Author Topic: Tyler Z's most impressive measurable.  (Read 7728 times)

Re: Tyler Z's most impressive measurable.
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2014, 05:07:19 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Optimistic. Fast, good leaper, great height/weight, BBIQ . .. . the 7ft wingspan is small for his size but decent overall. Standing reach is abnormally low . ..  .maybe that needs a remeasure?

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2014, 05:11:53 PM »

Offline NorthernLightning

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • zap
sometimes at the Combine a prospect will try to measure out a short standing reach so that their vertical leap numbers look better.

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2014, 05:18:03 PM »

Offline hagar55voa

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 12
I live in Washington, Indiana where Tyler Zeller played high school ball...I watched all three brothers play their entire careers...Believe me when I tell you, Tyler is the best of the bunch...He will get better and better as his playing time increases...Cleveland wouldn't let him play all that much...

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2014, 05:22:55 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
standing vert won't make up for your short reach when a big man is posting you up.
and to add some more stats that have appeared elsewhere on cb....

the average nba center's standing reach is 9' 1.3".

tyler's standing reach is 8' 8.5", which, by the way, is shorter than olly's, sully's, or even bass'.

You've said this about 25 times.  We get it.

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2014, 05:49:12 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
On a rebuilding team, Zeller is an excellent get at center, when you consider he was a free pickup. The guy could run and finish like Chris Wilcox if Rondo is still running things here.

Plus he can shoot, and rebound OK.

He isn't a lengthy defender. No big deal. He is a backup.

For those who were salivating over Jordan Hill, i honestly think Zeller, Olynyk and Sully will be just as (in-)effective at the center spot on defense.

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2014, 06:05:16 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Olynyk - 6'10.75" height w/out shoes, 6'9.75" wingspan, 9' standing reach
Zeller - 6'11.25" height w/out shoes, 7' wingspan, 8'8.5" standing reach

So, Zeller is a half inch taller, has over a two inch advantage in wingspan, but his reach is three and half inches shorter?  Other than Zeller being part giraffe, does anyone have an explanation for this?

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2014, 06:10:26 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Olynyk - 6'10.75" height w/out shoes, 6'9.75" wingspan, 9' standing reach
Zeller - 6'11.25" height w/out shoes, 7' wingspan, 8'8.5" standing reach

So, Zeller is a half inch taller, has over a two inch advantage in wingspan, but his reach is three and half inches shorter?  Other than Zeller being part giraffe, does anyone have an explanation for this?

Broader shoulders for Zellar? Makes his wing span longer, but his actual arms raised are shorter? Just guessing ....

« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2014, 06:24:29 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
besides the fact that he's really talk at 6'11" and a quarter without shoes. Is that his no step vertical is 30". To give a point of reference Marcus smart had a 33" no step vertical which was tired for third out of all the players at the combine and the only guys to best smart were guys like m brown smarts teammate who had a mind blowing 44" max vertical. Also Dwayne Wade had a 31" no step vertical at his combine. So for a seven footer to jump 30" without needing any steps is nice. He does have a small wingspan though at only 7'. Oh well.
I am a UNC fan so I know his game fairly well.  He has good springs but his biggest asset in college was his speed and willingness to run the floor.  Used to get lots of easy baskets.

I'm sorry.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2014, 06:31:38 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
We have a great stable of horses to run run run.

I can't wait to see Rondo walk the ball up and pound it into the ground for 22 seconds.
you sir, nailed it  ;D
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2014, 06:45:04 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Broader shoulders for Zellar?

My son is 16 and 6'6" and his shoulders are just starting to grow and his wingspan is 6'6".   I am 46. 6'7" and have an 83.5" wingspan.  Our shoulders is the main difference, his are narrower than mine which are 28" across.

« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2014, 10:15:46 PM »

Offline 317

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 25
sometimes at the Combine a prospect will try to measure out a short standing reach so that their vertical leap numbers look better.

i have heard this several times before but do you have any examples of someone measuring substantially(2+ inches) better latter on?

« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2014, 10:50:09 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
Sorry, but I was hoping it was going to be something like, "his heart."

This post was much more CB friendly than I thought it'd be when I started reading it.

That made me laugh out loud

« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2014, 12:06:05 AM »

Offline wahz

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 101
tyler's standing reach is 8' 8.5", which, by the way, is shorter than olly's, sully's, or even bass'.
Couldn't care less. His max vertical is 3-4" inches more than Sullinger's and Olynyk's, and he has a 7'1 frame on which to put muscle so that he doesn't get pushed around. Where do I sign up?

This is easily the most positive thing I have ever seen you post. Things are looking up!

« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2014, 12:52:02 AM »

Offline e4e5sesame

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 11

I'm not saying you're wrong, because I have no intimate knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes at the combine. I will say that it makes little sense to me for an agent to advise his client to do what you're suggesting, particularly when he's a center prospect.

I think in evaluating a center, most NBA front offices are primarily concerned with the player's ability to protect the paint. While elite athleticism is certainly helpful when it comes to shot blocking, I think standing reach is far more important for shot alteration. Most of the time, the strong-side big man doesn't even jump on shot attempts at the rim, because the risk-reward just isn't in his favor when you factor in the potential for shooting fouls. So they usually just set their feet and raise their arms.

Then there's of course the fact that standing reach is a number that cannot be improved during the player's professional career, whereas vertical leap can be improved by several inches fairly easily, especially if the prospect is carrying extra fat and/or his muscles are underdeveloped.

All of this is to say that a standing reach under 9' is way more of a minus point on the scouting report than a standing vert over 30" is a bonus.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 01:03:02 AM by e4e5sesame »

« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2014, 02:18:11 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
standing vert won't make up for your short reach when a big man is posting you up.
and to add some more stats that have appeared elsewhere on cb....

the average nba center's standing reach is 9' 1.3".

You've said this about 25 times.  We get it.
Basically he has the same measurements as James Young lol. Just has a half an inch on the standing reach