Poll

What grade would you give Ainge and the Celtics for this trade?

A
B
C
D
F

Author Topic: Boston getting Tyler Zeller and 1st rounder from Cavs and Thorton from Nets  (Read 42399 times)

Offline MISSERY

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 12
Plumlee.

do you think plumlee can last until 4th quarter without getting any fouls 4 or 5

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Offline NorthernLightning

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • zap
Plumlee.

do you think plumlee can last until 4th quarter without getting any fouls 4 or 5

The Russian zillionaire wanted the Russian kid, what is so complicated?

Offline MISSERY

• Jaylen Brown
Plumlee.

The Russian zillionaire wanted the Russian kid, what is so complicated?

johnson/anderson/brown/bogdanovic/karasev

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
I like Zeller.  I thought he was going to be better his rookie year but he battled injuries and even after 4 years of college, he still needed to get stronger.  One thing that's mystified me is how few chances he's gotten in the post  as a professional.  In UNC's double post offense, he lived on the block.  Even though he showed a soft outside touch, it seemed liked 90 percent of his shots were jump hooks with either hand.  I thought he would have to get stronger to establish better low post position but I never thought that that part of his game would be completely ignored.  It started in his first freaking Summer League last year when he went whole games without getting a single low post touch.  He was their freaking first round pick with Anthony Bennett out injured, how could he not be more involved?  I was baffled.

Zeller's got game.  He can shoot, I think he can post up, he can certainly run (one of the fastest bigs in the league) and in college anyway, he was very adept at taking charges.  It's easier to take charges in college because you don't have to leave the paint but with his agility and good basketball sense, I think he can carry that over to the NBA.  As "throw-ins" go, he's a pretty good one with a chance to be a solid rotational big. 

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
As "throw-ins" go, he's a pretty good one with a chance to be a solid rotational big.
I don't think this is a throw-in. Ultimately, I think Zeller will be better than anything the Cleveland pick may produce.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline MISSERY

• Jaylen Brown
zeller is better than joel anthony colton iverson vitor faverani

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
zeller is better than joel anthony colton iverson vitor faverani
Robert Parish RIGHT NOW is better than those 3
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
As "throw-ins" go, he's a pretty good one with a chance to be a solid rotational big.
I don't think this is a throw-in. Ultimately, I think Zeller will be better than anything the Cleveland pick may produce.
Yeah, I haven't read anything yet but it's almost certain that the Cavs are only giving a top 14 protected first.  All we did was take on an expiring, it's not like we took on a bad contract or anything, and gaining Zeller already returns some of that.

And unless it's an unprotected pick we'll probably never even see it (unless LeBron actually goes back).
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Yeah, I haven't read anything yet but it's almost certain that the Cavs are only giving a top 14 protected first.  All we did was take on an expiring, it's not like we took on a bad contract or anything, and gaining Zeller already returns some of that.

And unless it's an unprotected pick we'll probably never even see it (unless LeBron actually goes back).
Its top 10 protected for 3 years and the unprotected in the fourth year.

We'll definitely see a pick form this deal. Probably within 2 years LeBron going there or not honestly.

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

Its top 10 protected for 3 years and the unprotected in the fourth year.

We'll definitely see a pick form this deal. Probably within 2 years LeBron going there or not honestly.

Yeah, I figured it would be more heavily protected.

Top-10 isn't bad at all with Zeller on top.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
This was a solid move by DA using the TE. We get a legit young Center. Anytime I've seen him, he's played well. Will he be an all star? Probably not, but he's much better than Sully/Humps/Bass in the C position. Which moving Sully back to the PF spot makes the team better.

Thorton is a player a lot of people on hear wanted. He's a decent player, hopefully if he stays he can have a rebound season. But the best thing is the expiring contract to either open up Cap space or move in a trade.

The first round while if Lebron heads back to Cleveland wont be great, it's still a first rounder next season and thats 3 for DA to play with next year. If your Minni next summer drafting, or any other team including the C's, and trying to rebuild quick, that's a pretty sweet deal.

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Not sure if the 2nd rounder protection has been mentioned, but I just saw it for the first time just now:

Marc D'Amico @Marc_DAmico
The pick the Celtics are sending to Cleveland is top-55 protected in '15. Only way the Cavs get it is if C's are a top-5 team next season.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 11:05:06 AM by BudweiserCeltic »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Not sure if the 2nd rounder protection has been mentioned, but I just saw it for the first time just now:

Marc D'Amico ?@Marc_DAmico
The pick the Celtics are sending to Cleveland is top-55 protected in '15. Only way the Cavs get it is if C's are a top-5 team next season.
Yeah top 55 protection is standard for these sort of trades. Its the least valuable asset that is considered an "asset" for NBA trades. The NBA requires consideration on both sides of a trade.