Poll

What grade would you give Ainge and the Celtics for this trade?

A
B
C
D
F

Author Topic: Boston getting Tyler Zeller and 1st rounder from Cavs and Thorton from Nets  (Read 42403 times)

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Wondering if with this Zeller acquisition if Danny is sitting there thinking:

"Dang, I should have made the last two years of Vitor Faverani's contract team options or non-guaranteed!"

Fav and Zeller just seem like complete duplicates of each other and neither is a starting caliber center.

Not complaining about the trade just couldn't help but think we already had a guy with the same skill set as Zeller, though with perhaps less overall upside.

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Fav and Zeller just seem like complete duplicates of each other and neither is a starting caliber center.

Not complaining about the trade just couldn't help but think we already had a guy with the same skill set as Zeller, though with perhaps less overall upside.

I think they are different players. And good contrast to one another.

Faverani a big slow bulky center with physical toughness.
T.Zeller an athletic running center that lacks physicality.

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Wondering if with this Zeller acquisition if Danny is sitting there thinking:

"Dang, I should have made the last two years of Vitor Faverani's contract team options or non-guaranteed!"

The final year of Fav's contract is unguaranteed if waived before July 15, 2015, so he could function as effectively the same as an expiring contract in a trade.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
We have an actual center now. I cannot complain about whatever scrub it is. I repeat, we have an actual center on the roster.

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
We have an actual center now. I cannot complain about whatever scrub it is. I repeat, we have an actual center on the roster.
If he's the only actual center we have then we are kind of screwed, I expect Danny to bring in another center before the season starts.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Ha!  I advocated for the Thornton acquisition a few days ago just to screw Pat Riley.  Danny's obviously been reading my posts ::)

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
not a bad use of the TPE --  a real-size center and a SG that should reasonably do well next to Rondo.

need a real center to go with Zeller and Fav.  Hill's not ideal but he'll do as a place holder for a couple of seasons. if needed.

hope to see Danny make use of Bogan's, Babb's and CJ's non-guaranteed deals to bring in 1 good player if he can't pull off a bigger deal for a top player

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
If he's the only actual center we have then we are kind of screwed, I expect Danny to bring in another center before the season starts.

You do? Even after not having one for the last few seasons, you expect Danny to have at least TWO legit centers? That's asking a lot :)

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
How great would it be if this team actually made it to the playoffs, along with all of the upcoming cap space and picks... Realistically, are we really any worse than the Hawks or the Knicks? At least we have 1 and a half all-stars on this team.

;D  ;D  ;D
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Whenever you trade essentially unusable cap space for 2 1st round picks (Zeller and future pick) along with an expiring deal, you get an A.

People complaining/criticizing this are crazy.

Offline TeamGreen.dm

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9
  • here comes Banner 18
How great would it be if this team actually made it to the playoffs, along with all of the upcoming cap space and picks... Realistically, are we really any worse than the Hawks or the Knicks? At least we have 1 and a half all-stars on this team.

;D  ;D  ;D

Hawks are better positionally at almost every position. (When healthy)
"I am not going to back down from any challenge. Like I said, you are going to have to prove to me. I am a fighter; I will keep fighting and will never give up." Marcus Smart

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
not a bad use of the TPE --  a real-size center and a SG that should reasonably do well next to Rondo.

need a real center to go with Zeller and Fav.  Hill's not ideal but he'll do as a place holder for a couple of seasons. if needed.

hope to see Danny make use of Bogan's, Babb's and CJ's non-guaranteed deals to bring in 1 good player if he can't pull off a bigger deal for a top player

Why Hill? I just don't see it. Cs are up against or just over the apron or whatever it's called, and are not going to contend this year. I don't see them spending another $5M for someone like Hill. At this point, I don't expect them to use the MLE.
Celtics fan for life.

Offline MISSERY

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 12
i just got a question,
why did the nets pick karasev instead of zeller?

look... bogdanovic/karasev/brown/johnson/ and maybe anderson

and the question is would you play lopez as a starting center the whole season by not getting another injury? kg's limited minutes and plumlee's foul trouble problems

i know we need center, but why karasev over zeller, we could also used karasev though, since we have assets to get a center via trade

They have a three players who can play center, as you noted.  Karasev is Russian, so may appeal to a Russian owner, and he was reportedly a guy that the Nets have been interested in for a while.

my point is what if kg or lopez goes down, just assuming, maybe they need a jason collins who will just get dnp's

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
i just got a question,
why did the nets pick karasev instead of zeller?

look... bogdanovic/karasev/brown/johnson/ and maybe anderson

and the question is would you play lopez as a starting center the whole season by not getting another injury? kg's limited minutes and plumlee's foul trouble problems

i know we need center, but why karasev over zeller, we could also used karasev though, since we have assets to get a center via trade

They have a three players who can play center, as you noted.  Karasev is Russian, so may appeal to a Russian owner, and he was reportedly a guy that the Nets have been interested in for a while.

my point is what if kg or lopez goes down, just assuming, maybe they need a jason collins who will just get dnp's

Then they make a roster move.  What happens if one of their other starters goes down?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline NorthernLightning

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • zap
Plumlee.