Author Topic: Stephenson and Monroe  (Read 2829 times)

Stephenson and Monroe
« on: July 09, 2014, 12:43:35 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
If Melo, Bosh, LeBron, Kyrie, Love all get locked up - who is available?  (This summer or next summer?)  Why not trade some of these short term contracts and draft picks for the best two players that are actually available?

Even without trading Marcus Thornton, I think we have enough short term contracts, young players, and draft picks to get Lance Stephenson and Greg Monroe.  Their teams could sign them to contracts starting at 10.5 million each and trade them to us for:

Detroit-
-----------------
Bass 6.9 mil
Faverani 2.1 mil
James Young 1.5 mil
2 draft picks

Indiana -
---------------
Bogans 5.3 mil
Anthony 3.8 mil
Sullinger 1.4 mil
2 draft picks

We would have:

Rondo  Bradley
Lance  Smart   Thornton
Green   (Lance) Wallace
Monroe   Olynyk
(Ed Davis/MLE)  Zeller  Iverson

Smart would be the 6th man, with Lance being able to play some SF.  Bradley and Olynyk would be your 7th and 8th players.  This team could get away with Rondo, Smart, and Lance on the floor together in a small lineup with Green at PF and Monroe at C.  Thornton and Wallace would be available off the bench depending on the matchups. 

This may eat up a ton of future cap space, but keep in mind - Thornton is an expiring contract so he is tradeable at the trade deadline.  Next summer, Wallace would have only one year left so he would be easier to trade along with picks. 

Re: Stephenson and Monroe
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 12:53:36 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I don't see the other teams biting on this one.   Their value for our crap.

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 12:59:00 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
If Love and LeBron are in Cleveland we have no shot just move on from Rondo and rebuild for shot in 3 years time

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 01:23:37 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton

The idea is they dont want to lose them for nothing and they dont want to overpay them.  at he very least they would get a young player in Sullinger and Young, and 2 1st round picks.

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 02:45:10 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
2015 Free Agents.  Guys we could use Wallace/Thornton with draft picks at the deadline (or sign and trade next summer)  and try to trade for:

Al Jefferson
Paul Millsap
Marc Gasol
Rudy Gay
LaMarcus Aldridge
Andrea Bargnani
Omer Asik
DeAndre Jordan
Tristan Thompson (24) (R)
Derrick Williams (24) (R)
Bismack Biyombo (23) (R)
Enes Kanter (23) (R)
Enes Kanter (23) (R)

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 03:25:18 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33

exactly why would either team do this? 

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 03:39:11 PM »

Offline CM0

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24
The Celtics would be paying a premium due to timing and they still wouldn't have enough to win a championship. Wait one year and you can have your pick of Stephenson/Monroe types and you won't have to give up 5 first rounders + Sully (I'm considering Young to be a first-rounder given that he's yet to play).

They would give up all of their flexibility (salary + trade chips) to become a 2-4 seed.

That price would be too high for Love, and I'd rather just have Love and keep Green at the 3 and Zeller/KO/Fav at the 5 than have Lance + Monroe.

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 05:43:32 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
I would rather have Love too.  It sure looks like he is eventually gonna be in Cleveland.

So, trade for Stephenson and Monroe now - we have all those picks for a reason.

or....

Tank one more year and try to sign them next year.  Or DeAndre Jordan.  Or LaMarcus Aldridge.  Both Jordan and Aldridge will be difficult to sign.  Danny has proven it is easier to trade for a soon to be free agent than it is to sign him outright. 

The only benefit we get in waiting is we get a little better draft pick next year, and we dont give up Young and 4 more picks.  We cant draft 10 players in 5 years and play them all.  Gotta start packaging this stuff and get better.

We wait until next year, everyone will throw money at Aldridge and Jordan.  Then they will all be in a bidding war for Jefferson, Asik, Millsap, etc...

Maybe Danny and Brad have another tank year left in them, I just dont see it. 

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 05:48:10 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I would rather have Love too.  It sure looks like he is eventually gonna be in Cleveland.

So, trade for Stephenson and Monroe now - we have all those picks for a reason.

or....

