Author Topic: Taking a Closer Look: Tyler Zeller  (Read 6237 times)

Taking a Closer Look: Tyler Zeller
« on: July 09, 2014, 04:10:34 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
The next great Celtics big man has arrived!

Just kidding. Although he'll never sniff an all-star game, Tyler Zeller is an intriguing young center.

I'm going to be taking a closer look at Big Ty (my first crack at a nickname), starting with a season review for 2013-2014 courtesy of NBA.com

Zeller had a solid rookie season, appearing in 77 games – including 55 starts – with averages of 7.9 points and 5.7 boards per contest. He joined his 2012 Draft classmate Dion Waiters in the Rising Stars Challenge at All-Star Weekend in Houston, was named to the All-Rookie Second Team and was selected to play – along with Waiters and Kyrie Irving – in the U.S. National Team mini-camp in Las Vegas this summer.

But it was tougher sledding as a sophomore. Looking to be one of the first bigs off the bench heading into 2013-14, Zeller’s season got off to a tough start. He injured his hip in the Wine and Gold Scrimmage and, even before the preseason had wrapped up, was forced to undergo an emergency appendectomy after he was diagnosed with acute appendicitis.

Zeller struggled as he tried to work himself into shape at the start of the season, failing to score in six of his first games and finding himself outside the rotation – picking up 11 DNP-CD’s in a 15-game stretch from mid-November to late-December.

A pair of solid performances against Detroit and Chicago before the New Year put Zeller back on Brown’s radar, and he appeared in every game but one the rest of the way.

On January 28, the former Tar Heel got his first start of the season and didn’t waste the opportunity. With Anderson Varejao on the shelf with a left knee injury, Zeller turned in his best performance of the season, doubling up with 13 points and 10 rebounds in just 21 minutes of play. (That loss to New Orleans was also rookie Anthony Bennett’s coming-out party in 2013-14, with the No. 1 overall pick netting 15 points and eight boards off the bench.)

After two more starts, Zeller rejoined the second unit. But Varejao was sidelined with a sore back right before the All-Star Break and Zeller returned to the starting lineup. During that six-game stretch, Zeller improved on his previous best – tallying 18 points and 15 boards against Philly and notching 16 points and six boards the following night against Orlando. During those six starts, the Wine and Gold were 4-2.

That six-pack of games were the last Zeller would start last season, but the best was yet to come. He went 10-for-16 for 23 points against Houston in late March and finished the season with four straight double-digit scoring performances – including a 22-point effort on 9-for-11 shooting to close the campaign.

After struggling just to get healthy and into the rotation at the beginning of the season, Zeller closed out 2013-14 in style and hopefully gained some momentum and confidence heading into his third year as a pro.

Strengths

*runs the floor well
*good passer for a center
*great touch around the hoop with either hand (shot 65% from 0-3ft)
*nice mid-range game (shot 52% from 10-16ft)
*solid athlete

Weaknesses

*not physically strong
*not an imposing defensive force
*relatively limited upside

Other notable statistics
-Had a 58 TS% last season
-7.9 points, 5.7 rebounds, .9 blocks in 24.6 mpg last season
-24 years old
-7'1" tall
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Re: Taking a Closer Look: Tyler Zeller
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 04:20:06 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Strengths

*runs the floor well
*solid athlete

All works well with Brad Steven's offense.

I hope he is better than our last NC big, Eric Montross.

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 04:25:15 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Strengths

*runs the floor well
*solid athlete

That's what I was thinking as well. He seems like a very good fir in Brad Stevens' system. Apparently, Stevens recruited hard after the other Zeller brothers as well. He could be a nice little hidden gem here.

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 04:33:01 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Strengths

*runs the floor well
*solid athlete

That's what I was thinking as well. He seems like a very good fir in Brad Stevens' system. Apparently, Stevens recruited hard after the other Zeller brothers as well. He could be a nice little hidden gem here.

Yeah, that was actually one of the first things I thought about when I heard this today.

