last NC big, Eric Montross.
That's what I was thinking as well. He seems like a very good fir in Brad Stevens' system. Apparently, Stevens recruited hard after the other Zeller brothers as well. He could be a nice little hidden gem here.

So what are we doing here, then?  Assembling the Butler dream team in the NBA? ::)  You should never acquire through trades or draft players because they 'fit in someone's system,' imho.  There's no proof that Stevens' 'system' will even work in the pros.  He's only been a coach for one year!  I just always thought that this was a no-brainer - the coach decides upon a style of play based on the type of players on the team's roster, taking advantage of their respective skill-sets to allow both the players and the team to thrive.  Did I miss a memo somewhere?
That's dumb thing to say. No, clearly we aren't assembling a Butler dream team. There are no Butler players on this team. Ainge gave Stevens a 6 year deal to coach the Celtics. You don't think the coach is going to look for players that he feels will excel in his "system"/coaching philosophy? It makes sense. No? Obviously, superior talent wins in the NBA but the Celtics don't have any of that at the moment. I think if the Celtics had a James or Durant on the team it might be just a little different. But selecting players based on fit is important. Just ask the San Antonio Spurs.

Oh, I agree that fit is important, but not at the expense of talent, imo.  I liked Stevens earlier in the season, especially his use of the trap, which no one seems to utilize anymore, but it's not like his 'system' has proven to be a winning one.  I liked part of the offense at times when they would actually exploit a mismatch (gasp.  I couldn't believe what I was witnessing), but for the most part, his offense was just pick and roll and a ton of three pointers, and it was horrible to watch, quite honestly.  Your big guys should be inside.  Every time they take a three pointer it bales out the defense, imho.

so success in college doesnt prove enough for you, because his style of coaching has been proven to be successful.  Did you not like the Stevens hire then??

I just think if you bring a coach in, you DO think his brand of basketball can be successful, and you help build the team with players that fit that brand of basketball. 

The Philadelphia Eagles situation with Chip Kelley is very similar to Stevens.  Youre bringing in a guy whos only had success at the college level, but when you bring him in, you bring him in to play HIS type of game, with HIS type of players.  He sacrificed talent for the good of his system.

I'm not saying that success in college is worthless or anything like that, because his record at Butler was extremely impressive.  Rather, what I'm saying is that it may not translate to the next level.  I thought it was an odd hire, quite honestly, although I must admit that I was concerned about his ability to succeed offensively after watching that title 'game' between Butler and Uconn that easily set the sport back at least 30 years haha.  It was atrocious, and don't try to tell me that it was great defense by both teams - if they're both missing easy and wide open shots, something is wrong with their respective offenses, imho. 

Honestly, I wasn't sure what to expect from Stevens, but I like his temperament and ability to make adjustments on the fly, as well as his use of the trap, but his offense needs a complete overhaul in my view.  Yes, we're rebuilding, but we shouldn't have been so putrid so many times offensively.  I do think that he has a bright future and that his style of play can lead to success, but I don't like the idea of 'building around a coach,' if that makes any sense. 

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2014, 01:30:15 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I wonder how Zeller will do as compared to Asik over the next few years.

Considering he's currently being paid about 1/10th of Asik's contract, I'd say pretty well...at least from a value standpoint!

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2014, 02:24:50 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I wish we could flip Zeller for Bismac Biyombo. I forget the rule right now, but what cba scenario would we be able to flip any of the players that we just agreed to receive?

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2014, 02:42:18 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
So what are we doing here, then?  Assembling the Butler dream team in the NBA? ::)  You should never acquire through trades or draft players because they 'fit in someone's system,' imho.  There's no proof that Stevens' 'system' will even work in the pros.  He's only been a coach for one year!  I just always thought that this was a no-brainer - the coach decides upon a style of play based on the type of players on the team's roster, taking advantage of their respective skill-sets to allow both the players and the team to thrive.  Did I miss a memo somewhere?

No, you are a fan, nobody sends you memos.