Tank one more year and try to sign them next year.  Or DeAndre Jordan.  Or LaMarcus Aldridge.  Both Jordan and Aldridge will be difficult to sign.  Danny has proven it is easier to trade for a soon to be free agent than it is to sign him outright. 

The only benefit we get in waiting is we get a little better draft pick next year, and we dont give up Young and 4 more picks.  We cant draft 10 players in 5 years and play them all.  Gotta start packaging this stuff and get better.

We wait until next year, everyone will throw money at Aldridge and Jordan.  Then they will all be in a bidding war for Jefferson, Asik, Millsap, etc...

Maybe Danny and Brad have another tank year left in them, I just dont see it.

How far do you think Rondo/Stephenson/Greg gets you?

For some reason I don't see this team going far

also I don't see Lance meshing with Rondo

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 09:31:08 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
45 wins, maybe on the level of Washington or Toronto.  But, with more picks and the contracts of Thornton and Wallace still available, there is a chance to add another good big a year from now.

We could always sit still and be a 30-35 win team, get a better draft pick, and hope for laMarcus next year....but is that gonna get us anywhere?

What if at the deadline we went after Hibbert or Marc Gasol ???   Wallace/Zeller/2 draft picks?  What I'm saying is we can get better this summer and still go after Marc next summer.  We have 8 million draft picks to package together. 

A year from now:

M. Gasol.   E.  Davis
Monroe.  Olynyk
Green. (Lance)
Lance. Smart
Rondo. Bradley

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 11:06:18 AM »

Offline Rodan45

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
45 wins, maybe on the level of Washington or Toronto.  But, with more picks and the contracts of Thornton and Wallace still available, there is a chance to add another good big a year from now.

We could always sit still and be a 30-35 win team, get a better draft pick, and hope for laMarcus next year....but is that gonna get us anywhere?

What if at the deadline we went after Hibbert or Marc Gasol ???   Wallace/Zeller/2 draft picks?  What I'm saying is we can get better this summer and still go after Marc next summer.  We have 8 million draft picks to package together. 

A year from now:

M. Gasol.   E.  Davis
Monroe.  Olynyk
Green. (Lance)
Lance. Smart
Rondo. Bradley

I think I saw a quote from Lamarcus that said he wanted to be the best blazer of all time, so that might just burst that bubble.

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 11:47:37 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton

A year from now:

M. Gasol.   E.  Davis
Monroe.  Olynyk
Green. (Lance)
Lance. Smart
Rondo. Bradley

I think I saw a quote from Lamarcus that said he wanted to be the best blazer of all time, so that might just burst that bubble.

That's my point- LaMarcus ain't happening.

Stephenson and Monroe may be the best players we can get this year or NEXT year.

I have seen many proposals offering a young player, salary relief, and 2 picks for Kevin Love.  So why wouldn't that be enough for Stephenson or Monroe?  10-11 mil per would be a bargain for both players.

A year from now, we would still have enough assets to go after Marc Gasol.  Olynyk or Zeller, 2 more picks, and the contract of Wallace or Thornton.
2015-2016:

Gasol. Zeller
Monroe. Ed Davis
Green. (Lance)
Lance. Smart
Rondo. Bradley

That is a really good 9 man team.  6 draft picks, young, Olynyk, Sullinger are 9 assets but it's well worth it to turn them into 3 better ones- Gasol, Monroe, Stephenson.  Give up the Nets 2 picks, our 2015 pick, and 3 less valuable ones- Clippers, Cavs, Sixers.

Seriously what better options will we have a year from now?  Draft a decent player between 10-14, try to trade for Gasol only? 

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 11:52:02 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I honestly, see us tanking again.

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 06:49:31 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Love to add these 2 guys and upgrade our talent, prefer "Love" of course. If we could get Monroe Minny may be willing to make a swap with us.  ;D

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2014, 06:51:24 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33

The idea is they dont want to lose them for nothing and they dont want to overpay them.  at he very least they would get a young player in Sullinger and Young, and 2 1st round picks.

Monroe is a RFA so they can match anything...