Stevens lauded both Zeller brothers with heaps of praise.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 07:50:03 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1553
Strengths

*runs the floor well
*solid athlete

yikes!!!!! don't remind me.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 07:54:43 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
If we can get his scoring up this year with Rondo and Smart feeding him, he'll be a great trade piece next year, even if he is mediocre at best

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 08:05:54 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Strengths

*runs the floor well
*solid athlete

So what are we doing here, then?  Assembling the Butler dream team in the NBA? ::)  You should never acquire through trades or draft players because they 'fit in someone's system,' imho.  There's no proof that Stevens' 'system' will even work in the pros.  He's only been a coach for one year!  I just always thought that this was a no-brainer - the coach decides upon a style of play based on the type of players on the team's roster, taking advantage of their respective skill-sets to allow both the players and the team to thrive.  Did I miss a memo somewhere?

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 08:23:25 PM »

Offline TeamGreen.dm

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9
  • here comes Banner 18
Strengths

*runs the floor well
*solid athlete

So what are we doing here, then?  Assembling the Butler dream team in the NBA? ::)  You should never acquire through trades or draft players because they 'fit in someone's system,' imho.  There's no proof that Stevens' 'system' will even work in the pros.  He's only been a coach for one year!  I just always thought that this was a no-brainer - the coach decides upon a style of play based on the type of players on the team's roster, taking advantage of their respective skill-sets to allow both the players and the team to thrive.  Did I miss a memo somewhere?

Am I the only one whose seeing more burnt toilet paper rather than "fireworks" in which I got my hopes up for.
"I am not going to back down from any challenge. Like I said, you are going to have to prove to me. I am a fighter; I will keep fighting and will never give up." Marcus Smart

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 08:26:18 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
I think Tyler is going to fit in well. Given his size and athleticism, I fail to see why he can't become a decent defender. Plumless (Mason) has similar measurements with a bit more standing reach. Seems to be there is some molding to be done to get TZ to become a good two way player.

His vertical is the same as Dwight Howard?? (according to DraftExpress)

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 08:29:55 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Strengths

*runs the floor well
*solid athlete

Am I the only one whose seeing more burnt toilet paper rather than "fireworks" in which I got my hopes up for.

I am positive you're not the only one, but the off-season is nowhere near over so I think most of us are reserving judgement.

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 08:32:47 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Strengths

*runs the floor well
*solid athlete

If Danny hired Brad thinking that his style of coaching can be successful in the NBA, then why not acquire players that fit the mold hes looking for??  It makes more sense than bringing in a bunch of guys that dont fit a style that your coach is accustomed to.

We see plenty of other coaches do it when they come in and I think it would make a rookie coach more comfortable to let him coach the way hes been successful with in the past, whether its college or pro.
Greg

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 08:34:05 PM »

Offline TeamGreen.dm

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9
  • here comes Banner 18
Strengths

*runs the floor well
*solid athlete

I am positive you're not the only one, but the off-season is nowhere near over so I think most of us are reserving judgement.

The moves we've made all seem to be part of a longer rebuild which I guess i had an inkling of knowing that was a possibility but I really didn't expect it I guess. With the East being so weak I just see it as the best time to make a serious push. Especially since the Heat are likely to disband
"I am not going to back down from any challenge. Like I said, you are going to have to prove to me. I am a fighter; I will keep fighting and will never give up." Marcus Smart

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 09:18:41 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Strengths

*runs the floor well
*solid athlete

1.)  Granted its a different sport but the Patriots have been going after players that fit their system for years, with great success
2.)  Im sure the target of this trade was the first round pick and the expiring contracts, Danny probably had a few choices of a throw in and chose Zeller because they were all equal and Zeller fits Brads Stevens
3.)  I agree with your thoughts for the most part, but if everything is equal go with the player that fits the coaches system best
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 09:24:29 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
1.)  Granted its a different sport but the Patriots have been going after players that fit their system for years, with great success
Basketball is more about who's got the biggest stars, and less about who's got players that "fit his system". I wouldn't use football templates in the NBA.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2014, 09:25:38 PM »

Offline NorthernLightning

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • zap
Basketball is more about who's got the biggest stars, and less about who's got players that "fit his system". I wouldn't use football templates in the NBA.

Did you miss the NBA Finals?