Poll

What grade would you give Ainge and the Celtics for this trade?

A
B
C
D
F

Author Topic: Boston getting Tyler Zeller and 1st rounder from Cavs and Thorton from Nets  (Read 42402 times)

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Not sure if the 2nd rounder protection has been mentioned, but I just saw it for the first time just now:

Marc D'Amico ?@Marc_DAmico
The pick the Celtics are sending to Cleveland is top-55 protected in '15. Only way the Cavs get it is if C's are a top-5 team next season.
Yeah top 55 protection is standard for these sort of trades. Its the least valuable asset that is considered an "asset" for NBA trades. The NBA requires consideration on both sides of a trade.
Technically, the least valuable would be the draft rights to an obscure foreign player that's never making it to the NBA. The Cavs got a couple of those from Brooklyn in the trade.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Fav and Zeller just seem like complete duplicates of each other and neither is a starting caliber center.

Not complaining about the trade just couldn't help but think we already had a guy with the same skill set as Zeller, though with perhaps less overall upside.

Seriously?  Big difference between these guys.

Let's start off with - Undrafted Free Agent from Brazil vs 17th overall pick in the 2012 draft who played with a major program at UNC.

-Zeller is an athletic big man who runs the floor and is developing offensive skills near the basket but needs to improve his strength. 
-Faverani is the more physical big man but has shown very little offensive skills at the NBA level to date. 
-Zeller is 24 with room to develop. 
-Faverani is already 26 and might show incremental improvements but he probably is what he is.

Zeller scouting report:
http://www.nbadraft.net/players/tyler-zeller

Faverani scouting report:
"He has got an NBA frame and great wingspan. He is pretty athletic and likes to work on the defensive end of the floor. He has good feet and he is good in (pick-and-roll) defense.

"He is active, can block shots from the weak side and likes to bang. This is where his nickname "El Hombre Indestructible" comes from.

"On offense he is still raw, he is not selfish and has decent passing skills from the low post. He is good as a roller in pick and rolls. He was shooting threes decently three years ago in a weaker team, but not consistently enough to let him continue that in Valencia (a high level team).

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Not sure if the 2nd rounder protection has been mentioned, but I just saw it for the first time just now:

The pick the Celtics are sending to Cleveland is top-55 protected in '15. Only way the Cavs get it is if C's are a top-5 team next season.
Yeah top 55 protection is standard for these sort of trades. Its the least valuable asset that is considered an "asset" for NBA trades. The NBA requires consideration on both sides of a trade.
Technically, the least valuable would be the draft rights to an obscure foreign player that's never making it to the NBA. The Cavs got a couple of those from Brooklyn in the trade.

Whatever happened to the draft rights to Ben Pepper?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline spelz

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 13

Whatever happened to the draft rights to Ben Pepper?

Don't worry, we still own Pepper's draft rights.  We are waiting for him to hit 40 before we sign him.  :)

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

If they can be included in future trades they're probably more valuable for that than a protected draft pick that will expire.

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
As "throw-ins" go, he's a pretty good one with a chance to be a solid rotational big.
I don't think this is a throw-in. Ultimately, I think Zeller will be better than anything the Cleveland pick may produce.
Yeah, I haven't read anything yet but it's almost certain that the Cavs are only giving a top 14 protected first.  All we did was take on an expiring, it's not like we took on a bad contract or anything, and gaining Zeller already returns some of that.

And unless it's an unprotected pick we'll probably never even see it (unless LeBron actually goes back).
Its top 10 protected for 3 years and the unprotected in the fourth year.

We'll definitely see a pick form this deal. Probably within 2 years LeBron going there or not honestly.
Oh, sweet!  Great negotiating, Danny.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Reposting from another thread since it has a bit of relevance here as well:

Adrian Wojnarowski ?@WojYahooNBA
Cavs pressed Celtics/Nets officials to complete paperwork on 3-way trade in last hour, needed it done "immediately." Cap space is clear now.

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
The only color that matters is GREEN

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
The only color that matters is GREEN

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
It kinda sucks for us if this means Love goes to Cleveland but I'll be happy for McHale if he gets Bosh in Houston and will love watching Pat Riley flail around.  It also probably hurts the Lakers because it will take Love off the board for them, so there's that.

Mike

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Zeller scores 20 against KG....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ccqk87cBs7M

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

to be fair, a lot of guys scored 20 against KG the last couple of years

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Any chance that we might see him in the summerleague???
Lets not hype him up that much, he still has alot to prove. Some of you all is acting like we got Howard LOL ::)
Jack of all trades, master of none.

Offline NorthernLightning

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • zap
This is a youtube playlist of Tyler Zeller's highlights from like all 76 games he played in as a rookie. It's like an hour of Zeller NBA highlights, even if they are from his rookie season
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoDrtT-bVm_RUBjl0tOwVMZxnXhKwInGw

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

to be fair, a lot of guys scored 20 against KG the last couple of years

Come on, man.  Don't go throwing Garnett under the bus.